atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Professor Shadow NOISE - 03/08/10 07:32 PM
Okay, I'm not a spring chicken anymore and tomorrow I will be getting my first pair of hearing aids. I need to hear again.

QUESTION: When it comes to working in a noisy environment, Rotor-Hammer, Chop Saw, Shots et cetera...

Is it best to remove the HA and put ear plugs in and then switch back and forth, or...

Noise cancelling headphones?

Anyone have experience with this?
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: NOISE - 03/09/10 04:58 AM
Most modern hearing aids will limit the amount of sound that will be passed through. So, if you're just doing a brief cut, leave them in.

If you're going to be working in the shop for a couple of hours, take them out. This will prevent some dust from building up on/in the aid. Also, you'll find that the aids aren't quite as comfortable when you're hot and sweaty.
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: NOISE - 03/09/10 07:26 AM
It's been 35 years since I worked for a Beltone dealer. But, I still pay attention to the field. I would suggest you take a look at firing range headphones. Some of them are amplified/limited. Normal conversation works fine, but loud noises, like firearms, are attenuated. Try Brownells, as 1 source.
Posted By: Test-ok Re: NOISE - 03/09/10 10:15 AM
Your question got me wondering.
Do these aids do anything for high pitch squeals?
I know nothing about hearing aids and noticed about a year ago while watchin TV (older big screen with an old surround sound and direct tv box) allot of electronic components..anyway I hear this electronic high pitch squeal (thinking hum it's the electronics)..and say to self...self damn that's not something ya want to be hearing...never thought much about it...went out side where it was as quiet as a mouse and I noticed I could still hear that pitch...so I plugged my ears and found it was coming from inside and now I hear it all the time...But I only hear it when I think about it..but that's another deal..lol.
I've heard that means my hearing is going (don't know how true that is) I can still hear well..but my electronics squeal all the time..anyway will a hearing aid help with something like that?
Posted By: CnGRacin Re: NOISE - 03/09/10 10:33 AM
Tom, what you’re describing is called tinnitus. Musicians complain about it a lot.

Quick –n- easy, first possible remedy if trying increasing you potassium intake.
Posted By: Jim Bennett Re: NOISE - 03/09/10 11:34 AM
test-ok said:
...so I plugged my ears and found it was coming from inside and now I hear it all the time...
Which is why I always tell people: Never, EVER take off your tin foil hat. Not even for a second... That's all it takes for them to get in. laugh

Sorry, I couldn't resit that. Tinnitus is a very common complaint, with the suggested causes ranging from aging to Lyme disease to "we really don't know." (The last one being the most common explanation.) I do know a LOT of people who have it (maybe it comes from listening to me yammer on?)

You mentioned that your "electronics squeal all the time." Were you referring to the tinnitus, or are you talking about actually hearing high pitched noise from electronic equipment? If it's the latter, then that means your hearing is actually quite good, at least in the very high frequency range. The switching power supplies in most modern gear makes noise that can indeed be audible, starting at frequencies of about 20 kHz, and going up from there. Most people can't hear it, but some people can. What can make it particularly vexing is that just turning "off" the equipment making the noise often doesn't stop it, because the PS often stays on all the time - you have to pull the plug to make the aliens go away.

Jim
Tightening the straps on my tin foil hat in a secure undisclosed location.
Posted By: Test-ok Re: NOISE - 03/09/10 12:38 PM
Jim

I thought it was the electronics..cause that's what they sound like...except now it sounds like I have my ear right on it..all the time...when I walk closer to the entertinment center I can start to hear the electronics from there...and there no wheres near as loud at the one in my head..but it took some investagating to figure that out...hence the walk outside and ear plug test.lol

I'll try the potassium intake..can't hurt..thanks
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: NOISE - 03/09/10 02:54 PM
I note the, uh...'salt' in your beard. Tinnitus is something that tends to come along with the 'salt'. frown I've got it in both ears, fortunately not bad yet. FYI, bananas are an easy source of potassium. Unless you don't like 'em.
Posted By: justbill Re: NOISE - 03/09/10 03:04 PM
Tinnitus is a very common complaint
Yeah, got it. My very helpful Doctor said it's because I'm getting old. Really needed to hear that. Like Tom as long as I don't think about it I can ignore it. Increasing potassium didn't help. I was told that hearing aids mask it, but I'm not ready for that.
Posted By: jwooten Re: NOISE - 03/10/10 07:39 AM
Wife is always telling me I have the TV volume too loud! Except when the commercials arrive and then it's really loud. Hearing loss, like exposure to the sun is additive throughout ones life. Would not be surprised if an epidemic gen x and y'ers shows up in 20 or 30 years!
To answer the original question, those are questions for your audiologist and/or doctor.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: NOISE - 03/10/10 09:17 AM
Thank you everybody for your input. I now have my hearing "back to normal" so please type quietly until I get use to these...

Another cause of tinnitus, besides:
  • Power Tools
  • Head Banger Music
  • Mother-in-Law*
  • Medical Conditions

Medication. Be sure to read every possible side-effect of every possible medication, over-the-counter or 'script. That way you will decide that you don't really need the medication anyway.

*Sorry. That might actually fall under the catagory: Selective Hearing. :rofl:
Posted By: Test-ok Re: NOISE - 03/10/10 10:04 AM
Don't forget to add loud pipes to that list. :scratch:
Posted By: MooreTel Re: NOISE - 03/10/10 11:55 AM
Tom, you're darn lucky I didn't take my pipes to Vegas.....it would have been real fun waking YOU up with them laugh Then again, I would have ended up in your pool
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: NOISE - 03/10/10 05:23 PM
Loud Pipes Save Lives
Posted By: Jim Bennett Re: NOISE - 03/11/10 05:06 AM
Dean,
What did the hearing Doc say about the loud noise/power tool issue? Do the units you wound up getting compensate automatically for this?

Jim
Typing quietly from a secure undisclosed location.
Posted By: emark Re: NOISE - 03/11/10 05:42 AM
I'd ALWAYS prefer my loud pipes to listening to my monster-in-law!!!
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: NOISE - 03/11/10 07:00 AM
"Medication. Be sure to read every possible side-effect of every possible medication, over-the-counter or 'script. That way you will decide that you don't really need the medication anyway."
-------------------------------------------------
Common aspirin will do it!

Dean, just a comment from an X hearing aid repair guy. You gotta want to hear, or you'll get p-o'd and take them off. Like a lot of other things. Stopping smoking as an example. We'd get a user every once in a while that just couldn't cope. Usually it was because they didn't really want to hear what was going on. (Usually their spouse was NOT a nice person.)
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: NOISE - 03/11/10 11:24 AM
Lighteninghorse...I was referring to the side effect are usually worse then the condition you are trying to remedy. laugh

Jim...they compensate, but not fast enough. I provider recommended ear muffs. I am currently out of work, so I have not been in a normal construction environment. I can't wait for my follow-up exam...It "sounds" like the higher frequencies are much "louder" than they should be. But then I can't remember the last time I heard those higher frequencies. :shrug:

The hearing aids I received are the CIC {Completely-in-Canal}. I have been wearing them full time (16 hours a day) and since I normally wear plugs at work and on my motorcycle it is not that difficult to adjust to having something in my ears.

Did they restore my hearing completely? No.
Am I satisfied? Yes.

Five days average battery life...I thought with micro-engineering that a small nuclear powerpack would be available by now. laugh
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: NOISE - 03/11/10 11:32 AM
When I am back in the employment picture I will ask the Safety Officer what they recommend regarding "a noisy environment". That's what they are there for...

I was told not to wear them in a damp environment... Sauna's and Steam Rooms are a no-no.

For some reason electronics are enviromentally sensitive. One of the hardest things is to convince a customer is that their $$$ piece of equipment won't last long if I install it in the attic.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: NOISE - 01/10/17 05:34 PM
UPDATE TO AN OLD POST

So I have has my hearing aids for almost six years.

I only take them out for sleeping and wet environments. At work I chose to just cover my ears with my hands for short LOUD bursts of noise...taking the time to replace them with earplugs just takes too long (wearing full PPE).

I really love being able to hear again.
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: NOISE - 01/10/17 06:59 PM
Good deal!
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help