atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: pananewbie Multi-site Recommendations - 10/05/10 12:40 PM
Greetings,

I have a customer with 3 buildings within close proximity (less than 1/4 mile apart). Since day 1 the customer has had issues with their T-1 service, as they are located out in the countryside, just at/beyond the maximum distance of which T-1 service can be provided from the CO.

The main office has the T-1 Connection. Building 2 has DSL service and Building 3 has internet only from the cable company.

Currently a phone system is installed at the main office with digital telephones.
The other 2 buildings are using IP telephones.

Since the T-1 is constantly slipping, the users with VoIP phones are dropping calls, getting 1-way transmission, etc.

I welcome any ideas or solutions that can be offered.

Thanks in advance,
Nick
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Multi-site Recommendations - 10/05/10 04:24 PM
Radio shots. Do a search, your problem has been discussed recently.
Posted By: mdaniel Re: Multi-site Recommendations - 10/05/10 06:40 PM
If your buildings has line of site with each other, a GOOD quality point to point wireless LAN may be the answer.

Hope this helps,

Good Luck.
Posted By: pananewbie Re: Multi-site Recommendations - 10/06/10 04:56 AM
Please read the post a little closer. The T-1 service from the provider is poor. A wireless LAN will not resolve this issue.
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Multi-site Recommendations - 10/06/10 05:34 AM
Our suggestions are to do without the T1 for building-to-building. If the buildings have roof-to-roof line of site, radio shots are probably your best choice all around. If all the buildings are on adjacent land pieces, buried cable may be an option. There just isn't any magic here. frown
As for the erratic T1, try another provider, contract to specify 99% UP TIME.
Posted By: upstateny Re: Multi-site Recommendations - 10/06/10 05:36 AM
Are the IP phones connected to the system at site 1 or are they stand alone / SIP phones? If they are IP sets off the system your problem may not be the T but the connection between sites.... and a good wireless connection might help.

Are the digital sets experiencing issues as well? ... that would point to issues with the T.

Seems to me if the telco is going to sell you a T then it should be willing to insure that it works.
Posted By: Silversam Re: Multi-site Recommendations - 10/06/10 05:38 AM
Originally posted by Lightninghorse:
Radio shots. Do a search, your problem has been discussed recently.
As lightninghorse said:

Radio shots. i.e. Microwave. For the initial T-carrier connection. Look for a vendor who can deliver "T"s on MW; either from the CO or from a CLEC.

This is assuming that fiber is not available.
Posted By: mgere Re: Multi-site Recommendations - 10/06/10 06:30 AM
Have them fix the T1 so it doesn't slip. I wouldn't pay for a under performing circuit. If the carrier installed the circuit then it should work properly. Make them fix it and your issues will be resolved.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help