atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Xcountry Hotel wireless??? - 01/12/11 03:43 PM
Does anyone have any good solutions for implementing a wireless system with as minimal cabling as possible?
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: Hotel wireless??? - 01/12/11 04:17 PM
I hope not. Most of us make a living installing wires.
Posted By: TekMason Re: Hotel wireless??? - 01/12/11 06:24 PM
Cisco has a "mesh" wireless solution where WAPs are not only client access points but repeaters/relays to other WAPs. That may be an option for you but you will need to get power to them.
Posted By: mdaniel Re: Hotel wireless??? - 01/12/11 06:52 PM
Originally posted by TekMason:
Cisco has a "mesh" wireless solution where WAPs are not only client access points but repeaters/relays to other WAPs. That may be an option for you but you will need to get power to them.
Same here with Proxim .
We usaully use a good quality POE swicth to power the AP's instead of local power.
Posted By: TekMason Re: Hotel wireless??? - 01/12/11 07:41 PM
mdaniel,
The original question from Xcountry was:
Does anyone have any good solutions for implementing a wireless system with as minimal cabling as possible?
If you are using a POE switch to power the WAPs aren't you running wire to do that?
So why would you use a mesh technology with it's inherent throughput limitations and complexity?
TekMason
Posted By: metelcom Re: Hotel wireless??? - 01/13/11 04:05 AM
Check out Omni-Wifi there have wifi units that are made for that reason.
Posted By: Xcountry Re: Hotel wireless??? - 01/13/11 07:46 AM
This is what we have been looking at but Motorola is very hard to work with. Hp puts out something similar but we haven't been able to find too much info on it. Just wondering if you fine gents may be out there implementing something of this sort!

https://www.motorola.com/web/Busine...less_WallPlate_specsheet.pdf?localeId=33
Posted By: mdaniel Re: Hotel wireless??? - 01/13/11 03:59 PM
Originally posted by TekMason:
If you are using a POE switch to power the WAPs aren't you running wire to do that?
So why would you use a mesh technology with it's inherent throughput limitations and complexity?
TekMason
That would depend on the size Hotel/Motel you are talking about.
I miss read your ?, I was referring to seamless hand off. But do see you point as far has mesh goes for the larger installs.
The Proxims we use does this, but have also seen a demo for the product Merritt recommended and they seem to work pretty well also.

Sorry for my miss read.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help