atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: TeletypeJoe What is this tool for? - 03/12/11 12:01 AM
Hi,

I just received a Western Electric tool that I thought was for removing the finger wheel from dial telephones. Unfortunately, the probe did not fit. However, it is a well made device, and cost only a couple of bucks, and the seller shipped it for a buck. Cannot complain at all. I would like to know what it is for. The probe tip is spring loaded.

It is labled in very tiny letters KS-2348.

Here it is assembled.

[Linked Image from i83.photobucket.com]

Here it is taken apart. It is quite well constructed, of course as it is WECO!

[Linked Image from i83.photobucket.com]

Thanks for any help with this!

Joe
Posted By: JPGolan Re: What is this tool for? - 03/12/11 01:45 AM
https://pkneuses.com/www.pkneuses.com/scre.htm
Posted By: TeletypeJoe Re: What is this tool for? - 03/12/11 02:17 AM
Thankyou! Even though it is not what I was looking for, it will have a set place in my toolkit.

Joe
Posted By: KLD Re: What is this tool for? - 03/12/11 04:46 AM
The SWBT way was a small plastic handle with a wire sticking out with a cap like a ball point pen....and was always lost. Just use a paper clip to insert through the wheel and depress the spring tang as you apply pressure clockwise....oh, did I tell you you needed to rotate the fingerwheel all the way clockwise first????? laugh

Then to remove the face plate you will find a latching ring that needs to be turned counter clock wise and lifted. Once it is removed the faceplate will just lift up....faceplates make great frisbees..... :rofl: :shrug: :toothy:
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: What is this tool for? - 03/12/11 06:54 AM
I have a combination spudger and dial removal tool.
Monarch Molding SC-200
[Linked Image from monarchmoldinginc.com]
Posted By: justbill Re: What is this tool for? - 03/12/11 06:54 AM
The tool you have was for working on Jacks, 310 type, the pin held the screw and the blade removed or replaced the screw. The screws had a hole in them for the pin. There were other things it was used for, but can't remember what.

Like Ken said, paper clip. Even better was a piece or aerial drop wire, old not the new stuff.
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: What is this tool for? - 03/12/11 08:47 AM
I had an ITT manual that actually stated 'depress locking tab with tool ##XXXXX or a straightened paper clip'. The quoted part was some of a lonnnnng dissertation on how to remove the finger wheel.
Posted By: justbill Re: What is this tool for? - 03/12/11 04:00 PM
Guess I should have said cord board instead of 310 jacks/plugs. You might know what I was talking about then. laugh
Posted By: KLD Re: What is this tool for? - 03/12/11 05:45 PM
Yeah, Bill, cord board.....we used to have a "crimper" that we cranked that placed the clips on the cords...then the little screw to the bracket after the weight was on the cord. Try that laying on the floor under the board or upside down with the tray raised...some fun! laugh
Posted By: Jim Bennett Re: What is this tool for? - 03/13/11 03:35 AM
Bill, it's all good - we knew exactly what you were talking about, the venerable 310 plug. For you young guys, that is the classic tip-ring-sleeve plug used on cordboards, jack frames, patch panels, testing frames, and CO and field test equipment. I was scratching my head trying to remember where I has seen the tiny "hole-in-head" screws, until your post kick-started my sluggish old brain.

If my memory can be trusted, the 310 was/is the "standard" version, with a diameter of about 0.25". IIRC, there is also the smaller 309 plug, with a diameter of about 0.2", and ADC and others make a very high-density version that is about 0.174". I mention these because they are actually still used [the smaller diameter ones] all the time, contrary to the popular belief that they are only found on antique equipment. If anyone doubts this, take a look at the test point jacks on a brand spanking new T1 or HDSL CPE card ["smartjack" card].

Somewhere I have some new-in-the-bag Western Electric 310 plugs [they may actually be ADC or Switchcraft, with a "KS" number]. In the package, along with the brass plug body and the insulating barrel, is a bag with the tiny "hole in head" screws, and some of the tiniest solder lug ring terminals I have ever seen. Those were the days when things were furnished complete with all the parts one needed to make a complete assembly. Ah, memories.

Jim
Speaking from a secure undisclosed location.
Posted By: TeletypeJoe Re: What is this tool for? - 03/13/11 03:43 AM
Sounds like something that I should become very familiar with... especially the hole in the head part. Fits me to a tee! :rofl:
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: What is this tool for? - 03/13/11 07:17 AM
The little brass screws were replaced in later times with nylon ones, because of electrical shocks that might occur during times when the sleeve of a plug would be energized with respect to the frame ground of a manual switchboard.

Of course, the nylon ones would strip easily, and then old brass ones from used cords hiding in the dusty bottom of the board would be installed.
Posted By: Silversam Re: What is this tool for? - 03/13/11 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Jim Bennett:
If anyone doubts this, take a look at the test point jacks on a brand spanking new T1 or HDSL CPE card ["smartjack" card].

Jim
Speaking from a secure undisclosed location.
Jim -

It's been about 10 years since I did any transmission work, but my Sunset bag always had 310 cords as well as the smaller high density ones, which s you said are used extensively in T-1 circuits. There was one piece of (T-Carrier) equipment that used 310 plugs. For the life of me I can't remember which one. Maybe it was a T-Berd? Or maybe one of the older Muxes....

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Sam
Posted By: Mark K. Re: What is this tool for? - 03/13/11 07:09 PM
apparently it's all older then me.
Posted By: Spuds Re: What is this tool for? - 03/15/11 03:10 PM
I forgot about the ariel drop wire tool. I always used that.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help