atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Old blond hippity hopping Bunnie Small amp needed - 05/02/11 10:48 PM
Trying to help out a sales rep that made a promise.

She made a nice sale and the customer wanted this tiny microphone put in the server room and run 100 ft. down to her desk.

I assumed she wanted it concealed but not the case (you could put 15 of these on your fingernail).

I know she doesn't need a huge paging amp. but that is about all I've put in and I know there are no volume controls on a pre-amp.

Got any good ideas what to put in for her? For whatever reason she wants to be able to listen into what is going on in the server room but I am assuming a more realistic microphone and amp would be needed, just never had a call for this kind of application.

Thanks, Bunnie
Posted By: Clinton Re: Small amp needed - 05/02/11 10:58 PM
How about a baby monitor?
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Small amp needed - 05/03/11 01:52 AM
You might have to play with the impedance, but how about a pair of computer speakers? I have the Creative Travelsound portable set, and tons of the AC powered two speakers that plug into a PC. Best of all, you can try it for free and only buy one if it works.

Carl
Posted By: metelcom Re: Small amp needed - 05/03/11 04:03 AM
It sounds like she is going to listen in on people which would be a violation of federal privacy laws. If she has a mic input on her PC you could use that.
Posted By: mforrence Re: Small amp needed - 05/03/11 04:10 AM
I would ABSOLUTELY have her sign a "hold harmless" agreement. As others have said, you could put mic/preamp in server room and just a speaker on her desk.
Mike
Posted By: DND ON Re: Small amp needed - 05/03/11 05:10 AM
Audio and video monitoring of employees is perfectly legal, if they are aware that it is taking place. Rest rooms, changing areas, etc. obviously excluded.
Posted By: skip555 Re: Small amp needed - 05/03/11 05:12 AM
I would ABSOLUTELY have her sign a "hold harmless" agreement.
that's not going to do a bit of good you can't have someone agree to let you break the law .
Audio and video monitoring of employees is perfectly legal
Ive done some research on it for a job and its not a black and white issue

I suggest you talk to a attorney as to CA law and your liability to protect yourself or pass on the job

that said , a local CATV supplier here has mics and stickers you put on all entrances to the bldg informing anyone who enters that audio is being recorded . I just got a sale flyer from them and one of the items is a hidden camera with audio built into a non functioning motion detector for 40

they also sell the mics and can help you set it up
PM sent

the main national CATV supplier wont sell the stuff because of the legal ramifications
Posted By: MnDave Re: Small amp needed - 05/03/11 06:39 AM
I would consider installing the system but with a doorbell button for a "push to talk" function. If the customer chose to bypass the button I don't think I would be held liable. In a similar fashion, I have installed M-O-H jacks for Info-On-Hold devices but have seen the customer plug in a music player instead. If the customer modifies or uses the device in a manner different than what I set it up for, could I still be liable?
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Small amp needed - 05/03/11 07:11 AM
Take a look at RDL. They have all kinds of amplifiers etc.
Posted By: skip555 Re: Small amp needed - 05/03/11 07:17 AM
If the customer modifies or uses the device in a manner different than what I set it up for, could I still be liable?
people go to law school and get degrees just to debate issues like that .

in a situation like this if a employee feels their privacy is invaded and sues , you may be included at which point liability isn't the issue but the cost to defend yourself can far outweigh the profits on the job

the chances of legal problems from covert recordings is far greater than MOH violation in my opinion

things like the push to talk button or disclaimers for the customer to sign just show that your aware of the issues
Posted By: hbiss Re: Small amp needed - 05/03/11 08:28 AM
Does their phone system support hands free answer on intercom (Avaya lingo)? Hang a phone on the wall and if she doesn't like that it beeps when called then she is doing something underhanded.

-Hal
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Small amp needed - 05/03/11 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Old blond hippity hopping Bunnie:
Trying to help out a sales rep that made a promise.
***Sigh***
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Small amp needed - 05/03/11 09:33 AM
Where did she get the mic? They probably sell amps and speakers to go with the mic. Probably be the easiest way to deal with the problem. Often the attempt to save money gets REAL expensive!
Posted By: BillFlippen Re: Small amp needed - 05/03/11 03:24 PM
on a side note, maybe she just wants to hear the soothing drone of the server fans?

I am curious about how we can be held liable if the customer issues the work to be done and the customer uses it.
What if you just put everything in place and then said "to make it work, just plug this in to here" If merely installing things make us liable, then what about if they patched into a pre-ran 25-pair?

It seems that holding us liable for a customer's action is like making Smith & Wesson responsable for a murder or Ford and Jack Daniels responsable for a DUI accident.
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Small amp needed - 05/03/11 03:30 PM
I was told that my butt was on the line for helping a customer pirate HBO into his bar.
I didn't even hesitate to make sure I got my stuff out. I wasn't going to test that "held liable" part.

Carl
Posted By: hbiss Re: Small amp needed - 05/03/11 04:39 PM
It seems that holding us liable for a customer's action is like making Smith & Wesson responsable for a murder or Ford and Jack Daniels responsable for a DUI accident.

Guess you don't read the news. That's exactly what the schyster lawyers have done. Nobody takes responsibility for their actions today. It's always somebody elses fault and the sad fact is the dumb ass courts agree half the time.

-Hal
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: Small amp needed - 05/03/11 06:18 PM
Here's how Ma Bell did it: Receiver unit out of a G handset, pair of wires, and a Spokesman® speaker.

Sneaky way: Use the receiver in a wall set. Put the additional pair right across the two white handset leads.

I am not advocating any illegal activity, just explaining the concept from an electrical standpoint.
Posted By: stirling Re: Small amp needed - 05/08/11 04:31 PM
HI all, been lurking for a while, and really enjoy the site and the knowledge found here.
One possibility that hasn't been mentioned, is that this client might want to hear the audible alarms, like the RAID alarms for her servers. Not the best way to monitor server health, but it's a possibility.
Posted By: KENB Re: Small amp needed - 05/09/11 05:47 AM
How about Aiphone ,they may have a unit wall mountable or hidden in ceiling behind speaker
plate.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help