atcomsystems.ca/forum
Hi folks,
I have DSL service to our Church that's on a separate network than the "primary" Church network.

We have three (3) different buildings on site, and I'm wondering if I can, somehow, connect all three buildings to the same DSL network? How would I do that?

The DSL modem is in located in Bldg. 1, and Bldg. 2 & 3 are appx. 50-150 feet away from Bldg. 1. The main telco closet and PBX wiring, etc., are all located in Bldg. 2.

There's a telco junction box (I think that's what it's called) in the concrete sidewalk with a lid on it located right in the middle of all three buildings.

I'd like to offer wifi at all three buildings by having an access point located within each buildings.

Comments? Suggestions?

Thank you!

Ed
Of course it can be done...get a qualified CG in there to give you your options. I don't get to say THAT very often on this forum!
google 'mesh'
Ed Flecko,
What you are wanting to do is defiantly doable.
My advise would be for you to contact a local voice and data interconnect company for a quote to connect your 3 buildings.

Depending exactly where you are located in CA, there may be some people here on the board that may be able to help you out with this.

Good Luck
like mike said , you just need to understand what your doing .

you aren't extending DSL per se your bringing DSL to a central point then extending a Ethernet network (wired or WIFI) to the other locations
Like Skip555 said... You're just extending the existing TCP/IP network to all three buildings. How you do it is all just site design / physical-layer. The DSL proper (modem, router) can remain in just the one location.

Now, a question (this being a church, and me being familiar with how those projects sometimes go...) -- Do you NEED internet at all three buildings?

Okay, sure, if you have a school/preschool, you need the classrooms and/or lab to be able to access the internet (as a computer lab or a library are usually a certification requirement). And the admin people need to access the internet for website updates, email, etc. -- but much of the campus probably doesn't need internet.

Case in point: I did some volunteer work for a church with a school and preschool. We set up a Peer-to-peer network in the admin area, and then we set up a lab in the same building for the school. Well, the principal wanted every classroom to have two computers, each with internet access. Me and a buddy spent our vacations that year running cables to 6 classrooms in 5 modular buildings, and adding hubs in three locations to achieve this goal.

Come to find out, the teachers were asking to *remove* computers (they tend to take space and to be a distraction) and just wanted students to use the lab during the designated "Computer" classes.

And it turned out that the "computer classes" consisted mainly of "keyboarding" (typing) and "how to look stuff up on the internet."

So the network we put together was serious overkill. Which brings me back to my point: Are you SURE that you NEED DSL at all three buildings? Because if there's not a plan and a purpose for it, it's overkill and you'd be better off using the time and resources elsewhere.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help