atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: TeletypeJoe Sad but true (and funny) story. - 10/21/11 07:54 PM
This morning, my better half called me up and told me about her friend's business that had developed terrible computer issues. I am not a CG, and really dislike doing anything with computers other than using them as a communication tool as I am doing here. Anyway, I asked what the problem was. Well, several days ago, my wife's friend had eight new LAN ports installed, (I am sure you already know what happened) and paid a fortune for them. Any way, when this person went to use the new computers, they didn't work. Not at all...they barely were able to log onto the server, after thirty minutes or so.

So my wife's friend called the "contractor" who installed the lan up and complained. Said nincompoop came out and "tested" the ports, (with a computer "cable tester") and said all was well, the problem must be with the computers/server, then told her to go call the server company.

Well, sensing a good laugh and a possible check, I went to the place of business with the dead LAN ports, and sure enough, the computers didn't work. The lady who owns the business had been told by my my wife that I 'like phones and things, maybe he can help you'. I did not even bring in my tool kit which I left in the truck, but had a pocket screwdriver. Just as I suspected after she described what happened, the "LAN ports" were screw terminal RJ45s (I think) for telephones. There was at least four sometimes five inches of exposed wire that had been untwisted. Sure, they would show on a cheap continuity checker that the LAN wires were properly connected, but that not in fact that this was a lan.

She asked if I could fix this, and I said no... simply because I am not qualified to do CAT5e work, (I really could in a pinch, and have in the past) but also because she was in no mood to pay me what I wanted after paying her "contractor" to do a (deleted) job of installing the LAN ports.

I told her that I thought that she needed to get a 1A2 system to make everything work right. She declined. I think she was glad when I left!

Oh well. I guess I am too old school.

Joe
Posted By: MooreTel Re: Sad but true (and funny) story. - 10/22/11 04:21 AM
Originally posted by TeletypeJoe:
....I told her that I thought that she needed to get a 1A2 system to make everything work right. She declined...
I'm glad she did or you would have been in the same category as the last guy... :rolleyes:
Posted By: TeletypeJoe Re: Sad but true (and funny) story. - 10/22/11 08:40 AM
Actually, I would have still declined to install it as I am not qualified to do that. 1A2 is just my hobby. I would defer to a REAL phone man to do that installation. All I do is coax installs, as I am not only qualified to do that but have had formal training in the past in CATV and Satellite installation.

Best,

Joe
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Sad but true (and funny) story. - 10/22/11 11:43 AM
Let me guess, the electrician ran the data cables?
Posted By: John Osvatic Re: Sad but true (and funny) story. - 10/22/11 12:12 PM
Quote from a Marketing manager turned Technician manager; " You don't need special skills to do your job. I can hire anyone off the street and get the same if not better results"
Posted By: Steve Mull Re: Sad but true (and funny) story. - 10/24/11 08:51 AM
I was told that once , so I quit and let them find out
Posted By: SwedaGuy Re: Sad but true (and funny) story. - 10/24/11 11:02 AM
We just had a similar situation at our local museum...guy from CenturyTel installed a line from one room to another and put 8P8C jacks on both ends, fancying that a patch cable to each device would do it. Of course it worked, at somewhere around 4Mbps...
Posted By: John Osvatic Re: Sad but true (and funny) story. - 10/25/11 11:02 AM
CT decided to cut our two landlines over to PG Flex (multiple dial tone on a single pair) because they were out of pairs. When they got done my dialup modem speed dropped in half. I tried to explain digital line sharing of multiple channels but was told to buy DSL.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help