atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Bell System, R.I.P. - 01/30/12 08:56 AM
I tried to call a guy who fixes automobile generators and electrical components. He's holding a repaired alternator for my Dodge pick-up, and I want to check if he's open today.

Here are the results of my multiple attempts to call him:

Verizon calls = immediate reorder.

Vonage calls = rings 12 times, followed by recording advising that all circuits are busy, and to try my call later.

Optimum Voice calls = immediate "number disconnected" intercept recording.

On none of these calls were SIT's transmitted, as required by tariff.

<sigh>
Posted By: Derrick Re: Bell System, R.I.P. - 01/30/12 01:48 PM
You can add COX voice manager lines to the list of ones that are not dependable like the old copper Bell System.

And what happens...we techs get irate calls from our customers blaming our equipment.

My brother who is an alarm tech told me that AT&T cellular will not pass tones (no end to end dtmf) after a call is completed so no way to input digits to an auto attendant, or other non IVR system.
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: Bell System, R.I.P. - 01/31/12 08:18 PM
Follow-up:

I drove by the place today. All signs removed, windows boarded up, "For Rent" sign on a stick at the driveway.

I guess I'm never gonna see my alternator again.
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: Bell System, R.I.P. - 02/01/12 06:52 AM
But aleast you can't blame the Bell System
Posted By: GreggP Re: Bell System, R.I.P. - 02/01/12 07:09 AM
Arthur, try speaking to the Landlord, he might let you in to see if your alternator is still there or at least give you a forwarding address for your shade tree mechanic. Worth a shot if your a glib talker. Im often quite amazed at what I can talk my way into and out of.

If there are any junkyards nearby, you can likely get another one for what you were going to pay anyhow.
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: Bell System, R.I.P. - 02/01/12 08:34 AM
Thanks for the advice. The building is completely vacant. The cops don't know where the previous owner is, and they have been collecting names and numbers of customers who want their stuff back. Their attitude is that the situation is a civil matter. I'm not about to hire a lawyer for $500 to write a letter to get a $100 alternator back.

Live and learn.
Posted By: telecom guy10 Re: Bell System, R.I.P. - 02/14/12 05:50 PM
Derrick, from lots of personal experience I can assure you that AT&T wireless phones most certainly do pass DTMF on calls. You wouldn't even be able to reach 611 customer service and navigate their menus if this was true. I have an AT&T iPhone 4 myself, as well as a Sprint/Nextel iDEN i670 and both pass DTMF, so I'm not sure your brother told you that. Perhaps DTMF on calls was turned off? I know I can do that on my Nextel.
Posted By: telecom guy10 Re: Bell System, R.I.P. - 02/19/12 03:00 PM
I think my post may have come off as rude and harsh, which isn't what I intended. I also left out a few words in my third sentence without realizing, which may have made it sound rude. I meant to put "so I'm not sure why your brother thought that."

My apologies.
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: Bell System, R.I.P. - 02/19/12 04:08 PM
I called the neighbor of the landlord, whose wife told the husband to look for the alternator in a box with my contact info. He looked, he found, he contacted, I got Mr. Alternator back. I'm so happy.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Bell System, R.I.P. - 02/19/12 05:27 PM
I love it when a plan comes together!
Posted By: mbhydro Re: Bell System, R.I.P. - 02/19/12 07:00 PM
Hopefully they fixed it properly before they closed up shop.

It would be a pain to find that your alternator does not work properly after you put it back in your truck.
Posted By: GreggP Re: Bell System, R.I.P. - 02/28/12 11:59 AM
Glad you got it back, actually, if they were that bad at doing business maybe you dont want one they worked on LOL.
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: Bell System, R.I.P. - 02/28/12 02:13 PM
No, it was in the same condition as when I dropped it off. I have taken it to a different shop, about twenty miles away, to have the rebuild done.
Posted By: jwooten Re: Bell System, R.I.P. - 02/28/12 03:37 PM
In years past the diodes were press fitted into the housing. Rebuilt a few! Give me a generator any day! :toast:
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: Bell System, R.I.P. - 02/28/12 04:17 PM
Originally posted by jwooten:
In years past the diodes were press fitted into the housing. Rebuilt a few! Give me a generator any day! :toast:
Used a straightened paper clip to hold back the armature brushes? laugh
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help