atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: groundstart Laptops - 10/07/04 05:30 AM
I have noticed that all the new laptops all have USB ports. Most of the fone systems and VM systems have the rs232/db connections.

Is there any compatible problems with the USB/DB converters??

Also, is the Celeron processor worth buying?

Also, I have it narrowed down to Toshiba Satellite or HP/Compak. Which do you all recommend?

THank you, Mitch
Posted By: upstateny Re: Laptops - 10/07/04 06:34 AM
I bouught a USB to Serial converter and software from radio shack - works like a charm
Posted By: SSPhone Re: Laptops - 10/07/04 06:35 AM
Mitch
The Dell's still have a DB9 serial connection and I would buy a Pentium if you are going to use it for more than just to connect and program systems.
Posted By: groundstart Re: Laptops - 10/07/04 07:46 AM
what model DELL is recommended....

it must have Wireless built in........
Posted By: Crabb Re: Laptops - 10/07/04 10:54 AM
A Celeron and Pentium are the same processor with the major difference is the on-board cache and bus speed. They do that to keep cost down and pick up the value buyers market. It helps keep the price of the PC down to lure in the market share of people that won't spend $1500 for a PC to just surf the net. If money is an issue I would buy the Celeron because PC's are soo fast nowadays that very few people really use the computing power of a 3GHZ machine with 1GB of RAM. I don't think you would notice the performance difference unless you were a major gamer or running a database server.

[This message has been edited by Crabb (edited October 07, 2004).]
Posted By: paul144 Re: Laptops - 10/07/04 11:06 AM
You mean that you guys use your computers for something other than gaming and web-surfing?? How strange...

But seriously, I love my Dell.

[This message has been edited by paul144 (edited October 08, 2004).]
Posted By: americom Re: Laptops - 10/11/04 08:52 AM
This is a great topic. Just recently bought a new Fijitsu laptop that has an A: drive and CD/DVD drive built in, no hot swap. It also has a 9 pin serial built in on back. I searched for a few weeks looking for a laptop with everything on it, A: drive, 9 pin serial, CD rom drive and it was hard to find. Seems like most laptops had everything but the 9 pin serial or had that but you had to hot swap the CD rom with an A: drive.
On my old laptop, (compaq) the docking station (wich had my 9 pin srial) fell into a bucket of oil at an auto repair garage when i was doing some programming. After i lost that in the oil i was forced to use a usb to serial converter and it worked with some systems and some it didnt work with. Oh well.
Posted By: sidetone Re: Laptops - 10/11/04 02:44 PM
I use a dell Inspiron 9100, and a USB adapter. (no problems) I choose Dell to take advantage of the "No matter how you broke it" warranty. (they call it "Complete care" )
I'm sure some of you probably think it's a bit much for telephony, but I use it as my main computer at work & home, so I wanted all the bell's & whistles.....besides, I get quite a good workout lugging it around! [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]

[This message has been edited by sidetone (edited October 11, 2004).]
Posted By: sidetone Re: Laptops - 10/11/04 02:59 PM
I use a dell Inspiron 9100, and a USB adapter. (no problems) I choose Dell to take advantage of the "No matter how you broke it" warranty. (they call it "Complete care" )
I'm sure some of you probably think it's a bit much for telephony, but I use it as my main computer at work & home, so I wanted all the bell's & whistles.....besides, I get quite a good workout lugging it artound! [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
Posted By: Z-man Re: Laptops - 10/11/04 04:18 PM
I got SSPhone hooked up with a new D600. Hey Steve, how is the laptop working out?
Posted By: SSPhone Re: Laptops - 10/11/04 04:20 PM
Wish I knew. My son has it at college.
Posted By: Z-man Re: Laptops - 10/11/04 09:53 PM
Lucky kid!
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: Laptops - 01/10/05 11:34 PM
It's been a while since there was discussion on this thread, but I didn't see much sense in starting a new one, when some of my questions have already been addressed here.

I have come to the point where I need another laptop. We are looking to only spend up to about $800. Dell has a pretty good deal on their Outlet site (refurbs), and with their current discount offers, I can get a 2.6ghz Celeron with 512 DDR Ram and a CDRW for about $775. One problem with this one is that it doesn't have a serial port.

It looks like there have been mixed results with the USB to serial adapters. I program mostly Comdial products, but also others. Some programs are DOS-like programs. Anyone have problems relating to these type of programs?

What do you all think of the Dell refurbs, pricing, features, etc. Any other suggestions?

We had previously had issues with some Toshiba and Compaq laptops when programming the Comdial DX80. Databases were getting corrupted. We had gotten some feedback from Comdial regarding how these manufacturer's laptops don't have true serial ports, and therefore can cause problems. Comdial never "officially" released anything along these lines. Others have had no issues. Since then, just to be on the safe side, we have stuck with Dell and IBM. What has been others' experiences with these laptops. I see that many people love their Toshibas. Has anyone else had similar issues?

[This message has been edited by 5years&counting (edited January 10, 2005).]
Posted By: martin Re: Laptops - 01/11/05 02:32 AM
5years
i bought a lattitude 600 because it is used for more than programming. and of course the
serial port issue. iv,e had it over a year
now and no issues whatsoever. i also have an
old SWAN i bought from a customer for a back up.
m
Posted By: MrGemini Re: Laptops - 01/11/05 05:41 AM
Has anyone else used this site or company?
I've had pretty good luck.
https://www.usedlaptops.com/aboutus.htm
Thanks, Gem

------------------
Don't get me started!
Posted By: Z-man Re: Laptops - 01/11/05 05:12 PM
You can get a Dell refurbed Inspiron 600m for under a $1000. Great machine and has a serial port.

If you want to spend a few hundred bucks more, I can get you a brand new D600 with a 3 year complete care warranty. I have a few avenues for special pricing. The complete care is nice because is covers everything and is next day.
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: Laptops - 01/11/05 11:35 PM
Has anyone looked at or used a HP Omnibook, specifically the VT6200? It has a P4M, 1.4GHz. This one includes a serial port. Refurbished for 799.00 (256MB ram) or 859.00 (512).
Posted By: Punch Down Re: Laptops - 01/12/05 06:33 AM
I'm on my 3rd Toshiba and went thru 2 HP's and a Dell since 1995. I'm rough on them ---- the Dell and 1 HP stolen. Anyway, the only reason for the 3 Toshibas was upgrading from Win 3.1 to Win 95 to Win 2000. Never had a bit of trouble out of the Toshibas. The HP and Dell would be last choice. Never once encountered serial or data corruption even using for remote programming. Just for your info 5 Yrs - the new F39 you must have a cable pinned out with RTS/CTS or will you never hook up
Posted By: bullcube Re: Laptops - 01/12/05 10:24 AM
If I was going to go with a brand name, I'd go Toshiba or maybe IBM. My IBM is 4.5 years old and running fine (just a little slow), but I don't know if they still make them as good.
If battery life is important I'd go with Centrino. If the laptop is running on batteries the Celeron and Pentium 4 will have the same bus speed, so the difference would probably not be noticed. The P4 will ramp the bus speed back up when it is plugged in however for more power.
Posted By: groundstart Re: Laptops - 01/12/05 12:11 PM
i got my a60 shiba for the holidays.....celeron with 512 ram and 60 gig hd.......i sit on my recliner with a cold beer in hand while my wireless router is in the other room.......i luv it............

nice screen and layout, although the sound could be a little louder......go with shiba.....
Posted By: ClassOfService Re: Laptops - 01/12/05 02:55 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by groundstart:
I have noticed that all the new laptops all have USB ports. Most of the fone systems and VM systems have the rs232/db connections.

Is there any compatible problems with the USB/DB converters??
</font>

I can state that NEC has seen instances whereby the USB/rs232 converters not work for say, their Key Telephone System line .. (EliteMail/ElectraElite, ECTI, etc) .. But work for the bigger 2000/2400 switches. At the same time I've seen instances where another converter can't connect to the big switches, but can connect to the KTS equipment. Weirdness.

------------------
NEC Unified Solutions / Voice Mail and Unified Messaging | Active Voice, LLC

[Linked Image from necunified.com] [Linked Image from activevoice.com]
Posted By: BaKaatz Re: Laptops - 01/12/05 03:03 PM
We have been using the Dell Inspiron 600m. Has a built in serial port, built in ethernet and wireless. Plenty of power and storage space. Works well with the older "classic" systems we service as well as the new systems.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help