atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: TK Who has the best system - 11/12/04 01:58 PM
Everybody says that they have the best phone system but is there a place that actually rates all the systems. (Sm, Med, Lg, & IP Systems)
Posted By: codasco704 Re: Who has the best system - 11/12/04 02:38 PM
I don't know of any, but maybe someone here does. I do know one thing, though: everybody will have a different "best" system. Even if you were to ask here, you would get 10 different answers! I suggest you search around the internet for different systems, look at their features, the company's reputtaion, and availability of parts, and then make your own decision.

....that aside, I would stay away from less known companies such as Bizfon or Win and stick with big ones such as Avaya, Nortel, NEC, Panasonic, Comdial, etc.
Posted By: JWRacedog Re: Who has the best system - 11/12/04 02:53 PM
TK:
I used to get about 4 or 5 of the most popular telephony trade magazines---they would review and rate various PBXs, Keys Systems, Gizmos & Whatchimacalits. It was all very good reading--for awhile--but in the end--it all depends on what you need, do you like the look & feel of the telephone, how much money do you have to spend, and who is going to install, service, and maintain that equipment---. Also--those reviewers just love to talk about equipment that is on the cutting edge---most businesses cannot afford to be on that edge---it costs too much to be a guinea pig. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Who has the best system - 11/12/04 04:16 PM
I know you think my answer is going to be bias but surprise.

All phone systems have their specialties and unless you are going to be cutting edge all phone systems can do much the same thing. As was previously mentioned you need to look at who is doing the installation and whether or not they are going to be there for you in the long run. Also, you need to look at the manufacturer of the phone equipment: How long have they been selling phone equipment, have they tried to sell the company and if so why, what type of warranty is the manufacturer willing to give, is the warranty direct from them or through a 3rd party company. Those in my opinion are more important questions than who's system is the best.

[This message has been edited by thall - Samsung Rep (edited November 12, 2004).]
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: Who has the best system - 11/14/04 07:48 PM
Good point. In the very simple area almost all phone systems do the same things. The question is when you go to purchase a phone system besides service, you need to ask hard questions about the capabilities of the equipment. Some companies will "shoe-horn" you into a piece of equipment knowing that if you add 2 phones later you have to forklift the thing and replace the main processor or the whole unit. Alot of "hybrid" system will tell you they can do everything a true pbx can, I laugh at this one routinely, but beware of this claim. I have my favorite system as I have worked on most large systems like Siemens, Nortel, Tadiran, and Fugitsu. Also talk about numbering plans...yes a simple question but it's important and not all phone systems are flexible. Ask hard question and demand answers...no question is stupid.
Posted By: tpayson Re: Who has the best system - 11/18/04 02:50 PM
What phone system is best can only be answered if you define "best". Every system has its own unique set of features and benefits. Most systems have the same feature sets (there's just so much a telephone can do), there are core features that are common even on the smallest key system up through large hybrids and into the multi cabinet PBX. Just about every system conforms to 5 9's of uptime, so reliability is pretty much a wash (except PC based systems). Handset functionality and durability are key areas that set systems apart. Shiny plastic phones look great when they are new, but after a few months of use in a dusty environment they don't fair so well. If you define what you're looking for to make the "best" system, I can help you out.
Posted By: paul144 Re: Who has the best system - 11/19/04 06:12 AM
Any number of systems are good, but poor installation, training, and support can make the best system a nightmare. A really good vendor can make a mediocre system shine.

------------------
Intertel Telephone Repair
Toshiba Telephone Repair
Posted By: Milestone Re: Who has the best system - 12/11/04 12:16 PM
Amen to that! Although by the same token you can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by paul144:
Any number of systems are good, but poor installation, training, and support can make the best system a nightmare. A really good vendor can make a mediocre system shine.

</font>

------------------
Milestone Technologies
One stop solutions for all of your Telecom, Data and VoIP needs

[This message has been edited by Milestone (edited December 11, 2004).]
Posted By: Rolm9751 Re: Who has the best system - 01/13/05 01:38 PM
"Best" is relative to what is required. What is best for one user may not be best for another. Regardless of the vast array of features available that I couldn't even begin to touch on here, some key things that I require in a system to qualify as "best" (Applys to software as well as hardware):
1. Dependability. Proven "track record" of performance in the field. Does the system seem to constantly need service or resetting?
2. Durability. Phones that are tough. Do they have crappy keypads that wear out quick? Will the system reset or crash every time it storms?
3. Serviceability. Friendly programming interface? Admin and maint functions easy to use or navigate? FRU replacement easy? Diagnostics capability? Documentation good or bad?
4. Upgradeability. Is it upgradable? Will future expasnsion require a costly software as well as hardware upgrade?. Will future products or features be backwards compatable?
5. Compatability. Will it work well with the voicemail?

------------------
| CMS Communications, Inc.
Posted By: Jonnydanger Re: Who has the best system - 01/13/05 08:59 PM
I have spent a long time looking at phone systems. If your requirement are a basic business phone, I found that they are pretty much all the same as long as your system was built within the last 10 years.

I am looking over the specs and they all pretty much do the exact same thing.

I would normally have good things to say about the Samsung phone system because of their easy of use, reliability, performance, company stability,etc.. however if you plan on using a fax server application off the analog extensions(SLI card) be prepared for a surprise. They don't provide you with Caller ID information! So if the fax server application won't tell you who sent the fax and can't interface with any sort of contact management program or lookup database. If you are not planning a fax server, this would not apply to you unless you want Caller ID on maybe an Analog wireless phone or a regular analog phone around the office.

That being said, you don't want to get into a situation where there is only 1 installer in your area and you are locked into him. You should go with a company that has like 10 installers within a 30 mile radius if possible. You also don't want to get a phone system from a company that has gone out of business because you won't be able to find parts or people to service it.

I would look at Samsung, Nitsuko, NEC and maybe ESI (the VIP software looks cool)

There are some big company that are kind of like the snobs of the phone industry. They can't do anything better then the phone system listed above but you are paying for a snob appeal of the name such as Inter-tel and AVAYA.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Jonnydanger (edited January 13, 2005).]
Posted By: Punch Down Re: Who has the best system - 01/14/05 06:35 AM
TK there are some excellent thoughts posted to your question. I was taught to determine customer needs and wants in the system then propose one within their budget. If they won't give you a budget figure, give them several options from cheapest to most expensive. All these years I've been in the business I always speculated that only 3 to 5 percent of the features and functions were utilized. Most people just want to place and receive calls.
Posted By: byhsc Re: Who has the best system - 01/14/05 09:19 AM
this is why it is so hard for our company to finally decide on its new phone system! we have one vendor who i would totally trust in terms of service, installation, reliability, support,etc. yet the phone system he sells- the Vodavi never appears on anyone's "best" lists. Are their phones that bad? he syas they are as good as anyone's and he's been around for 26 years- so i think he and vodavi are in for the long haul. what do you think?
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: Who has the best system - 01/14/05 01:28 PM
Is the Vodavi that bad? No. Is it a throw away system after a set period of years..yes. The good systems do not have a planned obsolesence built into them. The capability to keep up with the technology without forklifting them into the junk pile. Service is ALWAYS foremost because even a crappy system can work wonders with a decent tech. What you have to watch out for are "work arounds" which means it's rigged even though it's not designed for that. Or simply we cannot do that. It's tough out there and you have to generally look at buying a phone system like you would a car. It's a capital investment for the long haul...not just a cheap fix to get you by. Computers can take a crap and the guys may take days to get it working but by God the phones go down for an hour it's the end of the world. In our business you get what you pay for. Hope that helps.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help