atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: virge54 Need help. - 11/16/04 09:51 PM
Hi I am a retired Verizon CO tech. I need help purchasing a butt set and the proper clips to order. I have never worked outside the switch or the NOC. I have used butt sets years ago when I was on the Frame and all I know is alligator clips. What on earth is a bed of nails?

I am a volunteer at my Church and I do take care of the telephone sets and the computers. I have had so much trouble with inexperienced Verizon Techs. I need to be able to go to the NID and move wires occasionally. I have to be able to say to Verizon that the trouble is theirs or know that it is mine. Verizon is pricing themselves out of the market and my Church needs the help. Would you also recommend the proper punch-down tool. I left the Frame for switching in 1976 and all I am really familiar with is solder and wire-wrap.
Thanx a bunch.
Posted By: Z-man Re: Need help. - 11/16/04 11:48 PM
bed of nails allows you to clip on to a wire without stripping the insulation. I definate must in todays field. Angled bed of nails is the best way to go.

In your position, a Harris T-25 butt set will give you all the features you need. It has caller ID, voltage, digit grabber, etc.. and it is the least expensive of the Harris line. It is not designed to take the pounding of the TS-21 & 22 sets, but I doubt you will put it through that, and the display and extra features will come in handy. You can go to Specialized Products. They have good price on it. Test 'em also makes some good ones, but I would stick with the Harris. Same on the punch tool.

[This message has been edited by Z-man (edited November 16, 2004).]
Posted By: virge54 Re: Need help. - 11/17/04 01:12 PM
Thanks,

I retired from Verizon in NJ several years ago. Moved to this area to be with family. Most of the Splicers and Installers I met during my career retired about the same time I did and the rest are back east. Will follow your recommendation and thanks again.

Virge

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Z-man:
bed of nails allows you to clip on to a wire without stripping the insulation. I definate must in todays field. Angled bed of nails is the best way to go.

In your position, a Harris T-25 butt set will give you all the features you need. It has caller ID, voltage, digit grabber, etc.. and it is the least expensive of the Harris line. It is not designed to take the pounding of the TS-21 & 22 sets, but I doubt you will put it through that, and the display and extra features will come in handy. You can go to Specialized Products. They have good price on it. Test 'em also makes some good ones, but I would stick with the Harris. Same on the punch tool.

[This message has been edited by Z-man (edited November 16, 2004).]
</font>
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help