atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: groundstart GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 12/15/04 04:17 PM
yes.....Im finally gonna breakdown and switch my phone services to VOIP.

Is VONAGE the best? Also I would like to transfer my main number and fax number, can the VOIP service handle multiple lines....

I would appreciate any info or suggestions, is this the way to?

Vonage is charging $14.99 for a basic plan which is great considering Im never in my office and I live on my cell phone...and all I really need is dialtone and call forwarding..

Thankx for the help..........Mitch
Posted By: OffTheDeepEnd.com Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 12/15/04 04:41 PM
I have vonage here at my house and do not have a thing bad to say about the service. I was hesitant about pulling the plug on the good ole copper but it was a great choice. Vonage is now rated the number one service and I can see why. I signed up and the next day my router arrived and I was up in running that night. I do have the 24.99 service though since I do make calls from my home office and SprintPCS just isn't the best where I live. I would have to say go for it, they provide the equipment and the service for a price you just can't beat. All the TelCos will have to rethink their pricing whenever VOIP really catches on. As of right now AT&T is the only major telco that is offering it.
Posted By: chrislebeck Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 12/15/04 05:43 PM
verizon in my area offers it. but for some stupid reason they can't port my verizon number over?!
Posted By: OffTheDeepEnd.com Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 12/15/04 05:53 PM
That is very odd that they cannot transfer their own numbers over, I guess their systems just aren't updated yet. It doesn't surprise me with Verizon though.
Posted By: capitol Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 12/15/04 06:16 PM
Can you put VOIP services like Vonage in front of a key system?

------------------
| Telephone Systems | Voice & Data Cabling
Posted By: OffTheDeepEnd.com Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 12/15/04 06:38 PM
To my understanding, from a Vodavi dealer that stopped by my workplace today, thier systems even support the standard Vonage VOIP services, just with using their router, no extra equipment. Just use the linksys router that the VOIP provides, a 4' peice of phone wire, and a standard phone jack. Punch the lines down and there you go, VOIP over a KSU
Posted By: Voyager Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 12/15/04 06:41 PM
Capital - I have Vonage here at my house....the $24.95 plan. I have had it for almost a year and my bill has never been over $29.00 incl. taxes. This was the best move I ever made. I'm adding a fax line and a toll-free number soon.

My Vonage VOIP signal comes in on the Cable Modem ahead of my Linksys router, and I have wired the dial tone into my Toshiba DK40i. Acts just like copper line but tons more features.

If you're interested, I can forward you a link that will get you a free month!

Dan

[This message has been edited by Voyager (edited December 15, 2004).]
Posted By: Mark K. Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 12/15/04 06:56 PM
I have installed the Vonage system in at least a dozen home offices over the last few months and it seems to work well. I would like to try it myself but I have to dump my DSL first and switch to cable, cause the line I want to dump to try it has the DSL pumped over it. I can't take a chance on my business lines until I know it works good.
mark
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 12/16/04 04:58 AM
Has anyone tried to fax or use a modem on this service?
Posted By: OffTheDeepEnd.com Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 12/16/04 05:04 AM
I have a fax line through Vonage, which I think is $9.99 extra and it works great. I am able to send and receive at almost the same speed of a true copper line.
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 12/16/04 05:18 AM
I use Lingo and I can fax but at a lower speed than copper.

The Lingo line is attached to our Vodavi STS and works well with one exception. The ATA does not send a disconnect signal. Very bad when someone leaves a voicemail.

I would prefer to use Vonage but they do not provide local numbers in my area.
Posted By: groundstart Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 12/16/04 10:01 AM
JUST GOT BACK FROM STAPLES....bought the Linksys/Vonage PAP2 adapter. Installation took about 2 minutes......Sounds great.....

$59.95 with a 50 dollar mail in rebate to Vonage.

$14.99 basic service that comes with 500 local/ld minutes and tons of features.....

THE BIG PROBLEM is the cluster of AC adapters behind my desk.......

Well it looks like this old phoneman has finally entered the 19th century.......
Posted By: OffTheDeepEnd.com Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 12/16/04 11:45 AM
Hopefully you will like it as much as I do, and the more friends you sign up, you get that many free months. Awesome deal and great service... what more can you ask for?
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 12/16/04 01:16 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by groundstart:
THE BIG PROBLEM is the cluster of AC adapters behind my desk.......</font>

Become "liberated"!!

https://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=121+2592

You would still have the cluster of AC adapters, but you would still have room on your plug strip.
Posted By: Milestone Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 12/16/04 01:18 PM
Groundstart welcome to the revolution [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]Capitol yes you can hang a gateway in front of a key system, Vonage is very close to announcing a product called business plus which will be offering multi line VoIP to business's if I remember correctly they will be offering 4,8,16 and 24 line capabilities. CPE is a gateway which the customer has to buy and normally have installed by the phone guy [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com] in some areas they are not able to port the numbers over so that's a bit of a drag and most companies will use the lines primarily for outbound, in network calls are free too.

------------------
One stop Voice and Data Solutions VoIP
Posted By: dtmf Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 12/16/04 04:01 PM
Have any of you fired up the SoftPhone, very cool.
Posted By: dtmf Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 12/16/04 05:37 PM
FYI: They do have multi lines now you can start at 2.
Posted By: groundstart Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 12/16/04 06:05 PM
VONAGE IS GREAT...GREAT.....I can view and change any of my feature settings from a laptop. Its got a neat little desktop dohickey called SoftPhone, little tough to see but OK...

Oh and another feature that I like, just in case the network goes doing or whatever, you can enter a number that will forward all calls..

The referrel program sounds great.......

The sound quality is crystal clear......

AND THE BEST PART.........BY BY VERIZON....NOT GONNA MISS YA ONE BIT...HEE HEE HEE.....
Posted By: groundstart Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 12/16/04 06:06 PM
thats goes down.....
Posted By: Milestone Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 12/17/04 07:28 AM
Another cool feature with multi lines from Vonage you can set up inbound hunt groups through the gateway.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dtmf:
FYI: They do have multi lines now you can start at 2.</font>

------------------
One stop Voice and Data Solutions VoIP
Posted By: groundstart Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 12/17/04 12:36 PM
I just ordered another line. My monthly bill with Vonage is now $30.00. The same bill with Verizon.......!!!HOLD ON TO YOUR HATS!!!...$78.75.

And once again i luv the voice mail feature where I can play it back through my laptop....

NOW...why did I switch in the first place???? Well I will tell ya......Its taken Verizon 7 months to correct my monthly phone bill of which still is incorrect AND I ONLY HAVE 2 LINES......

They keep switching my Freedom Package without me knowing...and then it takes 2 billing cycles for corrections to show up........I GIVE UP......

I've had it with Verizon......HORRIBLE...HORRIBLE..Management...What the heck happened to them?????
Posted By: OhioTelecom Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 12/17/04 03:04 PM
I see that they have a fax feature, but does that also support Modem? that would be my only issue if i cant dial into systems then thats bad, very bad.
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 12/17/04 03:44 PM
I can't connect using a modem on Lingo.
Posted By: Voyager Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 12/17/04 03:54 PM
I have dialed into some Toshiba systems with about a 85% success rate. The Vonage tech gurus have tweeked the signal on my circuit and that has improved some.

Faxes rarely work. BUT, I understand if you order a "FAX" line they are configured for data, not voice.

I guess its time for me to order up!

Vonage Rocks!
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 12/17/04 06:19 PM
Guese I like having my copper for dialup and faxing 100%. Be quite a while before I change...I have had enough internet down time I don't need the phone out as well.
Posted By: Mark K. Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 12/17/04 07:28 PM
I switched to cable today from DSL so I could use that line to port to vonage. After I switched the network over and got everything working I found out my area can't be "ported" yet. Anybody know if there is a tariff time line on when they have to provide portability to everyone?

I'll probably still get a vonage line just to try it out, but I could give up one or two copper lines here to save some money.
mark

[This message has been edited by markk (edited December 17, 2004).]
Posted By: junkman Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 12/21/04 10:55 AM
I still like copper lines for when the power goes out or net goes down. Also 100% fax & modem.
Posted By: Voyager Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 12/21/04 02:16 PM
FYI......aside from the fax issue, Vonage has a feature that will automatically route all of your calls to a pre-assinged phone number of your choice if your internet service goes down. AND IT WORKS! Cool!!
Posted By: SipMedia Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 12/23/04 10:17 AM
What area are you in?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nfcphoneman:
I use Lingo and I can fax but at a lower speed than copper.

The Lingo line is attached to our Vodavi STS and works well with one exception. The ATA does not send a disconnect signal. Very bad when someone leaves a voicemail.

I would prefer to use Vonage but they do not provide local numbers in my area.
</font>

------------------
-AG
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 12/23/04 12:27 PM
SipMedia,
I'm in Gainesville, Florida.
Posted By: clgjr Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 01/06/05 06:23 PM
I called vonage today about getting there service, when i told them I was going to hook it to a ksu they said it will not work. Did not tell me why though. Also they say they will have equipment shortly that will interface with ksu - pbx systems. Has any body actually tried it?? If so what systems??
Posted By: dtmf Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 01/06/05 06:39 PM
Vonage will work with systems I have a few of them working just fine. I don't know why they would tell you that. Caller ID and voice mail work fine also on the system.

O yea they are on Partner systems.

[This message has been edited by dtmf (edited January 06, 2005).]
Posted By: clgjr Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 01/06/05 07:16 PM
sounds great, I will give it a shot! Thanks
Posted By: capitol Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 01/06/05 08:04 PM
I talked to vonage a while back & it looks like the way to go. The only thing stopping me is that they said they can't keep my fax number the same.

------------------
| Telephone Systems | Voice & Data Cabling
Posted By: dtmf Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 01/06/05 08:54 PM
Capitol
I have solved that by having my customers go with efax, you can pick the number you want, it's worth a try
Posted By: codasco704 Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 01/11/05 07:38 PM
I've been considering VoIP too....not swure which company to go with though. I've looked at AT&T CallVantage, Lingo, and Vonage...all seem very similar. I've heard some don't send a disconnect signal though, which would be bad with voicemail. Anybody know which companies do or do not send disconnect signals?
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 01/12/05 05:16 PM
Codasco704,
I know that Lingo does not send a disconnect signal. I switched to myphonecompany because the rep on this board said that they do provide disconnect. However, I installed the equipment this weekend and it does not.
Posted By: Voyager Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 01/12/05 07:00 PM
I have Vonage and a Toshiba Stratagy 4 Lite Voice mail. No problems here! I Love my Vonage!!!
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 01/12/05 07:32 PM
Heck, we have a hard time getting the phone company to send a disconnect signal anymore anyway. We just end up having voicemail play the auto attendant greeting twice then hangup. As long as everything has a dead end eventually, there are rarely any problems. Verizon has told us they no longer offer the option of sending a positive disconnect signal. So what's the difference then!!
Posted By: Punch Down Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 01/12/05 08:20 PM
That's Verizoned for ya!
Posted By: codasco704 Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 01/12/05 10:56 PM
SO basically Verizon is screwing all their customers that have voicemail?????.....stupid.....gald i have SBC.......so, supposedly Vonage sends disconnect. Anybody know about ATT CallVantage...I'm really looking at AT&T in particular.
Posted By: dtmf Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 01/13/05 07:00 AM
I don't know about your area but they told a few of my customers that they can't port a number if it is listed in the phone book which make absolutely no sense to me.
Posted By: codasco704 Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 01/13/05 08:01 AM
I actually don't care about the number, since it will only be an additional line.....just as long as positive disconnect works.
Posted By: JOHNYREB Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 01/30/05 08:03 AM
I'm thinking about making the move too but I have a couple of questions I'm not quite clear of even after reading Vonage's FAQ page. They don't have my area code so would everyone here local have to dial long distance to reach me? Along those same lines, my in laws in NC area code is availble, so if I chose that one would they be able to call us toll free? All in all looks like a great service. I'm switching to cable Wednsday so I would love to turn off the phone line all togeher, unfortunately my existing phone number won't port over though but I can deal with that.
Posted By: JOHNYREB Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 01/30/05 08:53 AM
I think I have it figured out, looks like Lingo would be my best choice, they have local numbers plus they include one virtual number with the unlimited plan so I could keep my existing number plus get a NC number so the the inlaws could call us for free too. Not a bad deal at all for 19.95 a month. The only thing I have'nt figured out so far is if Lingo has the abitly to forward if the net goes down or if they have the softphone and checking your VM via computer option.

[This message has been edited by JOHNYREB (edited January 30, 2005).]
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: GONNA GIVE VOIP A TRY..... - 01/30/05 10:12 AM
You can forward with Lingo. You can have your voicemail messages emailed to you. Not sure about the softphone. Also not sure why you would want to make it easier for your inlaws to call you [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help