atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: groundstart VOIP servers vs. VOIP pbx;s - 12/28/04 04:38 PM
What is the difference between the standalone VOIP IPBX servers and a Phone System that has VOIP capability........

ITS TIME TO START A FORUM POSTING ON VOIP IN GENERAL.........
Posted By: Anonymous Re: VOIP servers vs. VOIP pbx;s - 12/28/04 05:39 PM
A pure IP PBX typically only supports IP phones. Maybe in rare occasions they will support a few Analog (2500) sets. A Phone System that supports IP usually supports all IP facilities (IP Trunking, IP networking, and IP Keysets) AND digital and Analog keysets. In my oppinion there are very few customers that have the need for a Pure IP communications platform. Of course if they want to spend the money for such a thing then I would be happy to sell them all IP phones.

------------------
Buy-SamsungPhoneSystems.com
Posted By: mrb Re: VOIP servers vs. VOIP pbx;s - 12/31/04 06:32 AM
I think it really plays to the core of the system - the backplane. Is the system a hybrid, i.e. TDM backplane that supports IP devices or pure IP core, no TDM switching or at least a dual core TDM & IP, that supports IP devices and sometimes digital devices. Hybrids are great, we probably all sell/service them in one way or another, but the general business push, at least in larger shops (100+ phones) are towards an IP Core system - right, wrong or ignorant - it is where the market is headed.
Posted By: KLD Re: VOIP servers vs. VOIP pbx;s - 12/31/04 02:45 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> the general business push, at least in larger shops (100+ phones) are towards an IP Core system - right, wrong or ignorant - it is where the market is headed.</font>

You are very correct --- and IP Core is not mature enough for what a lot of organizations really need --- 5 9s. The powers that be think it's a computer so the IT guy gets stuck with it, doesn't want it and it is unstable --- even with a robust data network. There is one in a local prison --- more down time than up time. It's a good thing they have radios to keep operating. One car dealer with three local locations and six in the metro area went VoIP and no one likes it, it hasn't lived up to the salesman's promises, and even the auto sales people use their cell phones instead of the furnished phones. Two local banks, HQed out of town, and one local credit union with three locations went VoIP. Keeping it going was only accomplished by oversizing the data "pipe". ---right, wrong, or ignorant--- I'll vote for the last one.

[edited. fixed tags]

[This message has been edited by test-ok (edited January 03, 2005).]
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help