atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: martin low co volume - 03/28/02 04:39 PM
having issues on a tos dk280 which i believe
are not my prob however co provider(sbc)says there equip is fine. 4-5 sta on sys have issues with incoming and outgoing audio.
i have swapped station cards and upgraded processor(for an unrelated issue). have never had this problem before. loop current is 25mili(nom) anybody run into this before?
how did you handle this
thanks in advance
martin
Posted By: Test-ok Re: low co volume - 03/28/02 04:47 PM
Martin
Have you changed the CO card?

>>added
Is it on all lines?

[This message has been edited by test-ok (edited March 28, 2002).]
Posted By: martin Re: low co volume - 03/28/02 11:27 PM
tok
i swapped the co cards around. however i have not been able to recreate the problem myself.
however i had the supervisor have the cust servicepeople who are having the issue. keep alog at each phone. their logs show a very intermittant occurence of the low vol only on very long distance calls. i discovered one of the employees is hard of hearing so i set her up with a amplified handset which will boost both recieve and transmit this has helped her. but still get a few calls a day that the customer on the far end complaining not being able to hear usually the near end is said to have low vol also.
toshiba tech support says there is nothing in the switch other than a bad handset which affects vol.(i tried a new handset on the csr with the most logged complaints. still claims to have prob. what ,if anything, in the co could cause this prob
martin
Posted By: dtmf Re: low co volume - 03/29/02 10:22 AM
If it's only on long distance calls there is your red flag, Have your long distance service take a look at it.
Posted By: martin Re: low co volume - 03/29/02 11:04 AM
thanks dtmf
anybody else have this issue with your carriers
martin
Posted By: Test-ok Re: low co volume - 03/29/02 11:32 AM
A lot of the long distance carriers have sucky service, but they are cheap. It's one of those things "You get what ya pay for"Do you know who they use for LD?
Posted By: martin Re: low co volume - 03/30/02 12:04 AM
mci is carrier, affinity networks is reseller
martin

[This message has been edited by martin (edited March 30, 2002).]
Posted By: dtmf Re: low co volume - 03/30/02 09:47 AM
Do they still have the old call routers on site with the lines going to them? If so take them out as they shouldn't need them, I've seen them cause a lot of problems just like you are having. If not then they need to check their end.
Posted By: Test-ok Re: low co volume - 03/31/02 01:36 PM
If it's only on long distance calls it the LD provider.
If it is random on Long distance calls then it usually the calling party's, service.
If it's local calls , it could be the equ or the CO.
Do they have a echo on the line as well?
If so LD provider.

Could it be that these folks are calling one place or area that have a poor service? (and they think it's their service) I know I get calls at times that are low in vol. and I know it's not me cause the next ld call is fine, so thats their service.

That's all I can muster up! [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
Posted By: martin Re: low co volume - 03/31/02 07:29 PM
thanks for the response everybody. no they no mitel,teltronics dialers or other equip on this end
the issue occurs only on long distance
however, it is random on incoming and outgoing.maybe 2-5 perday (busy call center)
no echo
the easiest solution for me may be to install amplified handsets with amplification on both incoming and outgoing audio. thanks again martin

[This message has been edited by martin (edited April 01, 2002).]
Posted By: jwooten Re: low co volume - 04/01/02 06:50 AM
All of the responses are good but you left out the fact the call terminus was a call center. Call centers use 800 numbers so customers can reach them. The 800 equipment can be located anywhere in the US. If call volume exceeds design then calls are redirected to backup systems. All other things being equal, the problem is in the 800 equipment.
Posted By: martin Re: low co volume - 04/01/02 12:36 PM
thanks jr
i didn't even think about 800 wild card.
Posted By: martin Re: low co volume - 04/02/02 11:18 PM
after reviewing phone logs it looks like there are vol issues ingoing and outgoing
but 99% long dist
marty
Posted By: Z-man Re: low co volume - 04/03/02 01:04 AM
Sounds like the LD provider. If they are handling 800 calls coming in, and LD calls going out, then it is all going through their switches. Also, if their call volume is high, it is normal to get a small amount, say 2-3% of calls, that have low volume or another issue.
Posted By: martin Re: low co volume - 04/03/02 07:15 PM
thnks a lot i sure appreciate everyone input
on this.
martin
Posted By: Test-ok Re: low co volume - 04/03/02 07:56 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by martin:
after reviewing phone logs it looks like there are vol issues ingoing and outgoing
but 99% long dist
marty
</font>

The other 1 percent was most likly the users. [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
Posted By: martin Re: low co volume - 04/05/02 05:45 AM
i hear ya brother
Posted By: bcousins Re: low co volume - 04/09/02 12:07 PM
We had a similar problem with Norstar ICS. We were aware that the Copper in the area was crappy and had MCI test lines and Qwest test lines and sometimes they were good and sometimes they weren't. Our customer kept logs. We recommended to our customer to go with T1. They did and they are extremely pleased. It also provided them with the opportunity to have DID's. (PS..this went on for over a year until they got T1)
Posted By: realfoneguy Re: low co volume - 04/25/02 02:21 PM
As a %ess technician and 1st level support for a major phone company, I may be able to shed some light on the subject. It is the 21st century. Most major LD company's will trunk using T1 or T3 fiber equip. Our company is like any other, we are 100% digital between offices. This kind of problem rarely comes about anymore, but some reasons could be lousy copper feeding customer, lack of loading coils or right at the edge of the CO service area. Loss on the copper and 1000hz to customer site should be -5db max in the copper. The signal comes off in the CO at 0db. There are a number of other factors. SLC's, DLC's, Remotes fed by t1 copper or fiber. In these situations, sometimes the trunking to connect to the world is not at the serving CO, it would be back at the Host office that could be hundreds of miles away. Since it is long distance where the problem seems to lie, the TANDUM switch could be anywhere in the nearest major metropolitian area.Levels are always run at levels to keep things in order at the CO. My suggestion is to have the phone company and you go to the site and measure the loss between your site and the CO. If they are off, they could add amplifiers(7306 westcoms) on each line to increase volume. You may also want to check the PBX and see if there is a 3db amp increase available on the PBX itself. One could also check the DB loss simply by using a transmission test set and dialingthe local 1000hz signal at the CO and reading the loss. Use 600 ohms and use the holding coil on the transmission set to hold the line after dialing. A T1 just seems quite expensive for a few lines. Brad
Posted By: martin Re: low co volume - 04/25/02 10:50 PM
brad
appreciate your's and all the other feedback on this subject. like you said this is not a common issue anymore. i have not done a loop test but i believe i have the equipment. my truck is gone right now so i can't give you the tester i have but it is meter i bought from mike sandman. i use it mostly for loop current. not exactly sure of the procedure though. when my truck is back i will post meter type. by the way the would max out a t-1 quick they already are using a frac for data.
ok truck is back the meter is a triplett 2
in addition to acv,dcv and ohms i have ckt it has loop ma, power inf, ckt noise and ckt loss(which is the test i need) i'm not sure how to seek the 1000hz from the co. call repair? i understand sandman may have a 1000hz generator.
martin

[This message has been edited by martin (edited April 26, 2002).]
Posted By: martin Re: low co volume - 04/28/02 07:34 AM
real
is the code for triggering the 1000hz universal or is it different per region?
martin
Posted By: martin Re: low co volume - 04/28/02 07:34 AM
real
is the code for triggering the 1000hz universal or is it different per region?
martin
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help