atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom New Forum Format - 08/07/12 08:44 PM
Well, what an adventure, discovering that the Forum looks nothing like it used to, and my user name is a bit different, and my password doesn't work, and...

First of all "autofill" does not work in the user name OR the password fields. The information must be typed in manually.

When you don't fill in ANY name on the "send me an email to remind me" page the program says that " " is not a valid name.

When you try to Copy & Paste the temporary password into the password space, it rejects it. You need to type the exact same characters manually and pray.

User name, used to be Arthur P. Bloom (note the caps) and now only all lower case will work.

"If it works, let's take it apart and find out how we can screw it up" seems to apply here.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: New Forum Format - 08/07/12 08:56 PM
Like I said on the shoutbox, it would have been nice to know of all these changes. We were told of potential downtime the last week of July, and nothing else.

Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: New Forum Format - 08/07/12 08:58 PM
Since I can not edit my post (??); here is what I am referring to:
https://sundance-communications.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/27352/Board_Maintenance
Posted By: justbill Re: New Forum Format - 08/07/12 09:27 PM
Jeff do you have an edit tab on the bottom of post screen?
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: New Forum Format - 08/07/12 09:35 PM
Yes, and this is what I get:
'This post can no longer be edited because the maximum edit time has expired.'
Posted By: justbill Re: New Forum Format - 08/07/12 09:38 PM
Looks to me like it's set for 60 minutes. I'll report it.
Posted By: justbill Re: New Forum Format - 08/07/12 09:49 PM
Arthur, I know new can be frustrating and our sponsors are working hard to correct the bugs. This wasn't done just because it wasn't broke, it was done because the old format was no longer supported. We'll all get the hang of it, it'll just take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Posted By: Kissinka Re: New Forum Format - 08/07/12 11:36 PM
We've all had to deal with change in our industry. And once we work out the bugs we'll probably start to see some benefits too.

So far, my main disappointment is that the advanced search function will only go back one year. There's a lot of useful information in those older posts. Add that to the wish list...
Posted By: MooreTel Re: New Forum Format - 08/08/12 12:10 AM
As someone stated in the Shout Box, setting trhe screen back ground either light or dark would be a nice user setting in lieu of a system setting if at all possible.
Posted By: tantivy Re: New Forum Format - 08/08/12 12:46 AM
Any way of turning off Shout Box? I frequently have multiple tabs open, and Shout Box really eats cpu..
Posted By: IPK II New Format - 08/08/12 02:25 AM
WOW! This is, different, compared to the old formet it's almost psycodelic!
Posted By: justbill Re: New Forum Format - 08/08/12 02:30 AM
Can't find that as a member option tantivy. Right now as things get worked out it's a good way for us to know who's having what problem. I'm sure the boards sponsors will weigh your request.
Posted By: IPK II Re: New Forum Format - 08/08/12 02:53 AM
Not a request, simply a comment. It does look really cool & I am exploring it, thank you.
Posted By: IPK II Re: New Forum Format - 08/08/12 02:56 AM
Sorry justbill, I noticed that when I opened this catagory it went to page 2. Learnig curve, indeed!
Posted By: justbill Re: New Forum Format - 08/08/12 03:23 AM
I'm learning too. I merged your topic with this one and forgot to notify you.
Posted By: justbill Re: New Forum Format - 08/08/12 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by Kissinka
We've all had to deal with change in our industry. And once we work out the bugs we'll probably start to see some benefits too.

So far, my main disappointment is that the advanced search function will only go back one year. There's a lot of useful information in those older posts. Add that to the wish list...

I'll bring that to the boards sponsors.
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: New Forum Format - 08/08/12 01:01 PM
This is not good, i'm getting a headack looking at it. More thought needs to go into a big change like this. Colors are real bad.
Posted By: justbill Re: New Forum Format - 08/08/12 01:02 PM
Look back in this topic on how to change your background.
Posted By: justbill Re: New Forum Format - 08/08/12 09:06 PM
The search funtion has been set out to 5 years.
Posted By: Kissinka Re: New Forum Format - 08/08/12 10:23 PM
Thanks for adjusting the search function. It's already been useful. (Much faster too!)
Posted By: justbill Re: New Forum Format - 08/08/12 11:13 PM
I just noticed. At the bottom of the page is a drop down where you can set your color preference, you don't need to go into your profile to change it.
Posted By: Stix1 Re: New Forum Format - 08/08/12 11:31 PM
Can members be rated anymore?

Also, all searches on Google end up at the Sundance Communications homepage. Here is one example. I did a search for Inter-tel DB Programming and clicked on the first link Google had indexed for Sundance which happens to be the very first un-sponsored result.

https://www.sundance-communications.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/4/t/000709.html

There is a link there to the Tech Talk board but you don't reach the specific topic you were searching for that Google had indexed.

This could be a major problem as the forum was extensively indexed and rated very high on Google searches.

Posted By: justbill Re: New Forum Format - 08/08/12 11:59 PM
Ratings were turned off I've turned them on. It's in view profile. This could be good or bad ya know. smile
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: New Forum Format - 08/09/12 12:16 AM
What is Private Message (PM) called now?
Posted By: justbill Re: New Forum Format - 08/09/12 12:18 AM
Click on the users name and you'll see send PM
Posted By: paulw Re: New Forum Format - 08/09/12 12:58 AM
I generally get the hang of the new layout. There is one thing that doesn't seem to work. At the bottom of a forum Display options area with a dropdown that defaults to "Fromm all dates" I used to have this set to "Active in the last day" in the old board but when I come back to the forum next time it has reverted back to the default. I can't see any place unless I've missed in my profile preferences to set this..
Posted By: justbill Re: New Forum Format - 08/09/12 01:32 AM
I'm not following you. This option is where?
Posted By: paulw Re: New Forum Format - 08/09/12 08:31 PM
[quote=justbill]I'm not following you. This option is where? [/quote]

At the bottom of each forum . Have a look at this screen shot in this dropbox link. This is from Phone System Tech Support » Forums » Phone Systems / Voip Systems » NEC.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15032525/postdates.jpg
Posted By: justbill Re: New Forum Format - 08/10/12 12:30 AM
If I go to the forum and than back to the forum list it removes the flag even though I didn't read the post.
Posted By: justbill Re: New Forum Format - 08/10/12 12:37 AM
Paulw now I know what you're talking about, I've never used the feature, I'll poke around and see if there is a way to keep it set.
Posted By: paulw Re: New Forum Format - 08/10/12 12:49 AM
Thanx Bill.
Posted By: justbill Re: New Forum Format - 08/10/12 01:01 AM
Paul I don't see a way to set this. The old format would keep you logged in forever, until you logged out. This format times out, so maybe that's what does it. Do you remember in the old format if you logged out and came back and logged in did the option still remain?
Posted By: MooreTel Re: New Forum Format - 08/10/12 03:38 AM
It's not logging me out, Bill. It did at 1st, but I stay logged on even if I close the laptop.
Posted By: justbill Re: New Forum Format - 08/10/12 11:35 AM
Sure is a fickle little thing.
Posted By: hbiss Re: New Forum Format - 08/10/12 03:27 PM
What I find unacceptable is that when you reply you reply to a post not the thread. You only get to see the one post that you clicked the reply button on. I want to see the whole thread so I can base my reply on what's in the other posts also. That's the way it always was and is with all other forums I frequent.

-Hal
Posted By: metelcom Re: New Forum Format - 08/10/12 04:02 PM
Hal I'm not sure what you mean. It looks and works about the same except you do have more user options. Go to your preferences and make sure you have it set for Flat Mode selected.
Posted By: hbiss Re: New Forum Format - 08/10/12 04:49 PM
Flat mode is what it is. When I click on the reply button at the top of the thread all I see is the first post. When I clicked on the reply button on your post just now all I see is your post. You used to be able to see the whole thread when replying.

-Hal
Posted By: MooreTel Re: New Forum Format - 08/10/12 05:05 PM
Use quick reply instead. Sounds like it ass-backwards...
Posted By: metelcom Re: New Forum Format - 08/10/12 05:56 PM
I see what your saying Hal...Do like Dave says and use the Quick Reply then you can still see the whole thread.
Posted By: hbiss Re: New Forum Format - 08/10/12 08:04 PM
Yeah, that'll work. I suppose you could switch to full reply after you compose if you need anything there.

-Hal
Posted By: metelcom Re: New Forum Format - 08/11/12 12:49 AM
Another way is if you use tabs then open the reply in a new tab then you have both the full thread and the full reply screen. This new layout is going to take some time to get used to but with your help we can make it better. :thumbsup:
Posted By: metelcom Re: New Forum Format - 08/11/12 12:54 AM
Smiley test :) :shrug: :dbanana: :bang:
Posted By: hbiss Re: New Forum Format - 08/13/12 05:40 AM
Another problem- gibberish characters in some words like this:

Profile for Bügeleißen

-Hal
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: New Forum Format - 08/13/12 12:40 PM
Smilly faces don't come through just garble
Posted By: justbill Re: New Forum Format - 08/13/12 12:43 PM
:eek: :mad: :crazy: :o smiley test
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: New Forum Format - 08/13/12 11:03 PM
It's getting better.......
Posted By: tschwebel Re: New Forum Format - 08/17/12 10:50 PM
I would second the google link issue as well. I just was looking for a post, when I re entered my criteria into the advanced search screen it came up with over 200 results. 10 pages in and still no post.

The other thing that would be nice is if you could collapse the results by thread. It would be a lot easier to scan.
Posted By: rustynails Re: New Forum Format - 08/26/12 03:03 AM
Tried to edit immediately after post and would not allow. Also was not able to create a hyper link attached to a word.
Posted By: justbill Re: New Forum Format - 08/26/12 03:14 AM
Edit should be fixed.
Posted By: nortelvoip Re: New Forum Format - 08/27/12 04:06 AM
Hi All, New to the forum but have been a frequent reader for a long time. I am having trouble with the search function. I was in the Toshiba forum and was trying to search for "ACD" and it comes up with no results. I just tried searching "ACD" through the entire board and it came up with nothing. Now the funny part is that in the Toshiba forum on the first page there is a thread called ACD Calls. So I know that people have discussed ACD on the board before. Thanks PS Other than the search issue, I really like the new setup!
Posted By: justbill Re: New Forum Format - 08/29/12 08:50 PM
Sorry for the delay. Search feature is a little touchy, the use of quotes or asterisk helps. ACD is not a word so if you search "ACD*" you'll find a lot of topics.
Posted By: hbiss Re: New Forum Format - 09/23/12 09:03 PM
Any reason that the Mod and Admin forums are showing up for me and they didn't before? No, I can't get into them to see what you are saying about me. grin

-Hal
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: New Forum Format - 09/23/12 09:19 PM
It was that way on the old format and we had several requests to restore that function.
Posted By: MooreTel Re: New Forum Format - 09/23/12 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by hbiss
...No, I can't get into them to see what you are saying about me. grin

-Hal

:rofl: Now you know how we all felt about the Admin category when YOU were there! :toothy:
Posted By: hbiss Re: New Forum Format - 09/24/12 02:30 AM
Originally Posted by RATHER BE FISHING
It was that way on the old format and we had several requests to restore that function.

Can't imagine why other than being nosey. Not going to do you any good if you don't have access so why would they need to have them visible? The old forum software didn't allow forums to be hidden.

-Hal
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: New Forum Format - 09/24/12 02:45 AM
Easy answer. When telling people that their posts had been moved to a private forum for professional installers it wasn't visible to the general public. Now they see there are advanced forums. Participating posters now see Installers, Mods, Pro Shop, Admin and can thus see the big picture. If you participate, are a pro, and contribute then you are eligible for consideration for board access to higher levels of support amongst peers.
Posted By: hbiss Re: New Forum Format - 09/24/12 08:43 PM
I can agree for installers, pro shop and paid leads. I don't know of any other board where the mod and admin forums are visible to non-members. Even though non-mods and admins don't have access there is a certain amount of information that can be gained by just watching for new posts. I can tell you that there were members of the old board that got a big chuckle by stirring up trouble then watching the posts light up in Mods and Admin. Just saying.

-Hal
Posted By: justbill Re: New Forum Format - 09/24/12 09:45 PM
You can only see the forum exist, you can't see if there's been a post unless you have permissions to that forum. Which I guess it wouldn't matter to me if they could see that there'd been a post.

I can tell you that there were members of the old board that got a big chuckle by stirring up trouble then watching the posts light up in Mods and Admin.

It doesn't take much to amuse some people.
Posted By: hbiss Re: New Forum Format - 09/25/12 12:46 AM
You can only see the forum exist, you can't see if there's been a post unless you have permissions to that forum.

Right now I have 4 and 7 unread posts in Mods and Admns respectively since I last marked all posts read. You guys must be talking about me again. cry

-Hal
Posted By: justbill Re: New Forum Format - 09/25/12 01:41 PM
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean someone's not out to get ya. cool :whistle: laugh
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help