atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: norpcom 66 Punch Down block wires - 04/05/05 08:58 AM
I am setting up a Nortel Phone switch. I have some 66 punch down blocks but need some of the stranded wire that goes between the different blocks. Does anyone know where I can get a bunch of that stuff? Also what is it actually called?

Thanks

------------------
Adam W Clark
Posted By: yzark40 Re: 66 Punch Down block wires - 04/05/05 09:07 AM
I believe you mean cross-connect wire ? and it is solid not stranded wire, comes in different colors and pairs.stranded wire is not a good thing to use on 66 blocks you do not get a good connection. you can get at graybar

[This message has been edited by yzark40 (edited April 05, 2005).]
Posted By: norpcom Re: 66 Punch Down block wires - 04/05/05 09:48 AM
Thanks for the help...

Also, I need those things that you run your cable around when you have multiple punch downs on a board. The are white and have a large fluted end. The middle is hollow and they screw to the wall.

Sorry, I don't know terminology very well at all.
Posted By: dtmf Re: 66 Punch Down block wires - 04/05/05 10:35 AM
Tell them you need some mushrooms.
Posted By: XConnect Re: 66 Punch Down block wires - 04/05/05 01:29 PM
Yikes.......
Posted By: norpcom Re: 66 Punch Down block wires - 04/05/05 01:44 PM
I know, they are called telephone distribution posts. Thanks for all your help!
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: 66 Punch Down block wires - 04/05/05 02:41 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by XConnect:
Yikes.......</font>

Ditto that!

------------------
[Linked Image from sigcomsys.com]
| Signal Communication Systems - Fresno, CA |

| Telephone Systems, Voicemail Syste... & Data Cabling - Central Valley, CA

[This message has been edited by 5years&counting (edited April 05, 2005).]
Posted By: Gene Re: 66 Punch Down block wires - 04/05/05 07:06 PM
Your supposed to mount the mushrooms! Not eat them.
Posted By: pacecomm Re: 66 Punch Down block wires - 04/06/05 06:11 AM
come on you knew that, the big gray ones hot off the grill with a little butter. yum-------
Posted By: codasco704 Re: 66 Punch Down block wires - 04/06/05 08:43 PM
Got a question (a realllyyy basic question) along the same line. What is the proper way to to terminate wires on a 66 block. I have really really bad luck with them. Right now on the system I have at home, stations get knocked off the system if a touch the block/wires or if I slightly move the block.

The way I do it now, I slightly wedge the (unstripped) wire between the teeth of a pin, line the hole of my 66 blade (on a Harris DB14, set to high) up with the top of the pin, and (with some force) push straight down 'til it pops. The wire seems to go all the way down and it requires some effort to remove the wire......but I never seem to get a connection. I'll even punch a wire that's already been punched, just to make sure it's seated well, but no luck at all......had to resort to a BIX connector and a butter knife which kind of works (can't seem to get more than 1 station to work becasue my wiring is so shoddy). Good thing this is only for home.
Posted By: justbill Re: 66 Punch Down block wires - 04/06/05 09:12 PM
There is a difference in the quality of blocks. What are you using? The only time I've had problems is reusing blocks and the blades weren't cleaned correctly.
Posted By: codasco704 Re: 66 Punch Down block wires - 04/06/05 09:29 PM
I'm using a Leviton block, which I would think is an acceptable quality block. I'll try again and see what happens. I didn't have any bridging clips handy, so I made (used 1 long piece of wire, punched but didn't cut one one clip, then punched w/ cut on the next) jumper wires. Maybe they weren't punched too wel.

This doesn't seem like it should be rocket science. It Isn't, I;ve just gotta be doing something wrong.
Posted By: RedTail Re: 66 Punch Down block wires - 04/06/05 09:42 PM
codasco704, are you using 24AWG wire?
Posted By: codasco704 Re: 66 Punch Down block wires - 04/07/05 05:01 AM
Yes, for everything but MOH.
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: 66 Punch Down block wires - 04/07/05 07:00 AM
Set your punch tool to "low" for 24 gauge wire. Use "high" for 22 ga.

If you look up the post "66 block blues", there is a discussion of some bad blocks from North Supply.
Posted By: codasco704 Re: 66 Punch Down block wires - 04/07/05 07:49 AM
I can understand that if I'm using the low setting for 22 gauge, that it won't make contact. But if I uss the high setting for 24 gauge, I would think that it would work. I'd be using more "power" for a smaller wire, rahter than using too little "power" for a larger one.

Maybe it is a bad block. I'll just deal with it for know. I have harmonica adaptors on the way to use instead.
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: 66 Punch Down block wires - 04/07/05 08:06 AM
Make sure your 66 blade is cutting on the side where you pull off the excess wire, not on the side that's staying connected to the cable. Notice that your 66 blade probably has a flat side and a side with a blade.

------------------
[Linked Image from sigcomsys.com]
| Signal Communication Systems - Fresno, CA |

| Telephone Systems, Voicemail Syste... & Data Cabling - Central Valley, CA
Posted By: codasco704 Re: 66 Punch Down block wires - 04/07/05 11:27 AM
I am. The ends that should be terminated and making contact are very securely held by the pins.

When I lay a wire down to be punched, should I be just setting it down far enough so that it stays in place when I punch it, or should I be trying to pull it down as close to the back of the block as possible and then punching it?

Also, once punched, should the wire be ALL the way down to the back of the block, or is it OK for it to be slightly away from the back of the block?

Anybody have an illustration or a website that shows the right way to punch?
Posted By: 1864 Re: 66 Punch Down block wires - 04/07/05 06:17 PM
Wrap the wire around the small "hook" and hammer it home the whole way to the end.
Use a pair of pliers to squeeze the pins back together. It sounds like you probably spread them out too far with that butter knife. Just a thought?
Posted By: codasco704 Re: 66 Punch Down block wires - 04/07/05 06:29 PM
It was actually the bix block that i used a butter knife on.....but good suggestion anyway. I'll try it.
Posted By: justbill Re: 66 Punch Down block wires - 04/07/05 08:53 PM
Tried to post earlier and couldn't, but want to coment on the last, if you have good blocks and a good punch on tool you don't need to squeeze the pins. Sounds to me like you have a difective or worn out blade. I've punch thousands of pairs, as I'm sure others have, with no problems to speak of. The punch on tool has a specific opening for the pins so they make correctly, I'd try a new blade first. As far as using high and low setting, the only time I use low is when I'm looping from one pin to another.
Posted By: JOHNYREB Re: 66 Punch Down block wires - 04/07/05 09:02 PM
Also, I have found that the angle at which you hold the end that will be cutoff during the punch is important. Hold them at 6 oclock they tend to get caught in the pin below, 3 oclock and the blade will not cut. Between 4 and 5 works just right. I always use the low setting unless it 22awg cable. I'm so scrawny the high setting will sometimes push me back away from the board instead of terminating [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
Posted By: codasco704 Re: 66 Punch Down block wires - 04/08/05 08:36 AM
Well, I know my impact tool is good...so I guess it might be the blade. I don't want to wait to have a new one shipped to me, so can anyone reccomend a good place in St. Louis to buy one...or am I better off just buying a blade at Home Depot (probably easier, esp. since it's such a simple/small item).
Posted By: justbill Re: 66 Punch Down block wires - 04/08/05 03:59 PM
Nothing wrong with Home Depot, same blade your going to get if ordering as far as name brands go.
Posted By: codasco704 Re: 66 Punch Down block wires - 04/08/05 04:18 PM
hmmm...just tried it again with the same blade,...and it works. This time i went through with a tweezer and used the tip the push down on the wires on each side of the pin, just to make sure they were all the way in.

So, my CO lines are working very well now, just need to get the stations over to a 66....I'm getting some funky things happening because of my bad connections on the bix.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help