atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: davetel caller id bluff - 06/02/14 05:49 AM
i got a call from my bank this weekend about an attempt to move money from my bus credit card to some other bank account. it wasnt me. the numbers they said showed up on their caller id when the person made the attempt were my numbers. is there a way to show an incorrect number in outgoing call id.
Posted By: telecom guy10 Re: caller id bluff - 06/02/14 06:33 AM
Absolutely yes.

This is a biggie right here.

https://www.spoofcard.com/
Posted By: dexman Re: caller id bluff - 06/02/14 09:55 AM
ISDN/PRI also has the ability to manipulate what telephone number appears on caller ID displays.
Posted By: jknichols Re: caller id bluff - 06/02/14 01:05 PM
Absolutely YES.

The other day I got an incoming CID on my single line at home with MY number - even if someone had clipped a buttset on the NID and called from my line, there should be no way for the line to ring and store the CID on the box in my house.
smile
Posted By: CallMark Re: caller id bluff - 06/04/14 03:50 AM
Yes it can along with name. Had one last week. My name and number showed up. When I answered, it was a recording letting me know about a very good rate on a credit card I qualified for.
And I have a 'private' message come up on all calls from my home phone, leftover from working days.
Posted By: 1864 Re: caller id bluff - 06/04/14 03:58 AM
Being able to manipulate your own CID info is BS. How did this happen?
Total BS

This info should be secure and not be able to be changed.
Posted By: dexman Re: caller id bluff - 06/04/14 10:51 AM
On a residential/consumer level...yes. But if I were a business owner and contacted a telemarketing outfit to make calls on behalf of my company...then I would want a telephone number that was associated with my business to be delivered to whoever the agents call.
Posted By: Keighlar Re: caller id bluff - 06/04/14 12:16 PM
We've installed for a few police departments that require this ability to use in investigations.
Posted By: Silversam Re: caller id bluff - 06/04/14 12:40 PM
My Temple uses a system called "Call Multiplier" for mass simultaneous broadcasts to the entire congregation. It's a very nice, inexpensive thoroughly reliable system. We use it about once or twice a week.

When we first started with them the CID showed their "800" number. At our request they changed the CID to show the Temple's number, which is appropriate.

Sam
Posted By: jknichols Re: caller id bluff - 06/04/14 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by 1864
Being able to manipulate your own CID info is BS. How did this happen?
Total BS

This info should be secure and not be able to be changed.

While I agree with other posters that there a few valid reasons for sending CID different from the line or BTN, I still feel it should be coordinated with the phone company, not just changed at whim to anything.

It's getting as bad as the "Do Not Call List" which has so many loopholes and scammers who don't care - I used to be able to ignore "Private" and unknown long distance numbers on the CID, now I'm getting calls from what look like local numbers and even "myself".
Posted By: dexman Re: caller id bluff - 06/04/14 01:17 PM
Telemarketers in foreign countries don't really care about the DNC list. The use of VoIP makes it harder to find them...and...the chances of the US government going after some operation located in India are extremely remote at best.
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: caller id bluff - 06/04/14 01:40 PM
The term is "spoof" not "bluff" in case anyone needs to do any further research into this subject.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: caller id bluff - 06/09/14 01:39 PM
I use technology to filter out such calls.

A telephone that displays the CID and an answering machine that answers every call.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help