atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: groundstart Hiding your IP address. - 05/02/05 06:09 PM
Is there a way I can hide my IP address?

My PC is connected to a Belkin 4 port Wireless Router with a Vonage connected to 1 port and my PC to another.

My 'shiba laptop connects wireless, but Im not too concerned bout that...

I have the default IP address which is the setup window for the Belkin Router but I have no clue as to what Im looking at....Im a phone man and cigar smoker!!!!!
Posted By: OhioTelecom Re: Hiding your IP address. - 05/02/05 06:22 PM
If you are behind a router then your IP is already hidden per say. the Public IP is the router and your vonage and your puter have 2 private IPs given to you via DHCP from your router. to hide your public IP you would need to go thru a proxy server.
Posted By: junkman Re: Hiding your IP address. - 05/03/05 06:15 AM
Not sure about Belkin, but most routers have a setting to hide the public IP. Look for 'icmp', 'block anonymous internet requests', 'block ping requests', or something like that.
Posted By: WRichey Re: Hiding your IP address. - 05/05/05 07:02 AM
use a proxy server that is the only way to go and there are plenty of free ones out there. as far as a router hiding you ip forget it and my proof being this site www.auditmypc.com every time I have run a test they get my private ip and my public ip its creapy unless I use a proxy but it almost isint worth the trouble because if you need to do any sort of secure stuff the proxy blocks it
Posted By: Crabb Re: Hiding your IP address. - 05/05/05 10:22 AM
Why do you need to hide your IP? I can only guess it is something unethical if your trying to hide something.
Posted By: aweaver Re: Hiding your IP address. - 05/05/05 04:46 PM
It's all about privacy. Nothing unethical about privacy.
Posted By: groundstart Re: Hiding your IP address. - 05/05/05 05:18 PM
"Its all about Privacy"

"Let the truth be heard"
Posted By: WRichey Re: Hiding your IP address. - 05/05/05 08:55 PM
Crabb go to the web site I suggested and then imagine or even go to your banking site now picture a guy (or girl) has just seen your ip address using a port sniffer or what ever now they are just waiting for you to get out on the web again and when you do they have the ability watch every place you go. yes the site you visit is secure but the data you send can only be encripted so much and the signature on it CAN be hacked also the data you are sending can be copied and saved by this sniffer to be broken later

Paranoid maybe but I have had my identity stolen and its not a place you want to be in.

Besides all the creapy stuff you dont need to be stealthed unless you are dealing with sensative info on your pc or the net (mel was right the catcher in the rye does keep you sane)
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help