atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: newtecky Repkacement for Avaya partner - 06/13/15 10:40 PM
Owner of a restuarant has a Partner system. Although a majority of their current issues are from wiring (Telco feed is under the dishwasher), the owner was thinking about replacing the system.

Currently they have 2 lines and 3 phones, no voicemil and I don't know if the MOH was working.

Customer just needs 2 lines working, caller ID, and line privacy so that the other phones can't pickup a call in progress.

Based on their requirements I mentioned that they could just get simple 2 lines phones. The only requirement I can't seem to satisfy is the line privacy, at least with the 2-line phone models.

I looked at the AT&T 1070 4-line phones, which I think would probably accomplish is needs.

Any one have other recommendations?
Posted By: MooreTel Re: Repkacement for Avaya partner - 06/13/15 10:49 PM
XBlue X16 or any small system of any brand.
Posted By: Butch Cassidy Re: Repkacement for Avaya partner - 06/13/15 11:18 PM
There is a simple device that plugs into the phone outlet and prevents a phone from getting dial tone if another phone on the line if off-hook. It works by detecting the line voltage, which is about 49v normally but drops to about 3v if any extension is off-hook.

See this link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Telephone-...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d58166fb

Each one costs 99 cents plus shipping and handling. To protect 3 extensions you need three of them.

However if you check into it, I think that the AT&T and identical RCA 4-line phones already have a privacy feature that can be set up.
Posted By: dexman Re: Repkacement for Avaya partner - 06/14/15 12:16 AM
Which version of the Partner system does the restaurant have?

Despite the fact that the Partner platform has been discontinued by Avaya, a Partner ACS R6 or R8 are still good small business choices. There is a lot of hardware on the secondary market and the customer won't have to purchase new telephone sets...unless they want to.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Repkacement for Avaya partner - 06/14/15 12:19 AM
What's wrong with another Partner system? This is the problem today. There are millions of small businesses like this with a couple of lines and a few phones. Manufacturers want you to sell them one of their 50 pounds of s*** in a 5 pound bag systems.

Be a hero and be honest. Tell the customer like it is- nobody makes a decent quality system for you at a reasonable cost. Clean up the wiring issues, sell them some new or refurb phones (yes, I have come upon new 18Ds from one supplier) sell them a refurb ACS.

Apparently they are happy with the Partner and no consumer grade phone is going to hold up as well.

-Hal
Posted By: hbiss Re: Repkacement for Avaya partner - 06/14/15 12:30 AM
Probably noteworthy to mention that until as recently as few years ago the old Merlin was the standard for restaurants and food service. That's because the system was simple, the phones held up well to the abuse of the workers and the environment and replacements were readily available. Even though the Merlin was discontinued many, many years ago, even new builds were installing refurbed systems.

-Hal
Posted By: newtecky Re: Repkacement for Avaya partner - 06/14/15 02:18 AM
I did not which Partner model it was. I saw it at an angle. It did not look like an ACS model. It was the processor card only, and it was almond color.

This one is still going, so I wasn't sure the reason for replacing it, besides the phones are getting pretty beat up and worn out. I came in towards the end of the conversation with the question about what I would recommend. I do think that the phone conditions are the main reason for wanting to replace the system.

They were already looking at regular 2 line phones, but if they go with a 4 line phone, a replacement would still be about $130.00+ per phone. If they beat up the new phones then the replacement cost would be about on par with replacing an Avaya partner phone.

I saw XBlue at another location . I had not heard about this one previously. The customer bought it directly, but I had to turn on the Music on Hold. Maybe I should look into that system a little more.

That privacy plug is one idea (I seem to remember something like this when Dial-up internet was still used), but it looks like it only does one line.

Before any replacement, the wiring will need to be addressed. The owner knows this, but probably figured he would start thinking about phone replacement as well, since some rewiring will be required if he moves away from using a PBX.

Thanks for the replies.
Posted By: brokeda Re: Repkacement for Avaya partner - 06/14/15 04:36 AM
I have always found 2-4 line phones hard to trouble shoot.
One port 1 phone, or let the IT weinie do it.
I get used Partner phones all the time and have no issue.
A merlin with 5 button would fit most Rest.
I wish there were still thousands of merlins out there, I could add MOH for $100.00 in 5 min on service calls, like the 80's and 90's.
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Repkacement for Avaya partner - 06/14/15 12:25 PM
Except for the fact that I'm not primarily in a "Bell" area, I see a lot of single or two carrier Partner systems on the wall. I still have Partner pieces in the warehouse, but the only phones I have are 18d's. I see no reason to have non-display sets in inventory. Through the help of mdaniels, you can turn those ACS 3 or later versions into 6's.

I have several restaurants on Panasonic TA-824's. The basic 824-PK comes with 3 lines, 8 extensions, CID, and 3 display phones. There's a poor-man's Auto Attendant (DISA) that can answer the calls and play a message. We use it before setup or after hours to convey information. It's a great feature just prior to opening to answer the stupid "when do you open" questions or the "are you hiring?" ones.

Our host is a good source for parts, along with eBay and Craiglist. I lucked into a complete Panasonic 824 with 7 phones for a song at the Dayton Hamvention. It puts a lot of hardware on the books for less than $500.

In the 4-line market, I did a couple of Tractor Supply stores with 4-line V=Tech/ATT branded systems, for a National. I have not been back to my local TSC to see how happy they are with the result. They pulled Partner systems to put in a 4-line base, a 4-line cordless desk phone, and 6 cordless handsets. I was not impressed and they are pricey.

Carl

Posted By: skip555 Re: Repkacement for Avaya partner - 06/14/15 03:52 PM
I would suggest they upgrade the Partner processor and get them some Refurbed 'partner phones partner 6 would be fine in this application with maybe one 18d

price would be competive with the 4 line phones but be a much better choice
Posted By: KENB Re: Repkacement for Avaya partner - 06/14/15 04:18 PM
I would agree with comments above keep the partner ,clean up the wires ,get refurb sets a off you go.
It happens here all the time ,restaurants beat the crap out
of phones and just keep replacing.
I have several restaurants and pizza places.
The pizzas have 6 buttons up front ,kitchen,salad area ,counter
in dining room and 18d in office with speed dials to suppliers
on buttons.The 6 buttons are all restricted and owners have codes for out dialing.
Posted By: newtecky Re: Repkacement for Avaya partner - 06/14/15 05:52 PM
I think I would agree, if the Ayaya is still working ok, then a 4-line phone does not seem like a cost effective replacement. Phone replacement is about the same or more then replacing an Avaya handset, especially with a refurb handset.

A simple 2 line phone would cost less if he doesn't need any PBX functionality. When looking at the site, I did see a new 2-line phone in the managers office (don't remember the model). The office Avaya phone was not working so they had this one plugged in. Turned out it was the line cord.

I will give the customer some choices. Thanks again.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Repkacement for Avaya partner - 06/14/15 08:23 PM
I did not which Partner model it was. I saw it at an angle. It did not look like an ACS model. It was the processor card only, and it was almond color.

Lol! Every Partner module looks like that. If it wasn't an ACS it had to be a 206, the Baby Partner or the first Partner processor made. No CID and few features depending on the release. Economical upgrade would be to an ACS R6 since the R7s (you don't want an R7) and the R8s are scarce right now because they are all out there in use.

When looking at the site, I did see a new 2-line phone in the managers office (don't remember the model). The office Avaya phone was not working so they had this one plugged in.

I'm sure they're happy with the way that works. crazy No wonder they want a new system.

-Hal
Posted By: newtecky Re: Repkacement for Avaya partner - 06/14/15 09:13 PM

Lol! Every Partner module looks like that. If it wasn't an ACS it had to be a 206, the Baby Partner or the first Partner processor made. No CID and few features depending on the release. Economical upgrade would be to an ACS R6 since the R7s (you don't want an R7) and the R8s are scarce right now because they are all out there in use.

True, but some of the newer ACS models look grey. This one was the same almond color, but it was also discolored like I see with the old Avaya models.

I was mostly there to offer advice, even though I did fix the phone in the manager's office. The way the card was installed I would have had to get on a latter and use a mirror or my phone's selfie camera. Getting the processor version did not seem as important at the time, since they were asking about replacing the phones.

Also, I should avoid R7? Good to know.
Posted By: dexman Re: Repkacement for Avaya partner - 06/14/15 10:12 PM
An R7 processor can be flash upgraded to an R8. The last revision of the R7 processor was the best of them. The R8 was better still.
Posted By: skip555 Re: Repkacement for Avaya partner - 06/14/15 10:25 PM
just from a price perspective I would go with a 6

(I was recently in a place that had a partner two but all the modules had been painted gray by a re-ferber to look like ACS . I did a double take on that one)
Posted By: hbiss Re: Repkacement for Avaya partner - 06/15/15 01:49 AM
Ok, I see what you are saying about the plastic color. It is true that the newer mod clamshells were gray but that didn't start with the introduction of the ACS. I have seen plenty of ACSs and mods of the same vintage that were almond. Probably a good trivia question would be when and who (Lucent or Avaya) changed to gray.

With refurbished it's what color paint they have.

-Hal
Posted By: telecom guy10 Re: Repkacement for Avaya partner - 06/15/15 11:12 AM
"With refurbished it's what color paint they have."

LOL!!!
Posted By: upstateny Re: Repkacement for Avaya partner - 06/15/15 11:19 AM
Feature 59 will get you the release on any ACS.

I just threw out a bunch of 18 button phones!
Posted By: brokeda Re: Repkacement for Avaya partner - 06/15/15 09:09 PM
I don't think a 4 line phone would hold up as good as a Partner phone. Then when you need a new one they don't make it any more and the new model does not want to jive with the old.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Repkacement for Avaya partner - 06/15/15 09:21 PM
agree

-Hal
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help