atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: ChrisRR Recommendations for small parts containers. - 02/01/16 08:37 PM
I'm curious about what guys use for containers for small items, particularly scotchloks, beanies, 8p8c connectors, and other small pieces and parts. The flimsy paperboard boxes and small bags these things come in don't last long and after a box of scotchloks opened up and dumped all in my tool bag, I've had about enough. I've gotten by with things like clear pill bottles and for bigger things empty and washed out peanut butter jars, but that's not terribly professional. It's fine if I'm sorting something out at a buddy's house, but there's got to be something made for the purpose. I've used those multi-compartment boxes in the past and I find they work well for some things, like I keep all my solderless crimp connecters in one for working on cars, and that works well to have 18 different connectors handy. Those boxes seem a little bulky when I only need a few things for doing phone or cabling work. What do you guys use?
I use a small Plano box that fits in my toolbag. It holds all my screws, beanies, bridge clips, plugs, etc.

You could also look into the canvas drawstring bags that Bell used back in the day.
I got a couple of small leather pouches from Sandman that attach to my belt for beanies/Scotchloks and modular plus.

For all the other small parts I paid a visit to the Dollar Store for plastic Tupperware-type containers which fit into a tote bag that I finally broke down and bought to take into the job site.
Parachute bag Clincher from Duluth or Bucket Boss

I keep the connectors in their own plastic jars, I think they originally came from Dottie with screws and anchors in them, in the compartments of the parachute bag so they don't mix together.

On my belt, found a traveler's pocket pouch with some flaps, compartments, etc. for a small quantity of UR's, screws, bridge clips, etc to have at hand
I carry one of these , there is a smaller parts box that fits in the bottom of my tool bag and I refill it from this .

the bins come out individually if I'm working a project where I need a quantity of a certain item

[Linked Image from ecx.images-amazon.com]
Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I have some of those larger multi-compartment kits like skip showed, which are fine for larger jobs where I need a bunch of different stuff on hand at once. I like the parachute bags, and especially like TTT's idea of using the (I'm guessing) 2 compartment boxes the cement wall anchors come in. I'm looking at small containers I can just chuck in my bag for small jobs that I don't have to worry about breaking or coming open and leaving me with a mess in my bag. I have several tool belts, but I don't do enough of this kind of work to usually worry about even wearing one most of the time. Most of the work I do (for other people and not my own hobby setup) is small time stuff like adding an extension, or fixing where the cleaning lady ripped the jack off the wall, that sort of stuff. That's why I'm thinking small...
Posted By: Yoda Re: Recommendations for small parts containers. - 02/02/16 02:41 AM
I use an old pill bottle for scotchloks, and a smaller one for bridge clips. And a couple of these container for screws, etc.. They come in two sizes: 4" and 6" tall. Available in all the big box stores.

It's all flexible plastic, with a slot in the top. Squeeze to open the slot.

Jim
That's exactly what I had in mind. I do like the bag that TTT linked to as well for bigger jobs.
I've carried this tool bag for years , the parts bin on the bottom has scotch locks, bridging clips , assorted screws ,screwdriver bits, mod plugs etc etc .

I replenish it when need be from the case I mentioned earlier

[Linked Image from ecx.images-amazon.com]

Klein tools Model 5151 is a 10 compartment canvas bag that holds a multitude of small stuff. (Similar to the Clincher that TTT referenced.)

Sam
I'm lucky , still have my Ma Bell metal box that had 12 separate sections
it is 7 1/2 X4 1/2 to carry screws , beanies, connectors, mainly just for repair
Me too agree 3 of them.
Can we see a pic?
Here ya go Jeff. Don't really keep them stocked since I've retired.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I have a metal kit like that somewhere but it was for faucet washers.
I have a big metal kit like that with 25 or so compartments, plus a gaggle of smaller plastic ones. They work great for bringing a bunch of stuff along and I use them for various things, like solderless connectors for automotive, and washers/o-rings for fixing faucets and whatnot. I have a tool bag I generally keep with me, and since I mostly do "handyman" type work, I was looking for small, rugged containers I could toss in the bag if I know I have some simple fix ahead of me. If I'm going in to specifically work on telephone or network wiring, I'll bring the kit with all the little bits in it. I was curious if there were small containers anyone knew of that would survive being chucked into a bag full of tools if I need a couple scotch-loks or mod plugs to get me out of jam. I found some small plastic jars, the ones bouillon cubes come in, that work well. Problem was my mother only had two I could swipe. smile I did find some small containers at wal-mart that seem pretty rugged and were dirt cheap, I just don't like the lids. They have snaps on the body that fold up and lock to the lid, I just don't know how they'll hold up over time. The bouillon cube jars have a screw lid that's just perfect. The other good thing about those is the labels came off clean, so I don't look like I've been rummaging through the garbage like a cheapskate. sick
And I am a cheapskate.

The product of being a handyman in a cold New Hampshire climate.
OK now I know what you are talking about. At Home Depot they have these soft plastic 'capsule' looking parts containers. The top comes off and you can just throw whatever screws and parts in there.

https://www.homegardenpro.com/Crown-Bolt-Everbilt-Clear-772236899/homegardenpro/prices-html
[img]https://s228.photobucket.com/user/Bob3470/media/FullSizeRender_zpsc5ywech6.jpg.html?sort=6&o=2[/img]
https://s228.photobucket.com/user/Bob3470/media/FullSizeRender_zps3dmevena.jpg.html?sort=6&o=1
https://s228.photobucket.com/user/Bob3470/media/FullSizeRender_zpsrxicueub.jpg.html?sort=6&o=0

This is the tool bag we were given back in the early 60s. Pure leather. Not like todays. We didn't have trucks when we were working in the downtown core. These had enough compartments to carry almost everything you needed.Mine was new at one time, but its had a lot of use. Still a few bits and pieces left in it.
Nice bag! Looks real useful. Who issued it?

Sam
The local telco - BC Tel at the time now Telus
Aha! Formerly a GTE entity - though that might have come later. When I worked for them (1980s) we never saw anything like that. Real nice.

Sam
Posted By: Yoda Re: Recommendations for small parts containers. - 02/09/16 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by jeffmoss26
OK now I know what you are talking about. At Home Depot they have these soft plastic 'capsule' looking parts containers. The top comes off and you can just throw whatever screws and parts in there.

https://www.homegardenpro.com/Crown-Bolt-Everbilt-Clear-772236899/homegardenpro/prices-html

That's what I said, about 6 or 8 post back. That garden shop link is about twice the money as the home depot item, as in my link.

Jim
See what happens when I don't pay attention :P
Posted By: Yoda Re: Recommendations for small parts containers. - 02/10/16 01:30 AM
Originally Posted by jeffmoss26
See what happens when I don't pay attention :P

Oh, I've been there too. No problem smile My link _was_ pretty small.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help