atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Gary S. HHR - 09/06/16 12:36 AM
Looking for a small service truck. Anyone use the chevy hhr?
Wondering if the small size off sets the good gas mileage ?
Thanks gary s
Posted By: BTS01 Re: HHR - 09/06/16 01:32 PM
I know we had a pretty in dept discussion about this awhile back, but didn't find it with quick glance. We had one, all depends on what you use it for and what you really haul. Makes it tough to carry a ladder without a rack. It gets you around good but not the greatest for accessing / hauling material.

Posted By: Rcaman Re: HHR - 09/06/16 02:11 PM
It's a trade off. We tried to use the smaller, more economical trucks and we went back to full sized trucks. As stated above, if the vehicle can't haul a ladder or boxes of cable and service tools and equipment, what good is it?

You can get great gas economy from a motorcycle, but hauling a 32' ladder is quite a challenge. :-)

You have to seriously consider what all you need to do your daily work and see if the vehicle you are considering will provide the power, capacity and convenience for you to do your job.

Rcaman
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: HHR - 09/06/16 05:34 PM
I was moved from a full size Ford E250 to a Scion xB (generation 1).

A generic rack on the roof for a 6' step ladder and a combo ladder (not a real ladder rack, so straps and bungies to hold them down takes longer to get your ladders on and off than it reasonably should). I was able to remove the rear seats and build a custom set up to organize supplies for the specific type of installation work that I did, told them to not call me for tall ladder work anymore, or hauling out complete systems or doing large wiring jobs.

With our company's method of shipping material to site, remote support, and on site duties, it's worked out OK. However, a REAL vehicle designed for service work would be 1000 times better. Good friend has a Ford Transit (new version), and it's one of the best setups I've seen.
Posted By: gelehu Re: HHR - 09/06/16 08:36 PM
Ive used an HHr for over 2 years now to run service with. All in all, Ive been pretty happy with it.Looked around till I found a 5' aluminum ladder that fits in the back just fine. I carry a couple boxes of cable, a tackle box for hardware, my tools and a foot locker with all the incidentals, jacks, cords, odds and ends.Average mileage is about 30 on the road or 26 around town.No malfunctions in over 30,000 miles. Pretty good service vehicle Id say.Another bonus, Ive got it registered in my name so I pay myself 0.54 a mile.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help