atcomsystems.ca/forum
Help With TELECOM Question, Test Your KNOWLEDGE

Im a Directv installer and want to switch over to verizon. Im applying for a job but before they accept you they make you pass a test(field operations assessment) and Im having problems with some questions since i know little of telecom Im a satellite installer so i need help on these questions. By the way this is just to get into the trainment phase any help is appreciated, THANK YOU!

1. The green lead on a sidekick test set is connected to the:
1.ground
2.ring
3.battery
4.tip
2.A grounding wrist strap must be used when working with which of the following items
1.NID
2.electronic circuit packs
3.SAL point
4.Terminal
3.What type of ground wire is typically used to ground a wood pole?
1.No. 6 insulated
2.No. 12. insulated
3.No. 6 bare
4.No 12 bare
4. Which of the following types of customer inside wire would not meet minimum telecom industry POTS line standards to qualify for a maintenance agreement?
1.Unshielded CAT 5
2.Shielded Cat 5
3.Braided Cat 2
4.Unshielded Cat 3
5.What is the purpose of grounding a Telco protector or the cable service?
1.To extend circuit length
2.There is no need to ground a Telco protector or the cable service
3.To increase bandwidth
4.Surge protection
6.Drop wires should initially be placed at heights higher than minimum clearances because
1. Electronic companies require telephone companies to comply with this policy
2.cable tv companies may place their service wires lower than the telephone company does
3.drop wires will sag from exposure to heat and precipitation
4.of the need to provide enough slack for easy repairs
7.which of the following is not an advantage of plowing cable over trenching?
1.lower cost of equipment
2.smaller size of equipment
3.causes less ground disturbance than trenching
4.can be used with greater depth and size of cable
8.what type of terminal should be installed in a new community of 2 family houses fed by underground copper cable.
1.six pair cable from each house to a pedestal
2.twenty-cable direct feed to an underground terminal
3.single pair cable from each house to a block terminal
4.six pair cable and protector from each house to the central office
9.drop wire runs should
1.be placed wherever it is most convenient
2.not cross neighboring property lines
3.be run off a neighbors house to obtain proper clearances over driveways.
4.be run in a straight line, directly from the serving terminal to the customers premises
10.the condition of no dial tone in a standard telephone circuit is more than likely caused by which of the following conditions?
1.ground on the ring side of the cable pair
2.short circuit
3.high resistance open
4.cross to a working pair
11.a customer line is testing as an open on both sides in the loop. what type of trouble does the customer have?
1.can only receive calls
2.busy signal
3.static
4.no dial tone
12.upon arrival for a service call you check the NID and realize there is no dial tone. you should
1.use your tone sender to locate the open on the line
2.disconnect the inside wires and then test the outside line
3.use your multimeter to check for static
4.run new outside wire (loop) to terminal
13.AC induction (power influence) creates______ on a circuit.
1.an open
2.a no dial tone situation
3.a short
4.a hum
14.when doing a buried drop installation, which is the proper cable to use
1.bridle wire
2.CAT 5
3.gel filled
4.plenum
Some of the questions are written wrong. One has a wrong word. Several miss the real answer.

With that said, some of the questions could probably only be answered by a person with experience. In all fairness, you should not be expected to know these answers unless you already know the answers, so to speak.

Question 3: The telco rarely grounds a pole. Poles are generally grounded by the electric company (not the "electronic" company, as stated in Question 6 -- unless you made that mistake in transcribing the questions?) and the wire is sometimes insulated and sometimes bare. I have never grounded a pole, as an employee of a telco.

Etc.
Right? These are the exact questions word by word, don't know how someone can get these questions right.
Sometimes tests like these are used to reject people rather the accept them
Uh, are you asking us all to help you cheat on a test? Why don't you study and find the answers yourself? You are really only cheating yourself by asking someone else to give you the answers to the exam.

God bless you. smiley-bounce
Actually, most of the answers are pretty logical. Sure, you might get confused about using #6 bare copper wire, but the rest of these fall under troubleshooting 101. Why I was just thinking that Cat-5e cable underground would work well for about 3 months or until the weather turned cold smile

Carl
Im applying for a job [with Verizon] but before they accept you they make you pass a test(field operations assessment) and Im having problems with some questions since i know little of telecom...

Sometimes tests like these are used to reject people rather the accept them

From my experience with Verizon techs, if you pass that test you would be over qualified. banghead

-Hal
Maybe it is not cheating.......maybe he is just resourceful?
If you have any experience in giving tests, you will see the obvious "no answer given" questions. Testing agencies generally put questions in the mix that will weed out a memorized answer sheet. Some are designed to allow the test subject to "reason an answer."

Admittedly, these questions are pretty sad. If this is what Verizon's entry qualification test really is, then it explains a lot about the techs they are hiring. Lowest common denominator does not a world class telecommunications company make.

Rcaman
It's a cable installer job. we work 12 hours a day. do u really expect someone to go to school and learn all of this? people like that don't make good techs. being that said it would've helpful if you could answer someone these questions instead of preaching.
No one is preaching here. It's just common observation. If you WANT to be more than a cable jockey, then learn some skills and don't take offense at helpful suggestions.

The simple fact is the telecommunications field is a technical field and there are multiple disciplines of learning in which one must have some skill to Adequately perform the job.

The answers to the questions are all available (except for the ones that are trick questions) and easily found with a little study and time. What the people on this forum are suggesting is that you take it on yourself to find the answers by STUDYING like we ALL had to do.

Rcaman
It's only you bro not everyone , I really doubt you know the answers though if you do I'll PayPal you something if u can help me out
Rather than make it a challenge, why don't you tell us what you know? Take the quiz in this forum and we'll grade it with comments.

Carl

If there was a trick question in the 14, I didn't see it. Some of them called for judgement, but no tricks.

I'd thought I would make it fun cuz I don't know it but WTF is the point of a forum if all ur gonna do is preach
Ever hear the expression "you can give a man a fish and he will eat for a day but if you teach a man to fish he can eat for a lifetime"?

Believe me, everyone here knows the answers and with a little work you can too. For example the answer to question #1 could be found in about 10 seconds by Googling the Side Kick User Manual. Other questions are common sense especially those about cable and grounding which you should know as a sat/cable installer.

I have never run a ground for a pole but I have seen plenty of them. So want to know the answer to #3? Go look at some poles.

-Hal
Matt, other than my first answer to your question, I have stayed out of this discussion. I am known for my patience with difficult people, up to a point, and then, I'm afraid, I become less tolerant. So, here comes the less-tolerant part:

I am not sure of your age or level of education. I am not sure if English is your native language. I am not sure that you understand what all these experienced and intelligent folks are trying to tell you. If you can read and understand the previous sentences, then we can continue the discussion in a meaningful way. Please compare my method of typing a message with yours. Mine uses capitalization, phrasing, correct spelling, and punctuation. Yours does not. I would not hire you based simply on your lack of command of the language and your argumentative and hostile manner. I would never let you loose at a subscriber's house or business, considering the way you approach a conversation.

Your method of communicating is belligerent. (Google it). One does not refer to gentlemen whom one has not met as "bro."

While I agree with my fellow technicians here, that the test, as stated by you, is not the best or brightest way to evaluate an entry-level person, I must agree with them that asking us to tell you the answers is not the best way for you to learn our trade. I will re-iterate what I stated earlier: To be able to answer these questions requires some field experience.

Your challenge to one of my friends that you pay him money if he can answer the questions is just insulting. He has a job, and knows the answers. You do not have the job, and you apparently do not know the answers. If he tells you the answers, how will you know if he's correct?

Come back when you have removed the chip on your shoulder, and are ready to speak in a civilized way to us. You need to learn some manners.

And, by the way, the answers are as follows:

1 - 1
2 - 2
3 - 3
4 - 3
5 - 4 (not exactly correct, but close)
6 - 3
7 - 4
8 - asks about "terminals" and the answers are type of wire/cable. The correct answer is 6-pair Buried Service Wire, or BSW, run to the nearest buried splice, pedestal, or pole. Any multi-conductor materiel is referred to as "wire" if 6-pairs or less, and as "cable" above 6 pairs. Cable is always referred to in the number of pairs. There is no such thing as "twenty-cable" in our industry.

9 - 2
10 - all of the answers are correct
11 - 4
12 - 2
13 - 4
14 - 3

My PayPal account address is [email protected]. I would say that $60 would be appropriate.
Here are some more, and, I hope, more meaningful questions:

What is the nominal voltage for a POTS line?

What is the voltage and frequency of ringing current?

Why do we use a twisted pair?

What is an exclusion circuit, and how is it wired?

What effect, if any, does a reversed pair cause?

What symptom(s) are heard when testing an unbalanced pair?

You are testing a cable pair for a POTS line. At one point you clip on the pair and hear a hum. Further down the line, you clip on and hear static. What fault condition are you likely to find?

What is a counter-cell?

What is a CEV?

When do you have the right-of-way when driving a Verizon vehicle?

Bet you never see a dime Arthur...
When do you wear safety-glasses?

What is an MDF and what is an IDF?

How do you determine the ownership of a joint-use pole?

What are load coils, and what do they do?

What gauges of wire are generally used in subscriber cable?

What color is the 51st pair in a 50-pair cable?

How does the medical term "interstitial" apply in telephony?

What is the difference between a carbon protector and a heat coil?

What is a bridging head?

What is a LARP circuit?

Before entering a manhole, what procedures must be followed?

What is the difference between an FXS and an FXO?

What is the difference between ANA and ANI?

How often must climbers (gaffs) be inspected?

What does the RJ in RJ-14 stand for?

You are installing a 6-pair BSW. What do you do to the 4th and 5th pairs at the pedestal or buried splice end of the wire. Why?

Describe capacitance as it applies to telephone transmission cable.

How many chest compressions per minute does one apply to a victim who is not breathing?

Describe where the terms Tip and Ring come from.

What is the difference between grounded ringing and metallic ringing?

What does the acronym "DIY" mean on a service order?

Who is buried in Grant's Tomb?
What is a varistor?

What does PIC stand for?

When is it appropriate to use flooded cable in aerial service?

Up to how many feet of flooded entrance cable can be run in a building?

Why aren't manhole covers square?

What does the M in 66M50 stand for?

Name one of the three men at Bell Labs who invented the transistor.

If a subscriber offers you a tip, what is the correct response?

Why do some systems use ground-start trunks?

Describe REN.

Why do we use 1004 Hz instead of 1000 Hz for testing trunks?

What is DTMF? MF? 10PPS?

What is an RJ45?

What is a diode bridge?

What documents and equipment must be carried and presented to a DOT inspector when you are driving a bucket truck?

What is open wire?

What binder group and pair color is pair 183?

When splicing paper cable, what is the mnemonic for arranging the groups?

What is a Picabond machine?

What can happen if the ground wire comes loose from a protector?

How often must a reading be taken from a gasimeter being used in a cable vault?

What is the meaning of a drop wire being run "out of limits" ?

Which one of the following terms does not belong in the group: J-hook, P-tie, ram's horn, B-connector

The preceding questions are some of those that I used when I was an instructor at the phone company. If you can answer 50% correctly, I will refund the $60.

Why do we use bifurcated contacts on relays?

What is sealing current?

What are SSM/SSP ?

How much scrap copper wire is the average outside-plant worker allowed to take home per pay period?

What are UY's and UR's?

What is the minimum height of a drop wire above a public highway?

What organization controls the North American Numbering Plan?

What is a tandem office?

What is re-order?

What is the PSTN and how does it differ from AutoVon?

What is ring-trip?

What is the standard ringing cadence for a North American POTS line?

Is the boss allowed to know what deductions are taken out of your check?

What is lashing wire?

What is the difference between a back-splice and a butt-splice?

You open an aerial splice case to find a fault, and you see a note that says "treat as paper" What does that mean?

How many feet per ohm is 24 gauge wire?

Mr. Bloom, please list 4 possible answers. At least there 25% chance of getting it right!
I was hoping this topic was going away. Mr. OP, the purpose of this forum is not to help you cheat on tests and defraud your employer and the phone subscribers. From the previous replies, you can see that most of us do not condone dishonesty.

So now you are offering to bribe us to help you cheat? Just because you are overworked and underpaid does not justify it. I would not want to let you in my house to repair my phone. Maybe you would steal something or worse. God bless you. computerprobs

I think the original post is bogus because a company is not going to give an applicant a test to take home and give him a couple of days to get the answers.

This test sounds like something found on an "exam cram" site because it is so poorly worded.

I had no trouble answering all the questions, but you do have to read them carefully.

"Mr. Bloom, please list 4 possible answers. At least there 25% chance of getting it right!"

When you get to be my boss, you can tell me what to do.

Multiple choice questions do not test deep knowledge, only superficial and lucky guesses. As you implied, anyone with a keyboard will get 25% correct. What kind of evaluation in a technical field would that prove? Do want to be operated upon by a medical doctor who was awarded his license by taking a multiple choice test?
I think this topic has run it's course.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help