atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Rhonda Junk Fax Dilemma - 05/26/05 06:24 AM
Is anyone having the issues I am with faxes from Telemarketers?

I am the PBX Administrator as well as the switchboard operator. We get junk faxes by the dozens every week. They come to our fax lines, to our direct dial lines, to my switchboard and the hunting numbers. We are being bombarded by these things.

Calling the opt out number at the bottom of the page only makes things worse. Calling and threatening them doesn't work. They even go as far as to block our number from reaching them. I've threatened them with the PSC and the FCC and have threatened lawsuit.

This is getting completely out of control. We can't change our numbers. Those that come directly to telephones won't stop until you transfer the call to a fax machine and print them so you end up using toner and paper on this stuff.

Has anyone found anything that works?
Posted By: paul144 Re: Junk Fax Dilemma - 05/26/05 07:01 AM
We ended up putting caller ID with unknown number blocking on our fax lines. It is a bit of a pain as we occasionally have to disable it to allow a fax through, but it has saved us a great deal of aggravation.
Also, you can complain to the FCC on their web site. I did so and faxed off all of the offending faxes to the FCC. It probably won't ammount to anything, but it has given me some satisfaction that, just maybe, the FCC might fine them.
Last, I have called a couple of the 800 numbers, not the remove numbers, but the number for the "cheap vacation" or whatever it is. I call and tie them up for as long as I can before finally telling them that I am reporting them to the FCC. I keep doing this until they block that number, then move onto my other lines. Again, it might not do anything constructive, but at least it is costing those jerks some money.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Junk Fax Dilemma - 05/26/05 07:18 AM
We had the same problem and ended up having to change our fax number because it was so out of control. Of course, this stopped most of it and we are really careful about giving out our fax number on things like free magazine subscriptions, e-magazines, etc. I just use a vacant DID number here if a form requires that the information be there. If someone wants to send us a legitimate fax, then they can call us to get the number. Sure, it was a pain to replace our letterhead, etc. but I think in the long run, the savings on toner and paper will offset the cost.

We also set our DID number for the fax to only work during daytime hours. Most of the junk faxes were coming in after hours anyway in mass sendings. We have it so that it remains working one hour after close of business and one hour prior to opening. Few legitimate senders would be working outside of those hours.

The only one that has me stumped is a local Chinese restaurant that sends their daily menu of specials. Our old fax number doesn't have a recording giving out the new one, so I just can't figure out how they got the new one! Ancient Chinese secret, I suppose.

The most annoying thing I have noticed lately is simple hangup calls. When they come in, every one of our 60 DID numbers gets called sequentially, always from the same calling number. We try to call that number back but it is always busy. I guess it's some kind of automatic dialer that is checking for available numbers or something. It happens at home, on my cell phone, other local businesses, etc. All of our numbers are on the Do Not Call registry, but that hasn't done much to block telemarketers.

------------------
Ed
---------
How come there's always enough time to go back and fix it a second time?
Posted By: dtmf Re: Junk Fax Dilemma - 05/26/05 07:28 AM
We switched over to efax about 1 1/2 years ago and problem is gone, simply delete the faxes you don't want and we don't get many of them at all.
Posted By: Rhonda Re: Junk Fax Dilemma - 05/26/05 07:28 AM
We have over 600 Direct Dial numbers so I can't change those and those get hit constantly with junk faxes. The worst is the switchboard, they are hitting all 17 of our hunting voice lines. We get them all day and night. When they come at night, the switchboard can't bring the call in so it rings the factory night bell... sometimes for hours until they give up or I come in.

I have called the 800 for the removal and I've called the lines for the vacations. I've asked them nice and not so nice to stop. They think it's a big joke.

We get faxes from all over the world 24/7 so night blocking would only stop a few. I'm frustrated and at my ropes end.

This needs to be a battle in the legal world. I've read where people have sued and won and are still getting faxed. Between spyware and junk faxes a person could go insane!

Thanks, Rhonda
Posted By: Test-ok Re: Junk Fax Dilemma - 05/26/05 08:53 AM
So you know where their coming from?
You've asked to be taken off the list?
and they think it's a joke?
Have you tried the Hall of Shame?
https://www.sundance-communications...cs&forum=Hall+of+Shame&number=25

------------------
| Need a Telephone | Telephone Installers
Posted By: Rhonda Re: Junk Fax Dilemma - 05/26/05 09:01 AM
No, I didn't take it to the Hall of Shame as I don't know the sender.

One of them referenced a Disney Vacation so I went after the Disney Corporation and their lawyer contacted me back to state that they were in no way involved in these but he was aware of them and was trying to figure it out as well.

These are non name posting companies that cause this amount of junk. These are either fax broadcasters or companies going through fax broadcasters. Either way they are slime.

Has anyone gone after these legally???? I'd like to hear about the battle. Case studies online have shown people to sue and win yet they are still being faxed.

Thanks
Posted By: telsetrepair Re: Junk Fax Dilemma - 05/26/05 09:17 AM
I came across this site, while is may not pertain to faxes, it does have some intresting ways to deal with telemarketers. Its a rather large site with links within, and there might be a bit on how to deal with fax spam. Good luck!
https://www.scn.org/~bk269/telemarketing.html
Posted By: Test-ok Re: Junk Fax Dilemma - 05/26/05 09:28 AM
First off you need to find out where their coming from, I'm betting it one company.
Can you send me a few (2 or 3) different faxes?
If you can send them to 702-920-8308 and Might be able to find out where their coming from.
Posted By: KENB Re: Junk Fax Dilemma - 05/26/05 10:26 AM
did you try the do not call directory
and i thought there was a new law and penalties for junk faxes
Posted By: Rhonda Re: Junk Fax Dilemma - 05/26/05 11:05 AM
Thanks test-ok. I just sent you a couple of different ones. Any help is appreciated.

KENB: I have tried the opt out number many times. The more I do that, the worse it gets. I know the FCC insisted that was an option but I think they use it to confirm they're getting through.

I'm going insane over this.

Thanks for everyones responses, I just don't know if there is a way to beat this.
Posted By: BillyBob Re: Junk Fax Dilemma - 05/26/05 11:54 AM
Rhonda,
Submit ALL your numbers to the national Do Not Call Registry (www.donotcall.gov).
Posted By: Test-ok Re: Junk Fax Dilemma - 05/26/05 12:04 PM
Got your faxes, they hide very well. This is all I found:
https://digital-falcon.com/pipermail/toxickemail_digital-falcon.com/2005-March/000025.html
associated with 800-778-4179
and I called 800-821-6601 she answered "reservations" I asked for some off the wall name, Brooks mfg. she said it was USA Vacation in Florida.
You might want to call that # and ask who does their ad campaign through faxes (like the one you got for them) and play them like you want to hire this company to do your ad campaign. That might be the only way to find em, but if we can find who they are, then ya got em.
what information comes across the top of the fax, (it's probably phony, but what does it say on like a few of em) All I got was your information, from your fax machine/company.
Posted By: Rhonda Re: Junk Fax Dilemma - 05/26/05 12:08 PM
Billy Bob,

I have done that already. I believe the Do-Not-Call support does not accept business numbers but I took that route in the State and Federal level anyway. It hasn't helped at all. I don't think these folks care about lists.

I've been on this issue for many years now. It's just getting out of control. And it's getting worse month after month. It's not so bad on the fax lines but being a switchboard operator, my calls are going up by the dozens daily due to fax tones on the line. And that's if I pull each in as they come. If I hang up and try to ignore them, they won't stop. Last night the switchboard was hit from 3am to 6:20am before they finally stopped. Then I got the call at 7:30 when I opened up the board and it was just another junk fax.

Anyone need 6 days in Cancun for $99.00? I know where there's a good deal [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]

Thank you though.
Posted By: Test-ok Re: Junk Fax Dilemma - 05/26/05 12:17 PM
here's some additional info.
https://spam.weblogsinc.com/entry/7277418074228274/
do you have caller ID? if so are you looking at what #'s are calling?

added:
How many incomming fax #'s do you have?

[This message has been edited by test-ok (edited May 26, 2005).]
Posted By: Htown_tech Re: Junk Fax Dilemma - 05/26/05 12:19 PM
Try this link: https://www.junkfax.org/index.html

Looks to be some useful info there.
Posted By: Rhonda Re: Junk Fax Dilemma - 05/26/05 12:27 PM
Test-ok

Thanks, I'll take a look at the site.

No, we don't have caller ID. It's too expensive on the PBX.

We have 8 fax machines, some are Potts lines and some are DID. Some are on servers which we distribute via fax. It's not that my fax machine junk faxes are bothering me so much... it's those coming to my switchboard and my users. I'm busy on the board with customers and I'm putting them on hold for fax tones CONSTANTELY. Plus my 300 DID users are getting them and calling and yelling at me. Meanwhile, I have work to do inbetween. Sorry, I'm just venting. Can you see my frustration.

I thank you for your help!!!!!
Posted By: Test-ok Re: Junk Fax Dilemma - 05/26/05 12:33 PM
What kind of a switch do you have?
Phone switch.
added:
Htown_tech's link is pretty good too.

[This message has been edited by test-ok (edited May 26, 2005).]
Posted By: BillyBob Re: Junk Fax Dilemma - 05/26/05 12:54 PM
Apparently the donotcall.gov site does work to some degree. I had junk faxes and put my business numbers on the do not call list and the calls did stop after a month or so. Sorry it didn't work for you.
Posted By: paul144 Re: Junk Fax Dilemma - 05/26/05 12:55 PM
Just as a follow up to what I had posted earlier, we recieved the junk faxes from 4 "different" promos, with 4 different call to remove me nubers. When we called to get removed from one of them, we began getting more faxes from other sources the next day. I am virtually certain that one central marketing company is handling all of the faxing that we are getting. I really hope that the FCC busts them.
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: Junk Fax Dilemma - 05/26/05 01:34 PM
Don't know how legal it is but a friend of mine that runs a voicemail service has 2 T1s at his place of business. He turned on the demon dialers to dial the 800 numbers 24 at a time for 15 minutes with a message saying "quit faxing me now" He then called and asked if they had enough. No more faxes.
Posted By: Rhonda Re: Junk Fax Dilemma - 05/26/05 01:49 PM
Yes, I have thought of revenge

They have a trick for this too. I was sending fax tones to their 800 reservation lines. They can block my trunks from calling them. I called their 800 line each time they sent a fax which was multiple per day and can be multiple per hour. Guess what... suddenly, either their phone line either only rings or I get busy signals. They become unblocked eventually so I do it again but I don't think for my personal effort, it bothers them enough. I think maybe... it just makes them send more which may be how I got so inendated lately.

Trust me, they deserve full revenge and I've spent many of hours pondering what would work. I will stay within the legal boundries as I need the PSC and FCC fully on my side when I get really mad.

Since I first posted this question today, I've received 16 paper faxes, 9 fax calls on my switchboard and 11 complaining staff about fax tones bothering them. They'd love my chair. That's just one day of non-work related frustration!

I apprecite everyones help and suggestions. I'm not going to let the fax slime win. They're just one up on me right now. I'm just surprised this isn't more wide spread or am I the only switchboard/fax/PBX Adm. who is posting here. Thanks again.
Posted By: bcousins Re: Junk Fax Dilemma - 05/26/05 02:17 PM
Rhonda,
Go to www.junkfaxes.org. This is the info they list to file a complaint with the FCC. The FCC can fine the offending company $500 for each occurrance. There is also info on filing a complaint with the States Attorney General and private lawsuits.

" Send a COPY of the fax with a cover letter to:

Consumer Information Bureau
Federal Communications Commission
445 Twelfth St. SW
Washington, DC 20554
In your cover letter you must state:

Put near the top of the letter in bold print "TCPA COMPLAINT - UNSOLICITED FAX" this is very important to ensure it goes to the right office.
Your name and contact information on how to get in touch with you for further information.
Specify the date the fax was received, and the phone number it was received at.
You MUST be sure to include that you did not invite or give permission for the sender to send you the fax(es).
If you want the FCC to take action against the sender, you must also include a statement that you "request the Commission take appropriate action against the sender." Otherwise, it will just be filed for statistical and reporting purposes, but no action will be taken against the sender."

Hope this info helps.
Good luck.
Barb

------------------
https://www.deanecom.com
Posted By: aweaver Re: Junk Fax Dilemma - 05/26/05 02:52 PM
What PBX are your using? I don't know if this would work or not but it's a theory anyway. If you could do fax detextion on your switch & have the switch transfer all fax calls to an extesion that has a SIT tone generator, then here's what would happen.
All fax calls being sent to your switchboard would get the doo-doo-doo "were sorry but the number you have dialed has been disconnected" Some fax servers will remove a number from their database after hearing the SIT tone.
If you can't do auto fax detection then you could still manually transfer calls to your SIT generator.
Of course you can't do this for lines that are designated fax lines.
Posted By: Test-ok Re: Junk Fax Dilemma - 05/26/05 03:20 PM
aweaver
That's what I was thinking in a round about way. I was thinking about an auto attendant answering calls and making the caller dial say a 1 then have it ring to the console, and if it didn't dial anything it would hang up...because the machines won't dial anything. (just a thought)
It depends on what system it is as to what it will do.
Posted By: aweaver Re: Junk Fax Dilemma - 05/26/05 06:17 PM
This idea is even better. Since a fax would not generate a DTMF tone it would be stopped in the first routing box & with no human being bothered.
The answer is to fix the problem technically--not legally & you have two options discussed here already.
1) Use test-ok's idea which I think is the best.
2) Block calls based on caller id.
Posted By: DnRComm Re: Junk Fax Dilemma - 05/26/05 06:22 PM
As you said "File complaints with the FCC" mainly for your switchboard lines, your Telco Provider can give you a list of the incoming numbers that are sending the faxes. I have a mortgage company that has 15 or so fax lines and they have had the same problems. The more info you can provide to the FCC the more they can assist you and the millons of other companies that are fighting this.

------------------
Voice and Data Cabling in DFW, [email protected]
DnR Communications
Posted By: jsaad Re: Junk Fax Dilemma - 05/26/05 06:47 PM
I get a ton of junk faxes too. I am thinking about trying this site https://www.faxrecoverysystems.com/

I read an article about a guy who sent them some faxes he received and he got a check for $200. Then again who has the time to mail your junk faxes to someone.
Posted By: KLD Re: Junk Fax Dilemma - 05/27/05 01:03 AM
It's almost amazing how techs nation wide think alike. A few months ago a local business had similar problems with the stack of junk faxes every morning. When his switch goes to night mode his fax goes off, lines go to the AA /VM, fax tones are detected and sent to an extension VM box with the SIT tone. In the mornig day mode brings the fax back. Works great.

Another customer had the fax problem on voice lines. A Viking unit sent fax tones to a 1004 hz tone generator. No fax tone it went to the switch.

With over 600 lines I doubt any of these small system cheap fixes would work. Your local servicing utility company should be able to assit you in tracking these people or diverting fax tones on voice lines.

Wish you the best of luck. It can be very frustrating. Just don't give up.

[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
Posted By: frodo_35 Re: Junk Fax Dilemma - 05/27/05 08:55 AM
Try a tele zapper. I know it sounds to simple to be true. Most computerized auto dialing systems sense the tone provided think the number is disconnected and removes it from there active data base.I have done this at a few locations in a much smaller setting setting then yours and it reduced the fax calls alot. also when your number is removed its not transfered to the next guy they sell the list to. These people are like parasites and they dont mind bugging you at your toll free exspense.

[This message has been edited by frodo_35 (edited May 27, 2005).]
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help