atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: ATechguy Conferencing Options ?? - 03/10/17 11:27 PM
HI! Just looking for some ideas for a Small town Hospitable conference room,, The IT guy has asked me for a quote,, i have not been there to see the size of conference room ,, but he wants :
-1 good sound quality coverage,possibly speakers in ceiling.There is drop ceiling.
-2. I believe the existing PBX is Older Meriadian, Polycom on analog port? with extended mics.I will have to ask if they have future plans on upgrading PBX.
I know i don't have all the site details ,, i just want some feedback.Oh and they want the work order out by end of March.
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: Conferencing Options ?? - 03/11/17 03:18 AM
I like what you said about Polycom. Very good units.
Posted By: John807 Re: Conferencing Options ?? - 03/11/17 04:32 AM
I second Polycom.
Posted By: ATechguy Re: Conferencing Options ?? - 03/11/17 12:40 PM
HI! Yes i thought about that ,,he sounded like he wanted more coverage ,, would the 2nd polycom just bridge off the 1st .Not sure what model they have. He suggested a unit with ceiling speakers.
Posted By: MooreTel Re: Conferencing Options ?? - 03/11/17 02:08 PM
More coverage? Is he talking about incoming voice or outgoing?

Polycom is the way to go, but there is no "output" to external speakers that I have seen. Personally I wouldn't bastardize a new unit to accomplish that.

If he's talking about incoming, turn up the volume...if it's outbound, get the model that you can add mics.
Don't know of anyway to "bridge" 2 Polycoms. Maybe contact Polycom for their advise.
Posted By: ATechguy Re: Conferencing Options ?? - 03/11/17 02:26 PM
Sound room coverage ,, they have extended mics on the Poly,, just looking for alternatives , you know how people are,, thats why i am seeing if anybody else has installed any other brands that use ceiling speakers that worked as good as Poly? Thks
Posted By: John807 Re: Conferencing Options ?? - 03/11/17 02:33 PM
Years ago I did a conference room option with ceiling speakers. The caveat was it worked like the listen feature on a Norstar. One guy would talk on the handset and the whole room heard the conversation. If I remember correctly I used an adapter that would bridge the handset to an amplifier or p.c. input (maybe got it from Sandman) then connected to an amp and ceiling speakers. Again the drawback was the outside callers could only hear the guy on the handset.
Posted By: ATechguy Re: Conferencing Options ?? - 03/11/17 02:44 PM
TOA makes good quality sound equipment , that has ceiling speakers for conferencing ,,i have used there paging amps with music,, I may check that out ,,Thks for ideas. If anybody has used a conferencing system with ceiling speaker?? Was it worth it ?? Thks
Posted By: DND ON Re: Conferencing Options ?? - 03/12/17 09:00 PM
The newer Polycom units have external speaker jacks and can be daisy-chained. I've used the VTX1000 with external mics and ceiling speakers, with excellent results.

We're using BiAmp equipment in our new conference center, with iPads to control the phones, AV and lighting. Honestly, the high-priced ceiling microphones don't sound as good as a Polycom sitting on a table.
Posted By: ATechguy Re: Conferencing Options ?? - 03/12/17 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by DND ON
The newer Polycom units have external speaker jacks and can be daisy-chained. I've used the VTX1000 with external mics and ceiling speakers, with excellent results.

We're using BiAmp equipment in our new conference center, with iPads to control the phones, AV and lighting. Honestly, the high-priced ceiling microphones don't sound as good as a Polycom sitting on a table.

Thks. I haven't got all the info , but i suspect they are using an analog port off the meriadian ,, I see VTX can use analog, thats great ,i will look into That more. Thks again.
Posted By: oobie Re: Conferencing Options ?? - 03/14/17 02:00 PM
we've done as DND ON has. We've even used these in Mobile environments with a small PA system running the output of the Polycom unit to it to broadcast across it.
Posted By: ATechguy Re: Conferencing Options ?? - 03/14/17 04:56 PM
Thks. what quality of speakers do you use ,and how many ?? ,, I would think a 15w amp would be plenty,, if i only need 2 speakers ? I would like a very small amp that could be mounted under the conf. Table. Not sure if they make any amps there are mini size?? Thks very tips.

Update !!, looks like 900 sq. ft.
Posted By: John807 Re: Conferencing Options ?? - 03/14/17 07:47 PM
900 square feet, are all the occupants in the room going to be able to contribute to the conversation? Seems like a whole lot of chatter could go on with what I presume are going to be alot of people in the room.
Posted By: ATechguy Re: Conferencing Options ?? - 03/14/17 08:16 PM
IT guy says 25 people can sit at conf. table ,, would a Poly VTX1000 with 2 wireless mics , possibly subwoofer under table and a small page amp with 2 to 6 speakers ?? That sound doable? Meriadian CS1000 ,analog port.
Posted By: John807 Re: Conferencing Options ?? - 03/14/17 09:38 PM
25 people at the table, I would at a minimum try to go 5 mic's and atleast 6 speakers to keep the speaker level low. 2 wireless mic's might be a stretch. You will have to be careful with feedback.
Posted By: ATechguy Re: Conferencing Options ?? - 03/14/17 10:13 PM
Can you even put 5 mics on a Poly VTX1000??

UPDATE! With VTX1000 you have the 3 mics on main unit and 2 expansion mics. this should be enough ,, suppose to be good up to 20 ft each mic. Wondering how to best place the 6 speakers for least feeback?
Posted By: DND ON Re: Conferencing Options ?? - 03/15/17 12:56 AM
This might be a job to walk away from. Balancing audio in conference rooms is as much an art as a science. With 900 square feet, expect lots of call backs and ongoing tweaking. There's a reason why the guys that specialize in this stuff get big bucks.
Posted By: ATechguy Re: Conferencing Options ?? - 03/15/17 01:29 AM
Polycom VTX1000 supposed to adjust it self to room conditions?? ceiling speakers would be set low? Would the IT guy not be able adjust it if necessary ?? I didn't think it was this complicated,, so i should kick this to the curb?? cry
Posted By: John807 Re: Conferencing Options ?? - 03/15/17 04:38 AM
Since I wasn't sure where this was going from the get go, but yeah at this point I would hand it off to the experts. Sorry I see this going to video conferncing and such. Probably best to let it go.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help