atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: teldata1 How are they doing this? - 04/28/18 02:26 PM
I have a customer who owns a Macco dealership they have an Aspire M with Pots lines
They use Comcast

According to the customer the cooperate office can record all calls get reports on how many calls are answered, ect

there is no equipment on site

the local customer ordered the lines thru Comcast they pay the bill

The only thing I can think of it corporate does require them to install there MOH Source which is connected to the internet

just wondering

Posted By: hbiss Re: How are they doing this? - 04/28/18 03:12 PM
I don't think it could be the MOH player, that just plays the corporate storecast. No way, through it's connection to the system MOH input, would there be any way for a player to receive any data from the phone system. Have you actually looked at the installation to see if there is anything unusual going on? Do the CO lines loop through the player maybe?

-Hal
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: How are they doing this? - 04/28/18 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by teldata1
According to the customer the cooperate office can record all calls get reports on how many calls are answered, ect
Do you suppose corporate tells that to all their franchises "to keep them in line"?
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: How are they doing this? - 04/28/18 04:07 PM
Simple, its done in the Cloud, there are many Cloud provider that bridge on to the service provider and can do many things.
Posted By: hbiss Re: How are they doing this? - 04/28/18 11:57 PM
I can't believe that an account with the cable company that is set up and paid for by the customer is going to have the lines "tapped" by a third party. I seriously doubt that the cable company even has the facilities and smarts to pull it off.

Then I'm thinking - are the numbers owned by Maaco corporate? 800 numbers perhaps? I see that there is a 1888-MAACO-USA. The call goes to them first on the way to your customer. Looks like MAACO shops have their own local numbers though so I can't see that happening.

-Hal
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: How are they doing this? - 04/29/18 01:40 AM
I believe the end user gets additional IP address. The provider then uses them to access the system and provide the services.
Posted By: hbiss Re: How are they doing this? - 04/29/18 03:35 PM
I have no idea what an Aspire M is so I can't comment. Google only comes up with an Acer computer or a smart phone.

-Hal
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: How are they doing this? - 04/29/18 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by hbiss
I have no idea what an Aspire M is so I can't comment. Google only comes up with an Acer computer or a smart phone.

-Hal
TIE begat Nitsuko
Nitsuko's descendants are Ultracom/Mod-Key/Onyx... et cetera.
Which begat the i-Series (384i-124i)
Which begat the Aspire
Which begat us UX5000.

NEC Aspire
Posted By: hbiss Re: How are they doing this? - 04/30/18 04:13 AM
Ok, so after looking at the evil spawn of Nitsuko, I'm not seeing any capability to do that either.

So as it stands, if the caller calls Maaco via their 888 number and gets transferred to a local shop via one of their own numbers, yes the call can be monitored. Other than that Dean was right the first time.

-Hal
Posted By: JBean3329 Re: How are they doing this? - 04/30/18 07:14 PM
We have accounts that have listed local numbers that forward to a national call center, then come back to the local store front to be answered, all with Big Brother listening in, tracking abandoned calls, and all that data everybody seems to need these days. Causes no end of trouble with local switch settings, though, especially with disconnect supervision and other signalling. Makes blood come out my nose sometimes.
Posted By: hbiss Re: How are they doing this? - 05/01/18 04:33 PM
But I would think the MAACO owner would know about that? Nothing was said about how and who set up the cable account. If it was just the owner calling the cable company asking for service on a few POTS lines there is no forwarding going on. So OP, is that how it went? Or was MAACO corporate involved?

I know companies like Allstate insurance that own the local numbers and they can do anything they want with them before it gets to the local office.

-Hal
Posted By: DND ON Re: How are they doing this? - 05/01/18 04:41 PM
This is an Aspire. Having installed a bunch of them, I call BS.
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: How are they doing this? - 05/01/18 09:08 PM
If the toll free number is in the Maaco HQ, it's not BS. You dial the number and it is forwarded to the 10-digit franchisee number. Now, Maaco can keep stats on the toll free traffic. They can't monitor the local direct calls, since they don't have control of that number, but most any cloud system can track and record the numbers that pass through their system.

Carl
Posted By: EV607797 Re: How are they doing this? - 05/02/18 03:09 AM
I can say with complete certainty that U-Haul does this, even if you call the local franchises' number. I know this because I rented a truck from them last summer. I was told by the woman on the phone that calls were automatically diverted to her call center if all of the local lines are tied up or not answered within three rings. When I went to the local store, I saw that they had RCA 4-line phones, with all four lines in use the whole time I was in line.

I also know a former agent for Farmer's Insurance. They mandated that she have hosted service from a specific provider and her equipment cost was zero. Now we know why. She paid the bill, but they monitored every bit of her agency's traffic.
Posted By: hbiss Re: How are they doing this? - 05/02/18 03:47 AM
Sure, RNAs can get transferred by the cable company. I just wonder if they can transfer to a number not on the account of the subscriber. We know nothing from the customer about his cable account.

I did mention Allstate and how corporate gets involved.

-Hal
Posted By: oobie Re: How are they doing this? - 05/04/18 11:44 AM
Comcast is probably doing it for them. I know we have a few car dealerships that Comcast does all the call recording and reporting for them because of deal they agreed with them for getting all 10 sites.

Posted By: JBean3329 Re: How are they doing this? - 05/04/18 03:27 PM
If the feature is available on the line, the end-user can forward the calls to any number he chooses himself with *72 or whatever the provider switch uses. This isn't a high-level conspiracy by any means.
Posted By: hbiss Re: How are they doing this? - 05/05/18 02:46 PM
Nobody thinks it's a conspiracy, just a question about how it's done in this case and so far we came up with as many questions as theories. Without the OP asking the customer some pointed questions we can debate this all day.

Apparently now we have gone from the original question about call monitoring to call forwarding...

-Hal
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help