atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: John807 You Tube Videos - 05/27/18 04:48 AM
I think I finally got it. I tell the IT weenies what I need then they go to You Tube videos to figure it out. It takes them weeks and months to get back to me and it's still wrong. Then it is dropped completely for months until it is a fire drill again.
Posted By: RonP Re: You Tube Videos - 05/27/18 10:14 AM
Brilliant! Einstein would appreciate the genius behind that.
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: You Tube Videos - 05/28/18 03:19 PM
That seems to be where all training is or will be before to long
Posted By: hbiss Re: You Tube Videos - 05/28/18 03:36 PM
That's because they are searching for the You Tube videos too.

That seems to be where all training is or will be before to long.

Over on the electrical board I chastised a couple of electrical engineers with four year degrees for not knowing the basics. One couldn't connect a Ring doorbell and couldn't tell a resistor from a diode. One of them answered that we don't have to know a lot of material that was taught to EEs 20 years ago. Now we have the internet.

This country is DOOMED!

-Hal
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: You Tube Videos - 05/28/18 03:56 PM
My by-line says it all.
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: You Tube Videos - 05/28/18 04:28 PM
It's just the way it is.
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: You Tube Videos - 05/28/18 04:30 PM
Hal, no one has to know how to install a ring door bell.
There wireless now.
Open box , tape to wall, press button.
Sad but true.
Posted By: usbuild Re: You Tube Videos - 05/28/18 05:05 PM
Why “Sad”, I think it’s great.
Why spend hours trouble shooting connections, wiring, power supply when there are more time/cost efficient way.

I recently completed online training for sl2100 on ntac. All you get is 16 videos with how to instructions (click, click, upload, reset....). No explanations on what’s going on behind the scenes. I guess the only way to learn now, is to stay on top of forums and YouTube videos
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: You Tube Videos - 05/28/18 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by usbuild
I think it OP is in regards to some of the WTF* YouTube videos out there made by vloggers that strive to the level of amateur and yet consistently fail.

*Doesn't mean "Welcome To Facebook".
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: You Tube Videos - 05/28/18 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by usbuild
Why spend hours trouble shooting connections, wiring, power supply when there are more time/cost efficient way.

I recently completed online training for sl2100 on ntac. All you get is 16 videos with how to instructions (click, click, upload, reset....). No explanations on what’s going on behind the scenes. I guess the only way to learn now, is to stay on top of forums and YouTube videos

I have seen yours and other questions on the forum, this is what the OP was referring. Learning OTJ on someone else's dime WASTING HUGE amounts of time on things you should know. I understand it's the future and the way it is now doesn't mean it's good or right. Trust me next NEC dealer meeting I plan on confronting how much tech support time is being burned from SL dealers because these guys cover them all. When I call support 99.9 percent of the time it's needed because of a software/hardware (now licensing) issue, not NOT knowing what I am doing because of lack of training. Don't get me started on people that THINK they can configure firewalls, the amount of time they waste on my jobs in unreal. Even IT tech support is a joke.

Off soapbox...LOL
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: You Tube Videos - 05/28/18 07:33 PM
There goal is to make money. They will let non trained people sell there product and let tech support help install.
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: You Tube Videos - 05/29/18 01:08 AM
Originally Posted by hitechcomm
There goal is to make money. They will let non trained people sell there product and let tech support help install.

Oh I get that. But, if you give people the impression you don't know what you are doing, not going to be great customer relationship. Trust me, people understand when they see when someone is faking their way through something. Now, whether they are interested to put up the money to get it done right quickly and with little or no down time that's another issue. Everything is important until you haggle price.
Posted By: hbiss Re: You Tube Videos - 05/29/18 03:07 AM
Hal, no one has to know how to install a ring door bell.
There wireless now.
Open box , tape to wall, press button.
Sad but true.

This one wasn't. It used the existing doorbell wiring. Regardless, it is a simple DIY project with clear instructions. This guy couldn't handle that.

-Hal
Posted By: usbuild Re: You Tube Videos - 05/29/18 01:14 PM

You would love to get proper technical training, but how???
Looks like SL series training courses designed for techs with experience on SV line of products. SV courses only available to dealers, direct employees and end users, I’m none of the above. Forced to learn OTJ since 2008
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: You Tube Videos - 05/29/18 02:20 PM

That has been true for most manufactures (except perhaps 1A2 in the later years). A company becomes a dealer and the dealer sends their tech to training.

Most over the counter systems they sell these days you only need the minimum of knowledge.
Posted By: John807 Re: You Tube Videos - 05/29/18 10:37 PM
One of the early classes I took was you have a dead 24vdc power supply. It is Sunday
There are no parts available. In your truck you have a 24 volt step down transformer some capacitors and a bunch of
1N4004's. This was 1A2 days so any tech. probably had this stuff. What do you do? Hal and Professor Shadow stop grinning put your hands down and go for coffee. This is for the rest of the class. If you find it on You Tube please send me the link. Hard day of pulling cable is easier than dealing with people.
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: You Tube Videos - 05/29/18 11:24 PM
Posted By: John807 Re: You Tube Videos - 05/29/18 11:33 PM
TouchTone Tommy I should have excluded you too. Point is back then you had to know stuff. I didn't watch the video I trust it is accurate. Did they include a voltage regulator?
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: You Tube Videos - 05/29/18 11:52 PM
[Linked Image]
Posted By: John807 Re: You Tube Videos - 05/29/18 11:58 PM
Know what after everything I've worked on over the years my favorite setup was a Mitel SX-200 with a 1A2 back end. Short sweet and simple. Next in Line was the Nortel PBX enhanced with an Octel voicemail. after that to the dump to the dump to the dump William Tell Overture. There were others they were my top 2 though.
Posted By: DND ON Re: You Tube Videos - 05/30/18 12:33 AM
I'm probably most frustrated by "technicians" who ask stupid questions, and are amazed when I know stuff that is almost end-user level - feature codes and basic system operation. And they have the balls to charge their customers!
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help