atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: James M Cowan TS22A - 12/03/18 03:02 PM
I am trying to replace the small 3 volt battery in very old ts22a handset. I found where someone had posted some info on this site but have not been able to find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Posted By: hbiss Re: TS22A - 12/03/18 04:19 PM
Quite a bit of info actually. After removing the conformal coating usually by scraping, you can unsolder the old battery and solder in a new one. Some suggest using a socket and a regular coin cell, but unfortunately the pins of the socket won't line up with the holes in the board. So some modifications need to be made.

I've never gone the socket route. The battery lasts quite along time as long as you keep up the main 9V battery. And if it does need replacement, the hard part is already done- removing the coating.

-Hal
Posted By: James M Cowan Re: TS22A - 12/03/18 06:02 PM
Is the original battery soldered on both top and bottom?
Posted By: hbiss Re: TS22A - 12/03/18 07:32 PM
I believe the board is through-hole plated so yes. Not a problem if you know how to de-solder. You need Solder-Wick and a solder-sucker is nice too. When you get done you should have clean holes which the leads on the new component go right into ready to be soldered.

-Hal
Posted By: James M Cowan Re: TS22A - 12/03/18 09:17 PM
So if I understand you the new battery will have the leads already on it?
Posted By: hbiss Re: TS22A - 12/04/18 01:29 AM
Yes. If you look at the number on the original battery and order the same that's what you will get.

-Hal
Posted By: James M Cowan Re: TS22A - 12/05/18 07:37 PM
Not sure if this make a difference but this one has two cells that are connected together with a small metal strip.
Posted By: hbiss Re: TS22A - 12/05/18 10:13 PM
On top of each other?

-Hal
Posted By: James M Cowan Re: TS22A - 12/06/18 05:56 PM
Yes. They are connected with a small strip of metal bent in a s shape which attaches them together. Looks like + to -.
Posted By: hbiss Re: TS22A - 12/07/18 06:05 AM
I have not seen that. Question is- is it two batteries with the "S" clip removable or is it a complete factory assembly of the two batteries. Do you have the number off the top battery? Like CR- something?

-Hal
Posted By: James M Cowan Re: TS22A - 12/07/18 03:07 PM
They are soldered together and also soldered to a board. Number on the on side of the one I can see is BR1225.
Posted By: hbiss Re: TS22A - 12/07/18 06:04 PM
Some pictures would help. The normal battery used is this- BR12251HB which is a single cell which is 3V. Question is what is it that you have? You seem to think it is two cells in series (6V) but I can't believe that they changed the circuitry to require 6V when it was always 3. Maybe it really is vintage?

There is a BR2235-2HC which is 6V but not easy to find.

-Hal
Posted By: hbiss Re: TS22A - 12/07/18 09:46 PM
This is what I'm used to seeing- although it looks like some kind of holder is being used because the CR2032 does not have leads. I know I have the batteries that I used someplace but I can't find them to give you the number. mad

[Linked Image from eitad.com]

-Hal

Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: TS22A - 12/07/18 10:50 PM
Looks like mine is newer [1990's] than Hal's...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hbiss Re: TS22A - 12/08/18 12:27 AM
Umm, that's a piezo not a battery.

-Hal
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: TS22A - 12/08/18 12:53 AM
I was referring to the layout for comparison. No need to un-glue to see what's beneath. Also yours has a VR-2 where as mine does not.
Shell is a different color... two-tone vs mono-tone.
Posted By: hbiss Re: TS22A - 12/08/18 01:31 AM
Ok, this is one I did. Battery is a Panasonic BR2330A/GA

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPfmk4mCMs7Yv19JRDjnFFCNV0RvgjhLmpB6U2W
-Hal
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: TS22A - 12/08/18 03:04 AM
Error 404 Hal.
Posted By: hbiss Re: TS22A - 12/08/18 03:36 AM
Works for me.

Let's try this.

-Hal

Attached picture IMG_0222rr.jpg
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: TS22A - 12/08/18 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by hbiss
Works for me.
-Hal
If it's in your Google Photos file and if I don't have assess then I will get the error as you will not.
TS-21?
Posted By: James M Cowan Re: TS22A - 12/08/18 05:47 PM
Have not figured out how to attach photo from iPhone. My unit is about 25 years old. It has two batteries that are stacked and connected together from the factory.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: TS22A - 12/08/18 06:26 PM
Easiest way is to email the picture to yourself from your phone.
Download the email attachment using whatever device you are using to view this page.
Then follow these instructions:

https://sundance-communications.com...to-post-pictures-on-this-site#Post589204
Posted By: hbiss Re: TS22A - 12/08/18 07:31 PM
Then follow these instructions:

That has got to be the most convoluted thing I have ever seen!!!

-Hal
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: TS22A - 12/08/18 07:57 PM
Follow the Windows version if DOS doesn't work.

or Attach the file...
Posted By: hbiss Re: TS22A - 12/08/18 11:24 PM
I'm using LINUX. devil

How about him emailing it to one of us geniuses and we will post it?

-Hal
Posted By: hbiss Re: TS22A - 12/09/18 12:55 AM
If you use the "Full Editor" you have the Attachment Manager down at the bottom left. You should be able to upload your image there and have it appear in your post without going through all that. I did it twice until I figured out that apparently there is a size limit in height and width. Exceed them and you see nothing. That correct?

And, yeah that was my Google account which I never use. Guess they don't allow hot linking. Photobucket was so easy but since they are no longer free that's out.

-Hal
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: TS22A - 12/09/18 01:10 AM
The benefit of using the Photo Gallery [the long method] is you can choose Medium or Full for posting in a thread so it isn't over powering.

Medium Image Max Width/Height
If either the width or height exceed this value then the larger sized property will be scaled to this, with the other being proportionally scaled.
Default: 480, however Forum is set to 300 pixels

Full Image Max Width/Height
If either the width or height exceed this value then the larger sized property will be scaled to this, with the other being proportionally scaled.
Default: 1920, however Forum is set to 1200 pixels

File types for attached file are limited to: .gif,.jpg,.txt,.zip,.png,.pdf,.eml,.xlsx,.doc,.mts,.mpeg,.wmv,.avi,.mpg,.mp3

NOTE That JPEG files will not work.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: TS22A - 12/09/18 01:14 AM
I'm using LINUX. devil

How about him emailing it to one of us geniuses and we will post it?

-Hal
PM Sent to OP
Posted By: hbiss Re: TS22A - 12/09/18 11:02 PM
Image sent to me by the OP. This looks to be a more recent TS22, note the piezo and the battery on a daughter board. Not seen that one. Battery looks to be ready to be removed. You do that?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hbiss Re: TS22A - 12/09/18 11:19 PM
Could you get us a picture of the label on the top of the housing showing the model also showing the keypad installed?

-Hal
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: TS22A - 12/10/18 12:15 AM
I wonder if it's a Fluke?
Posted By: James M Cowan Re: TS22A - 12/10/18 12:50 AM
Does not seem to have a label. I will send picture of the numbers. What you see in the picture is the battery still on the top and you can see the edge of the battery on the bottom. You can also see the plastic ring that separates them. Both are soldered to the board and together in the middle. I have not tried to remove the solder yet.
Posted By: hbiss Re: TS22A - 12/10/18 12:55 AM
Send a picture of the case and dialpad.

-Hal
Posted By: hbiss Re: TS22A - 12/10/18 04:45 AM
If there is no label how do you know that it is a TS22A?

-Hal
Posted By: hbiss Re: TS22A - 12/10/18 06:11 AM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Probably one of the last versions of the TS22A manufactured by Harris before they sold the rights to Fluke. I've been looking for a replacement for that battery with no luck. Assemblies like that are custom made and since Harris no longer makes the TS22s you won't get any from them.

You might try giving THESE guys a call. If they won't sell you a battery it would be worth it to send it to them for repair. That butt set is a lot newer than the ones I use.

Good luck!

-Hal
Posted By: James M Cowan Re: TS22A - 12/10/18 01:53 PM
The picture I sent you shows the numbers stamped in the case. I guess this is the label?
Posted By: James M Cowan Re: TS22A - 12/10/18 01:55 PM
Dang you must have a real old one soon enough I bought this one new 20 years ago.
Posted By: hbiss Re: TS22A - 12/10/18 03:30 PM
Bottom picture of handle. TS22A and serial number. Just goes to show you, I doubt the new stuff would last as long. These were made for phone companies for their techs in the field. New stuff is made for IT people.

-Hal
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: TS22A - 12/10/18 04:11 PM
[Linked Image]

Interesting differences between your Harris Dracon TS22A and mine.

The circuit boards are a little different the STO key on my touchpad is white (not red).

My numbers are:
TS22A 2 009
9717 531319

Posted By: hbiss Re: TS22A - 12/10/18 04:50 PM
Dean, where is the battery in yours- or doesn't it have one?

-Hal
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: TS22A - 12/10/18 07:33 PM
Unless you can find it...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: TS22A - 12/10/18 07:36 PM
larger image for clarification

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hbiss Re: TS22A - 12/11/18 12:31 AM
At some point they did away with the battery because it amounted to planned obsolescence since the battery is really not meant to be replaced. There was a law suit over it that they lost. So the question is what was the progression of the TS22? Mine is obviously the oldest with the OPs newer but yours the newest? If that's the case, why the major redesign of the OPs with yours going back to the old design? Maybe it was easier to eliminate the battery with the old design?

What does that piezo do anyway, I don't remember. Does it beep when in data lockout?

-Hal
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: TS22A - 12/11/18 01:21 AM
Electronic ringer
What does that piezo do anyway, I don't remember. Does it beep when in data lockout?

-Hal
Piezo is the electronic ringer, I believe. Data lockout was just using monitor-mode.

I believe I purchased it between 1994-1996 and prior to that was my TS-21...which I still have. Those things are expensive when you make $12.00 an hour and have to purchase them yourself and cannot write them off at the end of the year. 🤑
Posted By: hbiss Re: TS22A - 12/11/18 03:42 AM
Tell me about it.

-Hal
Posted By: ChrisRR Re: TS22A - 01/14/19 04:02 PM
I have the same set that the OP has that Hal posted a picture of. Mine just bit the dust. I have the same little daughter board with the two little batteries, but those aren't the ones that died. There's a CR2045 under that piezo. Mine had tabs spot welded to the battery and no one would make one up for me, and I didn't feel like waiting weeks for some chinese battery that -might- work. So being the ingenious little devil I am, I desoldered a CR2032 cmos battery holder off an old computer motherboard I had laying around, the tabs almost lined up perfectly, and soldered it into the set. Presto. It works again. I just set the piezo back on top of the battery, no glue. its all plastic so I wasn't worried about it shorting out.
Posted By: ChrisRR Re: TS22A - 01/14/19 04:49 PM
Since something is preventing me from posting a picture like I've done a hundred times before, go HERE to see what I did.
Posted By: hbiss Re: TS22A - 01/14/19 08:23 PM
Yeah, I was wondering if it was UNDER the piezo. If it's the same as the one I showed in my picture they are readily available from all the electronics supply houses. The big problem with using a battery holder (and that really is the way to go) is that nobody has found one that even came close to the pinout of the original battery. Apparently you have. Good job.

-Hal
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: TS22A - 01/14/19 11:18 PM
[Linked Image]

Interesting circuit board differences between Chris above, and mine below.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hbiss Re: TS22A - 01/14/19 11:42 PM
Completely different.

-Hal
Posted By: dexman Re: TS22A - 01/15/19 12:26 AM
Substantially reworked.
Posted By: ChrisRR Re: TS22A - 01/15/19 05:43 AM
Hal, that came off a 2008 ish HP motherboard. The pins didn't line up exactly, but were close enough to just angle them a little and they poked through. Obviously the battery life of the 2032 is going to be half or less of the 2450 that came out, but its at least easy to change now.

I hope those other two batteries don't bite it. Mine are so caked in that conformal coating that it will take me hours to dig them out without destroying the board below.

As it was, that 2450 didn't come out easy. I ended up breaking the spot welds on one of the tabs so I could lever up the battery as I was gingerly slicing the hardened goo that was holding it down. It was awful.

I have a second TS22a that hasn't had any issues, so I've never opened it beyond changing the 9v battery. I'm curious how different it is.

This yellow one in the pictures above is a hand-me-down from someone who worked at Lockheed-Sanders. It's written in marker on it, and they haven't been called Lockheed-Sanders since 1995! Not a terrible life span for a coin cell battery.
Posted By: hbiss Re: TS22A - 01/15/19 04:38 PM
I'm told that there is a solvent made to dissolve that conformal coating though I never looked for it.

-Hal
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help