atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Anonymous Question about google voice - 04/01/19 10:56 PM
I was curious if google voice is a form of VOIP?
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Question about google voice - 04/01/19 11:53 PM
From the Wiki page:

Google Voice permits Voice Over IP (VoIP) as a beta from both the web and Android clients. It formerly supported XMPP signaling but no longer does. However, it has been reported that at one time some users could receive calls with their Google Voice accounts via the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP).

Wiki Page

Posted By: ChrisRR Re: Question about google voice - 04/02/19 12:38 AM
Yes, it is. I have two Google voice accounts, registered to two obihai-200 analog telephone adapters. It (mostly) works just like an ordinary phone line with the normal limitations of VoIP. You must register an account with the OBI website and link the device(s) to that account, and from there register them to the proper Google voice account. I had to go through a little extra rigamarole because Google didn't have any New Hampshire numbers, so I had to get a burner cell phone, activate it and port the number over to Google voice. The other limitation I've noticed is there is no caller ID name, only the number. They lack the lookup service and aren't going to bother to change that anytime soon. One other thing that I personally find annoying is the lack of any way to change the number of rings before the call goes to GV voicemail. There is no way to change this. Other than that, they have always seemed to work just fine, don't cost anything, and were pretty easy to get up and running. They also don't natively support 911 or E911, you must get that from a third party provider if you want it. I have other lines with working E911, so I've never bothered, but it isn't expensive to add it on, maybe a couple dollars a month, don't quote me. If you have any other questions, feel free. I've had my 2 google voice lines for a few years now and haven't really had any issue with them.
Posted By: metelcom Re: Question about google voice - 04/02/19 11:14 AM
It's works like most VoIP ...part time. I have my Google voice ring the office and cell phone. Many times only one phone will ring and only a couple rings before it goes to VM. Also the voice will will only work in one direction so calls have to be redialed to get good connection.
Posted By: ChrisRR Re: Question about google voice - 04/02/19 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by metelcom
It's works like most VoIP ...part time. I have my Google voice ring the office and cell phone. Many times only one phone will ring and only a couple rings before it goes to VM. Also the voice will will only work in one direction so calls have to be redialed to get good connection.

I don't have it forwarding to other numbers (as I'm sure that's what the service is intended for). I have never had these issues using the obi-200 devices. The connection and call quality has always been excellent. Just my experience. YMMV
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Question about google voice - 04/13/19 02:23 AM
I want to thank all the responders who answered my question, I now have google voice, and will soon be making the connection to some kind of corded telephone set up,( I know what that is already but will cover that in a future post), but you all answered it perfectly so thank you.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help