atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Geochurchi Gate access control - 11/19/20 01:18 PM
Hi All, I hope this the right forum, and I can ask the right question, my community has a gate access control system the keypad is a Select Engineered Sys,Inc. I am trying to understand the sequence of operation ie, guest dials our code from gate key pad, we then push the #9 on our cell phone, what happens from that point on?
We have some owners that have difficulty using cell phones and the #9 to operate the gate access, different carriers and different cell phones.
Thanks
Posted By: hbiss Re: Gate access control - 11/19/20 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Geochurchi
... guest dials our code from gate key pad, we then push the #9 on our cell phone, what happens from that point on?
We have some owners that have difficulty using cell phones and the #9 to operate the gate access, different carriers and different cell phones.
Thanks

Pretty self explanatory. The gate controller "hears" the #9 DTMF touch tones and opens the gate. You are correct, some phones and carriers do not pass the tones after a call is connected even though you hear them when you dial. The only thing someone can do is change the phone or carrier. See what the people who have no problem are using.

-Hal
Posted By: Geochurchi Re: Gate access control - 11/19/20 08:40 PM
Hi, I am still not getting the answer I am looking for, may not be ask it correctly, but once I press the #9 on my phone it goes through my carrier and then where? At some point a relay is triggered to open the gate, where is the interface between my carrier and the gate control?
Maybe a one line Dia would make sense.
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: Gate access control - 11/19/20 09:01 PM
Built into the gate phone is a DTMF detector and a relay. When the DTMF detector registers the correct digit(s) coming over the phone line from the party it called, it cycles the relay. The relay is connected to the gate controller, which opens and closes the gate. It is just based on the audio coming in on the phone line, but if the cell carrier is distorting the sound the door phone's DTMF detector wont detect it, or if the cell carrier actively blocks Touch Tones from being sent it will never get to the gate phone
Posted By: Mercenary Roadie Re: Gate access control - 11/19/20 09:47 PM
This is my understanding of how it works (very basic)
1. A person enters your code into the gate controller keyboard.
2. The gate controller calls your cell phone.
3. You answer the call creating a link between your cell phone and the gate controller.
4. You enter the gate open code #9 on your phone.
5. The gate controller hears that code and opens the gate.

When the gate controller calls you and you answer, you now have a direct path into the gate controller.
Posted By: Yoda Re: Gate access control - 11/20/20 01:10 AM
If you're at the gate's keypad and enter your code, why not just go ahead and enter the #9 on the keypad too? No phone call needed.

Jim
Posted By: Geochurchi Re: Gate access control - 11/20/20 01:23 PM
Hi Roadie, that’s pretty much it, what I am am trying to understand is, once I hit #9 on my cell phone Verizon sends that tone directly to the gate control, How? Maybe I am over thinking this but just curious how the whole series of events take place.
Jim, the #9 is used for remote access.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Gate access control - 11/20/20 05:26 PM
Here is a drawing of the path taken from the cell phone to the gate

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: Gate access control - 11/20/20 05:27 PM
If I called you on your cell phone, and you pressed #9 while we were talking, I would hear the touch tones.

So if I were the gate phone calling you, and heard the touch tones #9 coming from you, I would press the clicker that opens the gate.

Electronically, the gate phone has a circuit built into it that is listening for those specific touch tones. When it gets the right ones, in the right sequence, it triggers the relay that cycles the gate.
Posted By: Geochurchi Re: Gate access control - 11/20/20 05:39 PM
OK, this is making more sense, Thanks for the drawing, so in our case we have CenturyLink as the provider in the security office, what is the interface there ,or would there be a direct line to the gate keypad? If so I would assume that that keypad would have its number, correct?
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Gate access control - 11/20/20 08:14 PM
"CenturyLink as the provider in the security office, what is the interface there"

Here is a video of what a demarc in a home/small business can like:

Posted By: hbiss Re: Gate access control - 11/20/20 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Geochurchi
OK, this is making more sense, Thanks for the drawing, so in our case we have CenturyLink as the provider in the security office, what is the interface there ,or would there be a direct line to the gate keypad? If so I would assume that that keypad would have its number, correct?

Are you actually saying that you don't understand that the gate controller and call box at the gate are connected to a phone line??

1) Visitor enters the directory code for the resident they want to visit.
2)The call box calls the resident using it's own phone line.
3) Resident answers the call and can converse with the visitor.
3) Resident dials #9 to open the gate.

Geeze! This ain't rocket surgery!

-Hal
Posted By: BWC Re: Gate access control - 02/12/21 06:14 PM
For those having issues with their cell phones, have them check the settings on their phone app for DTMF tones. Some have an option for "short" or "long" tones. Short is the default and changing to the Long option should fix the issue. I had similar issues accessing Auto Attendant/Call Manager systems until I made this change on my cell.

Hope this helps!
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help