atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Toner IP Phones - 08/22/04 10:38 PM
Has anyone worked with the IP phones on the CTX? I was impressed with the product initially, but was dissapointed to find that the incoming voice information will not pass through my router. The outgoing voice data works as well as the station signalling data, but I couldn't figure out a way to make the router pass the stream for incoming the incoming voice. I assume the problem lies in the UDP data stream. I don't claim to be any sort of expert in this area, but it seems to me that if there is no way to easily route this data then there isn't much use for this product. Who can afford assign a real IP address to every single telephone? On the other hand, I have a Primus box that allows an SLT to dial out through the internet which worked on the first try through my router with no setup required. Is there something I can put into my router tables to allow the Toshiba sets to work?
Posted By: phonemeister Re: IP Phones - 08/23/04 11:55 AM
Are you trying to route calls out through the internet?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: IP Phones - 08/23/04 02:18 PM
We have completed a number of VoIP installations on the CTX. It is pretty much plug and play. We just set it up and it worked!

The BIPU cannot be located behind the firewall, it needs a public IP address. The phones, once programmed with the BIPU IP, will normally get their IP from whatever router they are plugged into (DHCP). I have mine plugged into my Linksys Wireless router at home and I have very good voice quality.

We have a customer in Lakeland (Base CTX System) with 15 IP phones 35 miles away and 4 more in Miami!

Can you tell I like the product???
Posted By: Toner Re: IP Phones - 08/23/04 05:10 PM
Keuk, are your phones working over a VPN? That is the only way I could figure to make these phones work over the internet. And yes, I had the BIPU in front of any firewalls and it had a public IP address.
Posted By: fascar2000 Re: IP Phones - 08/24/04 08:51 AM
I had the same problem until I put the BIPU outside the firewall. I was able to hear who I called but they could not hear me. The main problem we found was the traffic comming back was going to an internal IP thus wouldn't route correctly.

In that Scenrio the BIPU was a 10.0.0.XXX
the phones were going to a real IP and routed to the 10.0... address. We had our Firewall/Network engeneer working on this for eight hours then decided to put it completely outside the firewall.

With out the ability to add 2 IP's to the phone or the BIPU it will only work if the IP's are the same on both ends. If you have a firewall a VPN tunnel would probably be the best, allowing all traffic to pass.

This has already been said above though.

If you are still having problems maybe a packet sniffer would help to determine the exact ports and protocals that need to be routed.
Posted By: JRLWeasle Re: IP Phones - 09/05/04 07:48 PM
I have a CTX 100 and am having a problem with my VOIP phone also. I have used a sniffer to find all the ports I believe need to opened. Then I translated my CTX100 to a public address. No matter what I do when I set the BIPU on the phone, It says BIPU not found. Anyone have a suggestion or know exactly what ports need to be opened?

Thanks
Posted By: martin Re: IP Phones - 09/06/04 07:42 AM
taking a poll
does anybody know of instances where a customer was happy with ip over the internet?
m
Posted By: DrPbx Re: IP Phones - 09/06/04 09:41 AM
My only happy customers are using point to point T-1's sharing voice & data. The internet cloud hasn't any QOS.
Posted By: Toner Re: IP Phones - 09/06/04 10:29 AM
I would say the same sort of thing. The only good results I've heard of with VOIP are on a private network.
Posted By: martin Re: IP Phones - 09/07/04 05:45 AM
that,s my experience also. it,s our responsibility to not let our customer go down these dead end(sometimes expensive)
roads. it may cost you a job in the short run. but you may gain a long term customer
m
Posted By: junkman Re: IP Phones - 09/15/04 06:02 PM
As said above, the bipu MUST be on a public IP, not behind a router, not even DMZ! If you can't put it in front of the router, use a VPN. I haven't had any problems other than choppy audio on low-bandwidth connections.
Posted By: martin Re: IP Phones - 09/16/04 04:38 AM
hopw does your customer deal with the choppy
audio? none of the people i deal with will accept that QOS.
m
Posted By: junkman Re: IP Phones - 09/18/04 03:36 PM
I only have one that still has choppy audio, and that's at one of our offices. Switching from slow DSL to cable modem this week.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help