atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Y. Wontitwork Toshiba CTX - noise in system messages - 09/07/07 10:04 AM
I'm getting static noise in the voice mail and all system messsages (calls are clear). The other day system messages were clear, here is what has changed since yesterday.
1.) We added a Polycom Soundstation to the analog line that was previously installed.
2.) We had a good thunder/lightning storm come through last evening.

Regarding 1.) I unplugged the Polycom and still get the static in the system messages (calls are clear).

The obvious guess is that the Polycom has caused a problem? Does anyone know why it would cause the noise in the system messages?

Thanks
Is your system grounded??????
Posted By: SSPhone Re: Toshiba CTX - noise in system messages - 09/07/07 10:58 AM
Have you reset the system and voicemail?
Thanks for the follow-up.

It is grounded. I'm not sure to what, the installer ran the ground wire into the ceiling structure.

Have not tried to reset the system. Is this just yanking the cord, or is there a specific way to reset?

Thanks
Posted By: meisgq Re: Toshiba CTX - noise in system messages - 09/10/07 12:40 PM
Yanking the cord works as well... or flick the power switch on the system.
If you have an inskin voicemail, you might want to shut it down first before powering off the cabinet.
I would try to follow the ground cable and make sure it is attached to something that actually is connected to the building ground. I had a system that had a BRI card in it and we had complaints of Static when that card was used. Come to find out the grounding cable was connected to a piece of steel in the ceiling but was covered with paint and not actually touch the steel. Stuff like that will drive a tech nuts when they have tested everything but checked the grounding.
Good advice. I had done nothing at this point, even waited to try a restart until I knew the tech was on the way (just-in-case).

This I listened this morning and the static was gone. I had thought we had this problem once before a while ago, and maybe at our old location. At that time it did it for maybe a day, I didn't have time to address the issue then, but when I checked again it was clear so I had put it out of my mind.

I cancelled the service call, and asked if they knew what might cause it to have static then clear up. They said they would run it by a tech to get back to me. The ground is in the ceiling so it's not readily available to check.

The Polycom on the analog jack has been unplugged since the trouble was noticed, in case it was the cause. Does anyone think that a problem with the Polycom or analog line would cause the static?

I'd like to hear what you all think before I plug ithe Poly in again. I'd hate to do some permanent damage. From what I was told the analog is ready to go with the polycom, we had the power-plug at the time of instal, but had to find a replacement phone.

Thanks.
Posted By: junkman Re: Toshiba CTX - noise in system messages - 09/14/07 11:26 AM
Since the problem is only on VM and system messages, I'd think the VM would be suspect. If outside calls are OK, it's an internal problem.

Can't see how the Polycom would cause trouble for anything but extensions on that analog card, so plug it in and try it.

What kind of VM and outside lines do you have?
I've had the polycom plugged in since Monday and no trouble thus far. Last time the problem came up overnight (along with the t-storms).

Looks like the Poly is in the clear, but need to check the ground.
We had a tech out to handle some other issues. I had them check the ground and they said it was good. They though it was probably an issue with a power failier or a brown-out. We have it plugged into a good surge protector but not into a battery backup.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help