atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: 1OldPhoneMan CTX670 SMDR no data output? - 03/05/08 06:54 PM
Just moved a CTX670 AR3.1 into a new equipment room. Everything worked fine when we restarted the system except we're no longer getting SMDR output on serial port 1 (top port of the BSIS).

SMDR has worked fine up to now.

WinAdmin shows port 1 is properly setup for SMDR (803 & 804) plus SMDR out (512 & 514) is setup correctly.

Still, SMDR output. So, what have I missed here?
Posted By: newtecky Re: CTX670 SMDR no data output? - 03/05/08 10:52 PM
If you are working on a version 3.1 software, you should move away from WinAdmin and start using eManager, but that wouldn't be your problem.

I'm figuring that you had made a backup prior to moving and it's unlikely anything change my moving equipment. When you say you have no output, you have tried connecting to you PC or laptop's serial connection and running hyper terminal?

I'll just figure you checked the obvious, connections and such. I would delete the SMDR from the I/O devices and recreate it. That has worked for me in the past with other things, like SMDI.
Posted By: Toshiba Bob Re: CTX670 SMDR no data output? - 03/06/08 04:57 AM
Verify with your laptop that there is no data coming from the I/O port. It could be a cable problem, the printer or end device issue.
Posted By: phonemeister Re: CTX670 SMDR no data output? - 03/06/08 09:27 AM
Make sure you are using a 6-conductor line cord from the BSIS to the call accounting computer.
Posted By: 1OldPhoneMan Re: CTX670 SMDR no data output? - 03/06/08 10:50 AM
I'm using the same 6C cable serial to the logger as before. It should be OK, but I'd best check it.

Suggestions above much appreciated and will be useful. (Will post follow up info here.) I've got a similar system on the bench and will test a bit with it. (Now I have to find my DB9 adapters and crimp tool. Don't use 6C much anymore, either.)

Further comments and suggestions welcomed.
Posted By: Steve Mull Re: CTX670 SMDR no data output? - 03/06/08 10:56 AM
May be a bad PPTC-9
Posted By: MrEngineer Re: CTX670 SMDR no data output? - 03/09/08 09:46 AM
You mean to plug in the PPTC-9 to the bottom port?
Posted By: 1OldPhoneMan Re: CTX670 SMDR no data output? - 03/18/08 06:21 PM
UPDATE: Still not working, the problem appears to be serial port configuration.

Have now confirmed RS232 data is coming out of the CTX670 BSIS Port 1 (top port), but I can't read the SMDR records with Hyperterminal I see output, but it's showing as garbage (random junk) on the terminal screen. I suspect it's serial settings, but I can get it to work.

Same thing is happening both at the customer site and with another CTX670 I have here in the shop. From that, I conclude that I must be doing something wrong, but what?

Also: My PPTC-9 and cable are confirmed good. I even get the data into the PC, my terminal programs (Hyperterm, Putty, SecureCRT) just show gargage characters, as if the speed or parity are set wrong. My serial port is known good, I use it for router and Stratagy setup all the time.

Have tried default 9600-7-Odd-1 and also 1200-8-N-1 as well as several serial configs. Always see garbage. Is there some kind of trick or special setting on the CTX670 setup, beyond the setup in Command 804 (WinAmin System-->I/O Devices Menus)
Posted By: newtecky Re: CTX670 SMDR no data output? - 03/18/08 07:57 PM
I thought it was 9600 8-N-1. I know most serial connections nowdays are 8 bit, no parity and 1 stop bit. I would try a baud rate of 9600 and even try faster. Usually garbage is a sign of wrong baud rate or other settings.
Posted By: p2ii Re: CTX670 SMDR no data output? - 03/20/08 11:36 AM
If you're getting data but it is garbage you probably have the wrong terminal type selected. It will either be VT100 or TTY.
Posted By: 1OldPhoneMan Re: CTX670 SMDR no data output? - 04/14/08 05:12 PM
SOLVED! Problem found to be mis-wired 6C to DB9 adapters, just like it was suggeted here. Of course, we took the long way 'round the barn to get there. We make our own PPTC-9's but this time we got a batch of mod 6C to DB9F adapters where the color code on the wires coming off the 6C modular jack was backwards. How's that for annoying?

In addition, the on-site tech was wiring up new PPTC-9's based on his wire color to DB9F pin notes. vs. actually counting out correct pin positions on the modular jack insert.

A straight thru 6C cable worked as a temporary fix until the adapters were rewired "by the book". Geez, what a fire drill for such a simple problem this was...
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help