atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: jcbailey CIX and Asterisk - 04/15/08 04:10 PM
I asked a bit about this back when SIP trunking was newish, but now that it's been available for a few months, has anyone had experience using SIP trunks to Asterisk?

We're looking at upgrading an existing DK280 to a CIX at another site (connected via private network), and don't want to do a forklift upgrade of the phones, so interfacing a newer Toshiba PBX to our existing Asterisk switch is what we'd like to do.
Posted By: petersog Re: CIX and Asterisk - 04/16/08 09:48 AM
sip trunking is only available thru 2 providers. and you have to use those providers to get the license from Toshiba.
Posted By: p2ii Re: CIX and Asterisk - 04/16/08 12:37 PM
How are you wanting to interface the 2 systems? If you are talking about a simple TIE connection with point to point T-1's, that is fine. Otherwise, petersog is correct.
Posted By: TadiranTechTexas Re: CIX and Asterisk - 04/16/08 02:03 PM
So you can't connect to systems thru SIP trunking if they are on the same network?
Posted By: jcbailey Re: CIX and Asterisk - 04/16/08 02:08 PM
We're looking at connecting from a CIX to a PBX running Asterisk on a private network. Does Toshiba only allow connections to their two providers, or can you program the PBX to connect to any provider and only two of those are "officially supported"?
Posted By: newtecky Re: CIX and Asterisk - 04/16/08 07:39 PM
They have only been tested with the 2 providers. They are working to get it tested with others. As far as I've seen, they are not locked only to the two.

I thought I read about someone connecting a Toshiba to an Asterisk using SIP trunks. I tried for a little bit to connect to a Shoretel with SIP trunks, but couldn't get it to work.

I'm not sure about the licensing requirement. We have only put SIP trunk licenses on our in-house system at this point.
Posted By: p2ii Re: CIX and Asterisk - 04/17/08 07:04 AM
I have a system in my lab connected to Asterisk with SIP trunks but it is strictly for testing and eval for the specific carrier. It does work (not in total harmony mind you) with Toshiba's implementation but I believe they have based their setup around Broadsoft softswitches. We are working with Toshiba's cooperation on it to try and get them certified. The problem is, Toshiba will not grant licenses for you to do this on your own.
Posted By: Todd Porter Re: CIX and Asterisk - 04/22/08 09:54 AM
I found this thread which is somwhat similar to what I am trying to do. Sorry to interject another issue but.... I have an Altigen system that I was thinking of connecting to multiple sites with Strata CTX's. I know how to configure on the Altigen side but I need some info on the Toshiba side. I'm not that familiar with them and was wondering if they support h.323 and how would I configure it for extension dialing between sites.
Posted By: p2ii Re: CIX and Asterisk - 04/22/08 11:20 AM
I believe the old BVPU card supported h.323 for TIE lines over IP. That's the only thing h.323 I can think of for the CTX.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help