atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: daniel0581 Is this what I need? - 12/19/08 07:41 PM
Hello All,
I am trying to make my own PPTC-9 is this what I will need?

Thanks,
Daniel
Posted By: newtecky Re: Is this what I need? - 12/19/08 11:30 PM
That should work.

The picture almost looks like male pins, but the decription says female, so it should fit your serial port.
Posted By: daniel0581 Re: Is this what I need? - 12/20/08 09:28 AM
Now when I get it do I just put the pins in the right place or do I need a tool to make them stay inplace once they are in the proper slot?

Thanks,
Daniel
Posted By: MacOSX Re: Is this what I need? - 12/20/08 09:31 AM
There is a special tool, of which I do not know the name/part number. I will search for it in a bit. I always knew it as a "pin-puller" and it basically looks like a female sleeve that goes over the pins, so you can contort them into place, without bending them.

----

~edit

that didn't take long -->

D-Sub pin inserter/extractor - click here
[Linked Image from national-tech.com]
or below :
https://www.tecratools.com/product1200.html
Posted By: daniel0581 Re: Is this what I need? - 12/20/08 10:21 AM
So with one of these do you just put the pin-puller through the outside hole of the serial port pin (on the pptc-9) and then stick the wire through the inside and pull the pin puller out of the outside? Does that make any sense?

Thanks,
Daniel
Posted By: newtecky Re: Is this what I need? - 12/20/08 01:49 PM
I've pinned quite a few of those connectors before. The insert and extractor tool does make it easy, but it is possible to insert the pins without the tool. Sometimes the pins do need a little nudge to lock in place. That tool will push the pin into place from the back side.

That tool is also and extraction tool, for when you put the pin into the wrong hole. I haven't found another way to get the pins out once they lock into place.
One end of the red and white tool (red end) is the inserter, one end (white) is the push in so you can pull the wire out as it cover the stickies keeping it in.

You put the red around the wire and push in and it stays. You put the white around the wire and push all the way in so you can grab the wire and pull it all out together.

Radio Shack part number 276-1426
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help