atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: PTME IP Phone Disconnection Issue - 02/14/09 02:59 PM
Phones: IPT-2010-SD
System: CIX6700
IP Card: MIPU16

Some of our IP phones (only some) seem to loose connection momentarily and they do not automatically re-connect. The user has to unplug and electricity from the phone and plug it back in to get the phone connected again.

We have played around with different routers, etc, and that has not proved helpful. The phones have the same firmware (the ones working properly and improperly).

Any way we can correct this issue?
Posted By: newtecky Re: IP Phone Disconnection Issue - 02/14/09 04:02 PM
Does it get stuck on TRTING LAN? This may not fix the connection problem, but on FB11 setting says Boadcast. Change it to manual. That way when connection is lost it won't try to find the LIPU using a broadcast, and should be able to reconnect without rebooting phone. Broadcast works good on a local LAN, but not so much with remote IPTs.
Posted By: MacOSX Re: IP Phone Disconnection Issue - 02/14/09 05:42 PM
I agree with newtecky. If it is not that, you may want to try another router (even though you stated that you tried others), I have never had a single problem with an off-the-shelf TrendNet router (usually a wireless per customer request).

https://www.trendnet.com/products/

They seem to be the only consistent "no problem" router with the IP Phones.

Also, who is the provider?
Posted By: PTME Re: IP Phone Disconnection Issue - 02/14/09 09:46 PM
Thanks, I will give that suggestion a shot and let you know.

We have had great success with various D-Link routers, even with the broadcast setting on FB11. But again, with a few it's been a problem.

The providor is OptOnline/Cablevision for both the CIX6700 and the phones, though the phones are remotely located at employees homes.
Posted By: MacOSX Re: IP Phone Disconnection Issue - 02/15/09 07:49 AM
The employees home provider is what I was wondering about. We have had nothing but trouble with cable MoDem providers like Time Warner Cable and Comcast... sometimes blocking ports for VoIP. That in combination with a D-Link or Linksys router have lead to all kinds of problems.

*note - that is just for us and our area, but providers are different on a per-location basis.
Posted By: newtecky Re: IP Phone Disconnection Issue - 02/15/09 10:46 AM
More and more routers have SPI firewall built-in, which causes problems with the phones. Linksys routers can not disable SPI, while other routers can.

The most comman problem that occurs with an SPI firewall is that it finds the IPU, then says Cant Register.

I was at a house that contantly lost a connection. While troubeshooting I noticed that ALL the PCs at his house lost connection to the internet randomly for about 20 seconds. I never did figure out why. I had guessed it was the router. He had DSL with a 2wire DSL/Router provided by the carrier.
Posted By: PTME Re: IP Phone Disconnection Issue - 02/17/09 06:22 AM
Yes, the SPI issue is most common with Lynksys Routers, specifically the newer versions, where you can't turn it off. We went through that phase of understanding the first few days of the install.

I use OptOnline/Cablevision personally as well and have found it to be amazing. The phone literally never disconnects. It probably helps that the badwidth of the recieving system is also coming from the same carrier.

I have a few more tests to do and then I will let you know if changing the FB11 setting to manual solves the problem.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Posted By: PTME Re: IP Phone Disconnection Issue - 02/21/09 09:42 AM
Ok ,well the verdict is in on this and as far as I can tell, changing the setting to Manual on FB11 seemed to have completely solved the issue.

I would assume you would want to make this change after the phone has been started up and is working at least once in its new location, otherwise you would need to manually enter in the inital ip address?

Thansk for a great solution.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help