atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: cix noob Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 05/29/09 09:20 AM
anyone know if they will work together yet?? i know emanager works with alot of vista. i think the only one it will NOT work with is basic. But i am holding out for windows 7 so i thought i'd ask if toshiba has said anything about windows 7.

Thanks in advance
Posted By: MacOSX Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 05/29/09 10:07 AM
I tried loading Windows 7 last week and had problems with the KEY that came with it - so I haven't troubleshot it any further. If you know of a working download for Windows 7 (since the MS site doesn't connect anymore), then I'd be happy to attempt it.
Posted By: Canuckvoip Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 05/29/09 02:59 PM
Windows 7 download...
https://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx

Dave
Posted By: MacOSX Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 05/31/09 10:04 PM
Got the Windows 7 downloaded and installed (Thanks Dave! :thumbs: - either my link or brain wasn't working :rolleyes: )

AND...

this is what I got on the NeMgr install, after the unpack of files...

"This version of Windows is not supported. The installation will abort."

[Linked Image from farm3.static.flickr.com]

:shrug:

We'll just have to wait and see!
Posted By: Canuckvoip Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 06/01/09 11:05 AM
Thanks for trying Tony,
Rats. I guess it shouldn't suprise me should it?
I am of the mind to try and avoid going to Vista and jump from XPpro to Windows 7.
Hmmm... On the other hand, I have read that Win 7 will ship with a version of XP in order to provide legacy support!!!
Maybe that will be the saviour?

Dave
I am using Network Emanager on Vista Ultimate without issues.

Just make sure you have enough horsepower under the hood so to speak with RAM with Vista. smile
Posted By: MacOSX Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 06/01/09 02:36 PM
Dave, no problem! Yes, no surprise... but to be fair, it is still a release candidate, not an active OS.

If your trying to avoid Vista... I would suggest trying W7 as well. It really isn't that different of a system structure. There are some really cool tweaks in GUI and window operation, but the file structure stays the same.

XP with 7 just proves how redundant, bloated and sad M$ OS's are!
smile

----

TadiranTechTexas, I have had nothing but great luck with NeMgr in Vista Ultimate - it runs smoother than XP, with comparable system specs... but we'll wait for a future "upgrade" to fix that
laugh
Posted By: MidnightEyes Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 06/10/09 12:42 PM
So I've searched all over the internet and always end up back at your boards and finally decided I'd register and share my exploits with windows 7 and eMGR

While I didn't recieve an error like the image you've posted (I am using Win7 RC build 7100) I have had some success with extracting the install files, running in compatibility mode install, I've used XPSP2&3 and Windows Server 2003 and both seem to work equally. However...

It will install the daylight savings patch just fine, then however when trying to install the C++ Redist I get an error, I'll post an image of that soon.

I'm thinking there has to be a workaround if we can all just put our heads together, because currently I'm eating up an extra XP license for the sake of a virtual machine with its soul purpose to run eManager for our company's phones.
Posted By: MidnightEyes Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 06/11/09 11:16 AM
[Linked Image from web2.twitpic.com]

This is what I get when running in compatibility mode, any ideas?
Posted By: MidnightEyes Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 06/11/09 11:45 AM
Bah, stupid twitpic, here is the image:

[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/11978397.png?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1244746701&Signature=afbKb%2F%2B7CAIr6vj1KJyCku3Laxo%3D[/img]
Posted By: MacOSX Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 06/11/09 05:43 PM
I can't view either image... and the second one gives me an "access denied" error. Maybe try hosting it at imageshack or similar.

:shrug:
Posted By: MidnightEyes Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 06/12/09 06:59 AM
[Linked Image from i3.photobucket.com]
that should work. Sorry apparently twitpic won't cut it, the images were there when I posted them however.

PS: Are you Seth Rogans twin?
Posted By: MacOSX Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 06/12/09 12:14 PM
I have never seen that error, ever. I will check around and get back about it... and no, I'm not. Guess I need to update that ol pic smile That was from the 2006 OSU/M*ch*g*n game, during Heiney Gate.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 06/22/09 07:43 PM
I can't wait for Toshiba to come to their senses and embed the stinkin web browser into the hardware. If a $29 Linksys router can do it, why are we forced to waste so much time installing emanager?

Dwight Jones
www.exordium.net
Posted By: MacOSX Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 06/23/09 03:51 AM
Dwight,

I agree that is is limited in its design, especially since it will only run on a handful of Microsoft OS's (XP Pro or Vista Super Duper Number One Best Ever Gold Member Level). The simple fact that it won't load on 7 is odd, since 7 is designed with the exact same file structure as Vista.

Now I know we're taking this topic down a side road now, but...

I would like to see it designed to operate on any common OS. Maybe design it around Adobe AIR ~ that way Mac, Linux, Windows, etc. could use it despite their OS.

OR

Embed it in the hardware, as you said Dwight. They could have it run on a Linux platform. A subassembly card of some sort, which draws power from the phone system and runs an embedded version of Linux or XP Embedded (if it must). Heck all you would need is a .5V USB connector and a flash drive with DSLinux on it... or even design a custom Linux distro! The easiest part about that is... you would just have to VPN into it and work away, no matter what system you are running locally - since every OS that is in public use today has a VPN package for it. Not to mention the advantages (direct $ cost savings!) of GPL vs M$L.

AND furthermore...

Yes, again Dwight is correct about SO MUCH time installing eManager. Little tweaks in the previous releases, were a HUGE waste of time. I admit the current V5.20B05 is very stable, but initially between WinAdmin and the first 5-ish versions of eManager/Network eManager... I wasted no less than 5 full business days (yes 40 man hours) installing, troubleshooting and tweaking, just to have an update fix the problems a month after I was done with forensic analysis. Keep in mind, this is in an office with 3 total laptops and 1 desktop computer.

----

sorry for the long post wink
/soapbpx
Posted By: Toshiba Bob Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 06/24/09 06:17 AM
Without mention was the need to uninstall a previous version and then reboot prior to installing the latest version of these programs. When it should have been as simple as running a update/upgrade to go to the latest which may not take the first time attempted.
...seems like a scripted program to actually do this would have been in order, one that when ran would uninstall the previous version and then reboot to install a newer version....you know like just about all other software on the market these days.

Been there, done that!
Posted By: sph Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 06/24/09 07:37 AM
I don't think the problem with porting eManager to other systems lies with the browser or the OS.
The browser is just a front-end to an SQL database.
The OS is just the host of the same SQL database.

The database system is Microsoft's SQL Server and it is one of their crown jewels. There is NO WAY (imo) that Microsoft will EVER port their SQL structures to any other host OS. They provide connectivity to SQL Server from/to other systems, yes. But that's how far it's gonna go.

You can question their decision to go with SQL Server, but I don't think there is anything to be gained by that. They know that business case better than any of us.
Posted By: sph Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 06/25/09 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Canuckvoip:
Hmmm... On the other hand, I have read that Win 7 will ship with a version of XP in order to provide legacy support!!!
Maybe that will be the saviour?

Dave
I think you're refering to this:

Windows XP Mode

This is a preloaded/preconfigured licence-free XP SP3 environment for Windows 7. The requirements:

1. Relatively recent processor
2. Windows Virtual PC installed (free from Microsoft)
3. About 20GB of free space total.

There is a similar software for Vista to run on Windows 7.

The logical thing to do is for Toshiba to port eManager to SQL Server 2008 which runs on Win 7. I assume this will happen.
Posted By: MacOSX Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 06/25/09 06:31 PM
Downloading now to try it, thanks for the info!
Posted By: jeffro7172 Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 08/10/09 03:42 PM
I got a little farther. I downloaded Win7 from Technet last week when it hit. This is the RTM version. As previous posters ran into it errors out right away with the non-supported OS. You can get around this with compatibility mode on the program (right click run as Vista SP1) Another hangup for me is I'm running 64-bit Enterprise so the SQL Express 2005 errors also. So what I did is got the correct installer, put it in the SQL Install folder and renamed the installer SQLExpr32 or whatever it is called by default. I got everything installed and am now to the point of where the login screen is not showing up with an asp error. I've been messing around with the IIS settings trying to get it to go. It seemed each step had it's own challenge and now it's so close!! I quit for today just because it was driving me insane. Basically if you don't trick the installer to have it do your SQL install, it won't load up the right db information for you and I'm still not positive that is where my issue is stemming from.
Posted By: jeffro7172 Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 08/10/09 03:47 PM
I also tried having the installer go on the built in XP Virtual Machine, but the VM uses almost like a NAT translation in it's networking, so it will surf the internet, but it won't see our internal network. I stopped messing with that after the first hiccup so it could very well go. Hardsetting the IP info didn't work so I quit on that pretty fast.
Posted By: MAXTEN Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 08/10/09 05:22 PM
Hello has anybody tryed to use network emanager on vista home primium os.

max
Posted By: Voyager Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 08/10/09 06:57 PM
Will not work on Vista Home
Posted By: jazzy112 Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 08/11/09 08:18 AM
Don't expect proper W7 support anytime soon, I had a whole thread on Tech Talk regarding the issue and today I discovered that they deleted it.

Windows 7, while it looks like Vista, is not Vista. It blows away XP in the performace category, so much so that I put it on my 8 year old AMD XP 1800 machine and the only thing I had to do was pick up an Nvidia graphics card. I run like 750MB of RAM on this machine.

Virtual PC is slow and painful, only use it as a last resort if you can't get yourself a corporate or otherwise properly licensed copy of XP.

VM Ware is the king of the crop, but costs 200 dollars/ I just changed out the HDD in my laptop to a 7200 RPM Western Digital Scorpio Black and am now using Sun's Virutal Box with XP SP2. You have to change the network setting from "NAT" to "Bridged" in order to get NEM to work properly, also don't use the latest build of NEM because it doesn't do a fresh install properly. I have found that 520A08B is the best one for a fresh install so far. You also have to completely disable the firewalls in both the Host OS and the Guest OS to make it work properly.
Posted By: jazzy112 Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 08/11/09 08:20 AM
If you do VM's, put 4 GB of ram in your Laptop and allocate 1GB to the VM. I have found no significant performance problems with Virtual Box or VM Ware Workstation using this method.
Posted By: jeffro7172 Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 08/11/09 10:57 AM
my workaround was that I have a bunch of other servers doing other things, so I put network emanager on a 2003 R2 server, published internal DNS to point to it and just use a web browser on the W7 box. For those with only one machine, this isn't much of an option. I also don't know how much the fact that my W7 is 64-bit came into play, but the web page is a lot snappier than emanager used to be on the local machine so I don't even care. Good luck to everyone trying to get it to work on W7!
Posted By: jeffro7172 Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 08/11/09 10:59 AM
also my previous posts on trying to install NETWORK emanager were incorrect. That is when I was trying to install emanager v5.10a07. I tried network emanager this morning and ran into problems with that one also (also running in compatibility mode)
Posted By: red_ron Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 08/11/09 03:03 PM
The problem is with the NeMan installer. When the setup is launched and the installer begins, it looks for the OS installed, if the supported OS is installed, the installation goes forward, if it is not supported you will get the error MacOSX posted.
Toshiba will need to and W7 to the installer package before NeMan will successfully install and work properly. I don't see this happening for while...Is you face turning blue yet?
Posted By: pkley Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 08/21/09 11:35 AM
Hmm, I just tried installing the current NEM on my RC x64 box and didn't have any install issues I recall (which I absolutely had on the beta). I even tested it via a basic windows VPN to a customer. The one thing I did not test was dial-up since I don't have a modem in my home PC, but it gave me enough hope that I seriously was thinking about redoing my laptop to 7 until I read this thread...
Any updates to this?
Posted By: Canuckvoip Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 12/03/09 10:00 PM
We now have a couple of W7 (Pro only) laps with Network Eman running.
MUST download XP blade and run under that.
Posted By: MacOSX Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 04/23/10 09:26 AM
There is now a Windows 7 32 bit Network eManager available
Posted By: blazinbear82 Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 05/23/10 12:11 AM
Hey MACOSX i need your assitance or anyone elses assitance on this... I have windows 7 32 bit and the installer works. it does the whole setup i have all windows components installed iss snmp c++ . clean windows 7 install.. ummm sqlexpress2005 i can login to the localhost/emanger and look at the login page.. the proble however is that during the install the part where it ask to type a password in never comes up. so its worthless i cannot connect... i need some help if anyone knows
Posted By: blazinbear82 Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 05/23/10 12:18 AM
i should mention its ultimate..
Posted By: blazinbear82 Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 05/23/10 02:05 PM
damn it ... nevermind i got it after playing with it for quite sometime... seems my installation had gone just fine... apperantly network emanager 5.20 dosent give you a choise for username and password..
Posted By: blazinbear82 Re: Network Emanager with Windows 7 ?? - 05/23/10 02:06 PM
ooops can someone delete my last post please... anyway i got it now.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help