atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Canuckvoip Connect CIX to Mitel 3300 via SIP trunks? - 08/08/09 05:18 PM
Hi all,
Has anyone out there successfully connected a CIX/MIPU to a MItel 3300?
I've been told that you can't do that (and that bugs me). :>)
Faded memory makes me think I saw someone on this board that did it (no details).
Anyone done it to any other PBX?

TIA!

Dave
Toshiba SIP trunking was never designed to be used to tie 2 systems, but rather it was designed to be used as a trunk.

That being said, I saw someone recently post about connecting 2 systems together using SIP trunks. Not sure if they posted details and I don't remember what the other system was. Maybe a search of this board will turn up something.
Posted By: MacOSX Re: Connect CIX to Mitel 3300 via SIP trunks? - 08/09/09 06:01 AM
I am going through a similar search for answers right now. We have a customer that wants to connect their CIX to a Samsung via SIP Peering mode. Toshiba tech support said they will not support the connection to another system. They didn't say it would or would not work, but from the info p2ii gave me - it should be feasible. From what I've read it sounds like a Tie E&M over the public internet... but I am still operating on theory without any practical experience.

I will keep you updated as I read and learn more!
Looks like "mrfixitcts" may have done this and I have sent him an email...

Dave
Originally posted by newtecky:
Toshiba SIP trunking was never designed to be used to tie 2 systems, but rather it was designed to be used as a trunk.

Actually Toshiba is working on Inter operation with other pbx systems through sip trunking. first line of toshibas inter-operation guide
"Sip Trunking can be used to pass calls directly between a Strata Cix system and other vendors IP pbx systems"

Canuckvoip & MacOSX if you go to the beta site there is an inter operation guide to connect to a Cisco uc520,It may have some useful info,
they are working on inter operation with other pbx systems as well...
Thanks telecom1,
Thanks for the validation.
I thought so but I don't think our Canadian website has that beta info.
Will investigate further...

Dave
Posted By: MacOSX Re: Connect CIX to Mitel 3300 via SIP trunks? - 08/12/09 01:29 AM
Originally posted by www.telcom1.net:
Originally posted by newtecky:
[b] Toshiba SIP trunking was never designed to be used to tie 2 systems, but rather it was designed to be used as a trunk.

Actually Toshiba is working on Inter operation with other pbx systems through sip trunking. first line of toshibas inter-operation guide
"Sip Trunking can be used to pass calls directly between a Strata Cix system and other vendors IP pbx systems"

Canuckvoip & MacOSX if you go to the beta site there is an inter operation guide to connect to a Cisco uc520,It may have some useful info,
they are working on inter operation with other pbx systems as well... [/b]
Thanks, I have the IB-0004 sheet already and have read through it. I agree that it should already be possible to do this with any other system that has SIP capability - the hardware, software and protocols are already there. I was merely informing others that I took the tech support route and Toshiba will not officially support it, although I am am sure it can be done... now it's dealing with the devil of the details.

Canuckvoip : e-mail sent.
Thanks Tony,
Armed with that info (excellent thank you) another tech and I will spend time Wed Aug 19th and do it.
I expect good results...

Dave
Posted By: p2ii Re: Connect CIX to Mitel 3300 via SIP trunks? - 08/13/09 06:19 PM
Good luck. Let us know how it goes and the tricks etc...
OK you guys seem to be on the bleeding edge of this. I posted in the Mitel forum about doing this between a Mitel 5000 and a several Cisco Call Manager systems. I know very little of the Cisco systems. From what I am reading here, it seems that SIP Trunk to trunk connecting of systems is on the horizon, but not "Officially" sanctioned. Is that pretty much it?
Posted By: MacOSX Re: Connect CIX to Mitel 3300 via SIP trunks? - 08/18/09 12:09 PM
Ed, that's what I've gathered from the Toshiba end.
Rats... Had to delay the experiment.
Customers come first! :>)
Will try again tomorrow or early next week...
Sorry.
I spoke with my contacts at Toshiba yesterday about this, their comments was that there is already a solution to this (StrataNet/QSIG)and at this point and time, they are not going forward with R&D on this.
The other end of the spectrum would be support, Tech Supports position would be that they will help with base programming of the SIP Trk, but from there you are on your own. Hope it works out for you guys, if it does, please post your detailed notes. If the data is creditable, maybe we can get a Sticky on this.
Posted By: p2ii Re: Connect CIX to Mitel 3300 via SIP trunks? - 08/22/09 01:29 PM
Ron, I agree that the QSIG option is already out there. But, SIP seems to be they way that alot of manufacturers are heading with interconnection. Not putting any focus on SIP as another method is short-sighted. Although I do applaude them for their Cisco interopt white paper. IMO...
Sure, I agree. However Toshiba falls a little short when it comes to Leading in Telephony Technologies, as we can see here.
My comment was on my conversation with my contacts there, I'm just the messenger...
Posted By: p2ii Re: Connect CIX to Mitel 3300 via SIP trunks? - 08/26/09 02:17 PM
Not blaming you Ron, just typing out loud...btw are you the Ron from Toshiba Tech Support?
Posted By: Dwight Re: Connect CIX to Mitel 3300 via SIP trunks? - 08/28/09 05:54 PM
Just try connecting the two systems and see what happens!
I recommend putting them on the same LAN so there is no routing/NAT issues. Then use a hub or switch that allows IP packets to be mirrored to a PC running Wireshark. By trying different combinations of settings and watching for the results, I have been able to use almost any SIP phone or SIP Trunk. However, I have not tried to QSIG or Tie Line a system - yet.
Good Luck,

Dwight Jones
Exordium Consulting, LLC
www.exordium.net
Posted By: MacOSX Re: Connect CIX to Mitel 3300 via SIP trunks? - 08/28/09 06:53 PM
Dwight, that's a great idea and I would love to try it that way in my situation, but the Samsung is in Australia and the CIX and myself are in Ohio. Also, to mention the boss' won't go any further without Toshiba officially supporting it. That means they won't purchase the SIP card so I can test.
I have an Asterisk and A toshiba talking to eachother using Qsig PRI. Now the only problem I have is to make the Asterisk dial to the outsideworld using CIX's trunks.

Any Ideas or suggestions?

Toshiba will not sell you a SIP license if you tell them you are using it to tie two systems together, they only support AT$T's SIP trunking, this is as of last month.
Hi all,
Well... Success! (to a degree)...
Sorry it took as long as it did. Can't post the details yet (and don't want to give it to competitors).
Just finished today.
Calling desk-desk works both ways.
Calling from Mitel to Toshiba shows the Mitel ext num and name.
Calling from Tosh to Mitel doesn't show ext/name but may have to play with URI some more.
Tosh can dial out of the Mitel trunks.
Mitel cannot use Tosh trunks.
Cannot use centralized vmail or any other "Qsig" type apps. Really only good for desk-desk calling (for now).
BUT IT WORKS!

Thanks to Tony for getting me the info to start with!
Thanks to all.
BTW, CIX running MT025
MIPU01_14DA200
Will try after upgrading firmware on MIPU...

Dave
Posted By: p2ii Re: Connect CIX to Mitel 3300 via SIP trunks? - 09/23/09 05:44 PM
Based on the interop pdf it is unclear if dialing out on the CIX using the other system(in this case Cisco) is supported. here's one of the lines from the interop feature list:
Station CO Line Access
Strata CIX No

But on another line it says the following:
Least Cost Routing
Strata CIX Under investigation
Cisco UC520-16 Under investigation

and also this:
Outgoing Call
Strata CIX Yes
Cisco UC520-16 Yes
Posted By: p2ii Re: Connect CIX to Mitel 3300 via SIP trunks? - 09/23/09 05:45 PM
Clear as mud I say.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help