atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Eric B. questions about fiber - 04/13/16 08:27 PM
AT&T wants to switch us to fiber and is making a very attractive offer, so I'm trying to wrap my head around it. Their sales guy said it includes an analog handoff, so everything will continue to work fine with our equipment.

I'm going to consult with our phone guys that maintains our CIX, but I wanted to get a bit of unbiased information from the group here if possible.

Given our current system, fiber + handoff seems like the obvious choice. I assume it will be seamless from the CIX side. But is there another option we should consider given the capabilities (or lack thereof!) of our existing hardware? Can we expect similar voice quality to our current copper lines?

Equipment Type: CIX670 : B--U
Equipment Version: AR2.21 MH116.00

Posted By: phonemeister Re: questions about fiber - 04/13/16 09:46 PM
I would suggest maybe going with a PRI hand-off.
Posted By: newtecky Re: questions about fiber - 04/14/16 12:41 AM
Faxing can be a little less reliable over these type of lines then with POTS. If faxing is important, or if you send or receive large fax documents I would look into leaving 1 line as POTS (if possible), or look at an e-fax solutions.

As mentioned, PRI is a better hand-off to the CIX. I also like SIP trunks over analog, but that will require some upgrading of your equipment, and ATT may not even offer this.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help