atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: KLD Vodavi Xcelerator - 04/03/07 07:41 PM
Anyone done one?

Pros or Cons?

:shrug:
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: Vodavi Xcelerator - 04/03/07 07:49 PM
Still waiting for one to appear. Scarce as the great white buffalo. I believe it will be labeled Vertical Xcelerator. Supposed to have one by the end of the month.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Vodavi Xcelerator - 04/04/07 10:01 AM
I just had an employee visit their local road show here yesterday. It's a glorified wireless router. It will support 3 lines and up to 24 stations. There will be added line capacity at a later date. It includes a VERY limited built-in voice mail, but it really can't be called voice mail. It's more of a basic auto attendant. There is only one phone model right now. All programming must be done using a web interface (limited phone programming; no system programming via phone). Four digit dialing is available, but it does not network with other systems. SIP trunking will be available.

It's really a Vertical product. Vodavi doesn't appear to have been involved with the development of the product at all. Despite the projected capacity, Vodavi expects it to entertain the 8-10 station market max.

With a base price of nearly twice the price of an STSe KSU, it's going to be a hard sell. It's going to likely be the solution for that small customer that absolutely positively insists upon having a VOIP system.
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: Vodavi Xcelerator - 04/04/07 12:25 PM
Originally posted by ev607797:
It's really a Vertical product. Vodavi doesn't appear to have been involved with the development of the product at all.
Correct me if I'm wrong but, didn't Vodavi start this project with TCom before the Vertical buyout? The unit I saw in January was actually branded Vodavi and so was the box. However, they said that it would be labeled Vertical when it was released.

I'm really not excited about the product and doubt that we'll try to sell it. But, I'll wait until Ed does some testing and posts his reviews.

-Larry
Posted By: Ironhedz Re: Vodavi Xcelerator - 04/06/07 07:06 PM
Sounds just like the telenium - with the flash VM
Posted By: STS E Re: Vodavi Xcelerator - 04/08/07 10:53 AM
Larry

Yes the project was started by Vodavi, and the available is now set for the end of April.

Have one on order to play with at office.
May never proposal one, but just in case.
It will be a toy for the office.
Posted By: M&NComm Re: Vodavi Xcelerator - 05/04/07 09:11 PM
Sounds like a single point of failure to me.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Vodavi Xcelerator - 05/04/07 10:10 PM
I just got one in today for us to check out along with two phones. No doubt, it's a single point of failure for sure, but hey I am willing to give it a shot. It's so inexpensive that I don't see how in the world we are going to be able to make any money selling it. I took the day off today, so I haven't gotten my hands on it yet. I check it out on Monday and let you all know.

Customers are demanding access to the latest and greatest technologies, the manufacturers are responding with budget-priced systems, yet they are requiring certifications to sell them. There will always be some yokel out there selling these things at or below cost thinking they will make money on volume. It's also not a dealer-restricted product, so e-bay and other Internet sites will surely be flooded with them within a week. I just don't see something so small being profit-making.
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Vodavi Xcelerator - 05/05/07 04:08 AM
I'm thinking the starter kit....Dunno. I brought in the Venture IP when it was intro'ed and I never did anything with it. That system seems to have faded from the marketplace.

Just the same, I'll probably grab a system for fun....Something else to clutter my warehouse or desk if I like it.

Carl

(edited for price)
Posted By: KLD Re: Vodavi Xcelerator - 05/05/07 06:03 AM
I got my notice this week from King Tech that they are selling it ---- along with all the other Comdial stuff.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Vodavi Xcelerator - 05/07/07 10:36 AM
Well, I gave mine a test run. In a word, it's OK. Here are some of my observations:

It's going to need to have a POE switch connected between it and the phones unless you want to use the power adapter for the phones (included). By the time you add a POE switch for this purpose, it's not going to be an "inexpensive" system.

I was a little disappointed to see that the feature codes are completely different from the STSe, XTS and Telenium. That's one of the reasons that I always have reservations about taking on new products because that's just something else that the office staff will have to learn to operate and support.

For a 3-line, 4-station system, it truly is plug and play. Beyond that, you really need to have a strong knowledge of IP to do any kind of programming. There's definitely no system programming from a set available. Then again, the features are fairly limited so I don't see it being terribly complicated to learn.

The phones are fairly sturdy and have a pretty nice interactive display and navigation keyset. For a small customer who absolutely, positively must have a pure IP system, this seems to fit the bill. It appears that the final cost will end up being about double what and STSe system of comparable size would be.
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Vodavi Xcelerator - 05/07/07 07:32 PM
Ed, it didn't start as an inexpensive system, so adding an FS108P didn't put the bar thru the roof....

Just O.K. is not encouraging. What about AA and voice quality? Do you have Interview or Instruction boxes? Does it do Unified messaging well, or at all?

Inquiring minds want to know before we take the plunge.

Carl
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: Vodavi Xcelerator - 05/07/07 07:48 PM
I think when the factory was touting it as a low cost IP solution they were assuming all small shops would use the power brick on the sets and not a POE switch. It is very limited in what it will do. As Ed says a small 3X4-6 man shop requiring pure IP will find some benefit. SOHOs will probably also like the platform. Still I don't see the 3 X 24 solution. SIP trunking is available but it's not something your run of the mill small shop is going to implement. The voice mail to email is nice in the low end. 4 hours voice mail is OK but not ideal. Jury is still out.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Vodavi Xcelerator - 05/07/07 09:10 PM
Agreed. Carl, the voice quality is comparable to the STSe in-skin flash voice mail, which isn't bad. It operates almost exactly the same except that it's ext. 200 instead of 440 by default. When I went through the manual today, there were quite a few mentions of the 240 minute storage limit. There's really no way to connect an external voice mail to it.

Now if space in the closet is an issue, this is your solution. The "KSU" being smaller than a phone book means you can put it just about anywhere. Other advantages are using remote switches on a single cable run to reach distant locations is obviously something to consider. The phones are sturdy and attractive. If you have ever programmed a router, programming on this system follows the identical procedure.

Overall, it's really not bad and that's not what I meant to imply. I think that it has it's place out there, but until SIP trunking becomes more widespread, I am a bit nervous about selling a 3 line system. I can't tell you how many Panasonic 308's I had to change out for "just one more line" and the customers usually weren't very happy.

When/if this system can expand beyond three POTS lines (I have been told that it may reach six lines), I won't have a single problem with selling it. So far, I think it's pretty good for someone who insists on an IP system, but the STSe is a much more feature-rich and expandable system. I like it a lot and I believe that it works. We are going to start in-house training on it next week, so maybe once we navigate the programming, I'll have a better outlook.
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: Vodavi Xcelerator - 05/07/07 09:26 PM
Ed....

"When/if this system can expand beyond three POTS lines (I have been told that it may reach six lines)"

I was told that there was an expansion module in development several months ago. Let's hope for the best.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Vodavi Xcelerator - 05/07/07 09:55 PM
Yeah, Dave I heard the same thing. Last I heard was that it's due to come out 4th quarter of this year, but nothing definitive.
Posted By: STS E Re: Vodavi Xcelerator - 05/08/07 04:31 AM
Ed

Nice reveiw, ive not got to play with my unit as of yet.

It may come along , just have to see when expansion module is ready.

A 3 port system for analog is a little risk at present, but when SIP comes ready for rural areas
and people want, well i guess a guy will have to
sell em something on this line.
(long live the sts e ).
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Vodavi Xcelerator - 05/08/07 05:58 AM
Aastra just released, or is close to, the 5i Sip phones. They had a price increase, but my original Venture IP had a 4 port gateway, an FS108P switch, and 3 480i phones for the same money as the Xcelerator.

Maybe it's time to revisit the product line.

Carl
Posted By: adteldon Re: Vodavi Xcelerator - 05/09/07 03:54 PM
Well I just got my unit today with two phones............................................................................................................I'm not excited. The positives for me are : Inexpensive, built-in vm, easy to set up with the web browser, wireless router.

The negatives : 3 pots lines , auto attendant sound quality seems just below the inskin flash ( to me ), No dial actions available !, The phones look like something from Radio Shack, c.o. forwarding timer has to be 10, 20, 30, seconds ect; caller id only shows number, without poe you have to use a power cord, And the most negative thing of all is that I called Vertical to ask a couple of simple questions and they only have 2 guys that have a good knowlege of the product. Everyone else had half a days training and didn't cover the vm.

I don't think I can sell this product very easily, atleast until you can have more than 3 pots lines. Maybe I'm jumping the gun here , but I'm not as happy as I thought I would be with this product. I can assume the Wave product is much better, but for now I will stick with XTS-IP / STSe. Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: oobie Re: Vodavi Xcelerator - 05/10/07 07:26 AM
One thing to keep in mind with the VM is to setup the Unified Messaging portion of it. Then you can store as many messages that you would like(Save them to your PC or Server). I have set this up and it works well and the storage capacity as well as the length of days(7) that a message will be stored is a good reason to set it up. But the VM definetly needs some tweaking. Overall I would have to agree that it is geared toward the smaller end of the spectrum. There are lots of little things that i personally think need to be looked at. I will also tell that the Fax recognitions works great, i did have an issue with it at first but had to change some settings on the Fax machine itself to make it work correctly. The Power Fail to the FXS port(analog port) works as well.If any of you have questions let me know i would be glad to assist.
Posted By: JWRacedog Re: Vodavi Xcelerator - 05/11/07 06:55 AM
"I don't think I can sell this product very easily, atleast until you can have more than 3 pots lines."

I was under the impression that the 3 POTS lines were only if/when the 8 SIP Trunks/internet connection was having problems. Or is that not correct??
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: Vodavi Xcelerator - 05/11/07 07:11 AM
It's 3 POTs lines for non SIP applications. So you could install a 3X24 setup if you were so inclined. Why I would have no clue. :shrug:
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help