atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: jtswanny Jitter on IP7024d xts system - 07/13/07 11:44 AM
I have a Vodavi XTS and w wireless back haul to external location. 25-50 mbs at any time, but I still have a jitter or packet loss on the IP phones at that location. Where should I start, the line looks good, but there could be a latency issue, avg 90ms on 100 pings. The wireless is bridged, I read somewhere that there is a latency setting to wait longer to avoid this, but am unable to find any vodavi info.....if I bring the Voip phones to the main office, they work great. Please where can I start.....Thanks in advance frown
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: Jitter on IP7024d xts system - 07/13/07 12:46 PM
90ms on a private network is very slow. For example, I can ping yahoo.com over a DSL connection, across the country, on the public internet and get a average 92ms response time.

There is a good chance you are have latency issues. If you have an average of 90ms, that may mean you have one packet at 40ms and another at 140ms. You must stay under 120ms for the VoIP to work reliably. And, if that latency is swinging back and forth, then you'll also have the jitter issue.

You need to find out why you have such a high response time. Also, you may want to consider a routed solution verses your bridged solution. That may eliminate a lot of unnecessary data going over the wireless. Also, if you have some decent routers, you can implement some Quality of Service for the VoIP.

You can change the codec's on the XTS which can lower your bandwidth needs. However, if you have latency and/or jitter issues you'll still have problems with your VoIP.
Posted By: jtswanny Re: Jitter on IP7024d xts system - 07/13/07 01:07 PM
Thanks a alot for confirming......I am installing new cards on the wireless, better connections and higher processors, and enabling some QoS on the routers....just making sure I was heading the right direciton....I will let you know the outcome.
Posted By: jtswanny Re: Jitter on IP7024d xts system - 07/24/07 08:45 AM
Thanks for the help. Thought I should post to let know the status. The high latency was a frequency conflict with other systems in the area. Changed frequency on wireless and working great....... smile
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: Jitter on IP7024d xts system - 07/24/07 09:54 AM
Thanks for the update! I'm glad you found an easy/cheap fix. :thumb:
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help