atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: stevekal Starplus STS is it a good system - 09/05/07 06:40 PM
Hi,

I provide computer support for a restaurant; they need a new phone system. I called the phone company they have been using for several years, and requested a quote on a "basic phone system".

The requirements are that it support 4 external lines, 6-8 handsets, include voicemail, be a "basic" (not too expensive) system, and have relatively durable handsets.

They recommended the Starplus STS.

Will this system work well for several years, and is this a commonly supported system? Anything I should be aware of regarding it? Are there any other systems in its price range, or slightly higher, that I should consider instead or in addition to?
thank you very much!
Posted By: MacGyver Re: Starplus STS is it a good system - 09/05/07 07:09 PM
Welcome back Steve.

My company doesn't sell the Vodavi so I don't have a dog in the fight so to speak, but I can tell you that if we move to another system for installations that size, Vodavi will most likely be our choice. In my opinion it's a very good system and will server your client well. It's too bad you're not a little farther south. We have a moderator in the DC area who is a Vodavi guru.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Starplus STS is it a good system - 09/05/07 08:05 PM
Thanks for the intro, MacGyver. We have approximately 380 of these systems installed in the Virginia, DC and Maryland areas. We have had about five of the main control units fail in three years, most due to flooding or lightning. Yes, in a restaurant environment, phones are going to fail due to abuse. The good thing is that the phones for the STSe systems are inexpensive by industry standards to replace.

Of course the system has a five-year factory warranty on everything but the voice mail. Your installing company might not extend this to you for the entire factory warranty period, but you always have the option of sending broken components to Vodavi's repair facility on your own. They are located in Connecticut, so turnaround time to your location will be faster if ever needed.

There are also members here who can provide rapid repair turnaround on items that might be out of warranty. They too are in your same geographical region. Vodavi's parent company, Vertical Communications, is headquartered in Cambridge, MA. All in all, I think that an investment in a Vodavi product will prove to be relatively safe to say the least.

As we tend to say here time and time again: The important decision-making factor is the installing company. You are entering into a long-term relationship with them. If you find that there's something about them that concerns you, by all means be up-front about it. Ask for references and CALL THEM. Make sure that the installing company is properly licensed and insured. If you can, arrange to visit one of their reference sites and see how neat their workmanship is. Ask the reference a few questions. You need to protect your investment for years to come.

Vodavi maintains a network of authorized dealers nationwide in the event that you find that the original installing company has let you down. They will gladly put you in touch with other dealers in your area if needed.

In a nutshell, the product has served our company and customers well. There are many systems out there that are comparably-priced, so keep in mind that the working relationship with the installer is by far the most important part of a satisfactory transaction.

You've certainly come to the right place for questions such as yours. There's also plenty of archived and FAQ information available that will help you keep your system running smoothly.
Posted By: STS E Re: Starplus STS is it a good system - 09/06/07 04:28 PM
Ditto to Ed"s comments.

Ive installed 67 systems in the past three years.

The 24btn keyset model number 3516-71 is a blue back lit display key set which would go very well in a restaurant environment.

Matter of fact i only sell the 3516-71 lighted display keysets as i feel it has a professional appearance to the display, making it very easy to read in dim lit area.

Your friend would be very please with that setup smile
Posted By: stevekal Re: Starplus STS is it a good system - 09/07/07 05:50 PM
thank you all very much for your advice! I appreciate it.
Posted By: tampasteve Re: Starplus STS is it a good system - 09/10/07 07:14 AM
We have several Vodavi's installed in restaurants (The XTSc though). They love them. We work on a Norstar in one restaurant...they always complain that it is too quiet of a handset, even with an amp; this was a requirement for the Vodavi, I did a demo while the restaurant was still under contruction and they loved it because they could hear the phone even with the drills and other equipment going. That chain also has NEC and Winn systems installed and they are not happy with those; I am not knocking those systems, but in a restaurant these have proven great, at least in our experience.

Steve
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help