atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: dwflood MPBE networking - 11/13/08 08:36 PM
I'm adding a combo T1/PRI to an MPBE with 4 cabinets to support networking of another XTS at a new remote office. I'm told by Vodavi that only cabinets 0 and 1 will support a PRI card. Can anyone verify this is true? I really wanted to install the new PRI card in cabinet 3 (4th cabinet) as there are plenty of timeslots available.
Posted By: cswroe Re: MPBE networking - 11/13/08 11:24 PM
I generally try to keep my PRI's in one cabinet just so I don't have to use the clocking cables. As far as using cabinet 0 and 1 only, there is a diagram in the install manual that shows a PRI in cab 2 under how to run clocking cables. I think they might be concerned that clocking will not carry through the SCSI connection to cabinets 3-5.

The only restriction that I know as far as card placement in a particular cabinet is with the VIOP cards.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: MPBE networking - 11/14/08 07:31 AM
Cabinets 0, 1 and 2 will support a PRI, but I've found out the hard way that cabinets 3 and above will not.
Posted By: dwflood Re: MPBE networking - 11/15/08 03:58 PM
Ok, I'll put the T1/PRI combo card in shelf 2.

The documentation is confusing at best. What I have is two PRIBs in Shelf 0. One PRIB in Shelf 1 and am now adding a T1/PRI combo in Shelf 2 for networking.

The existing PRIB cards are configured as this...

Shelf 0 has two PRIB to the Telco and Shelf 1 has one PRIB to the Telco. The clock switch on all three are set to on (up). The clocking cables are connected as follows - 1st PRIB to Second PRIB. Second PRIB to Shelf 0 LMU1. Third PRIB clock cable to Shelf 1 LMU2.

Am I correct to connect Shelf 1 LMU2 clock out to Shelf 2 LMU1 clock in. Then connect the new T1/PRI combo to Shelf 2 LMU with clock switch on? off?

At the remote XTS should clock switch be on or off?
Posted By: cswroe Re: MPBE networking - 11/15/08 04:51 PM
If you are networking a site, is this additional card for a point-to-point circuit? If so, it will not require a clocking cable, main site will have clocking disabled on the card, remote site will have it enabled.
Posted By: dwflood Re: MPBE networking - 11/15/08 05:06 PM
Yes, Telco has provided a point-to-point T1 between the buildings.

So, do you recommend I leave the clock switch off and omit the clock cable on the new T1/PRI combo card in the 'hub' and just enable the clock switch on the remote T1/PRI combo card?
Posted By: cswroe Re: MPBE networking - 11/15/08 05:29 PM
Point-to-point circuits never need a clock cable, this is per manual and Vodavi.

When you network sites, the hub card always has the clocking switch off, the remote site card will always be on. The only exception is when a remote site has a PRI and the main site does not, then the switches would be reversed.

Just curious, how far apart are the buildings? Do they have a data network between them? Also, will they be having a lot of calls between the buildings? You will max out at 23 calls simultaneous between facilities.
Posted By: dwflood Re: MPBE networking - 11/16/08 06:38 AM
Buildings are few miles apart. Separate p-to-p T1 for data. 23 channels should be ok. Only other trunks in remote switch are POTS.
Posted By: cswroe Re: MPBE networking - 11/16/08 02:21 PM
Great, you should be good to go then. Being only a few miles, the monthly cost for an additional T1 is pretty minimal, otherwise VOIP between sites would have been a good option too.
Posted By: cswroe Re: MPBE networking - 11/16/08 02:21 PM
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help