atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: AnglersMark STS relay for door lock - 01/25/10 02:26 PM
I have a STS installed at a church and they want to have the door box feature along with being able to unlock the door from the phone. I've done the door box's but never the door lock/relay. The alarm guy says he can install the lock but I would need to provide the interface to the phone system. I see there is a "free relay" on the CO board, last pair; I also see there is a programmable feature for a "relay" (Sta, CO, Ext page) Are they the same? Is that what I would interface with? How does the staff person access the relay? Thanks for any input.
Posted By: oobie Re: STS relay for door lock - 01/26/10 01:11 PM
Use a relay assign it to a CO port and assigne that CO to a button then when you push that CO button it will trip the relay and open the lock. I assume that the alarm guy is going to give you NO or NC circuit to connect to!
Posted By: Derrick Re: STS relay for door lock - 01/26/10 01:20 PM
If you are using the relay as a door opener you don't don't have to assign it to a co port. You program the relay as a door opener and assign a button on each phone with code 665. The button becomes a toggle..push once to unlock and once to lock. The button light will be on when the relay is closed. The alarm guy will need to tell you what kind of relay the lock uses normally closed or normally open. Denpending on the relay the light on the phone could be on when the door is locked or when the door is unlocked.
Posted By: AnglersMark Re: STS relay for door lock - 01/26/10 01:54 PM
Thank you both for your input. It's greatly appreciated.
Posted By: AnglersMark Re: STS relay for door lock - 02/09/10 07:02 PM
Ok, fellas. I installed a door box, patched an extension, the system automatically ID'd it as a door box, and put a call coverage button on two phones.

Terminated a pair on the "free Relay", last pair of the CO cable and patched it to the door. Programmed FLASH 14 with the value of (5), per Vertical Tech.(When I enter a (5) and hold, I get a confirmation tone, but the screen still says "none"). The door lock is not installed yet, so I put a continuity tester on the pair an dialed 665, nothing. I assumed that if the relay was working I would get a sign of continuity if the relay "closed". My gut feeling is that the FLASH 14 program is not working. Any Thoughts? Thanks.
Posted By: oobie Re: STS relay for door lock - 02/10/10 05:19 AM
I've always used a CO port so I'm not sure about the 665 codes.

If you use a co port it get wired a little differently then a striaght cross connect. You basically complete the circuit through the CO port and to the relay so when you touch a Programmed button for that CO it trips the relay.
Posted By: Derrick Re: STS relay for door lock - 02/10/10 10:17 AM
It this system an STSE or an STS? Only the E has option 5 for door opener. If it is a regular STS you will need to use a co port.
Posted By: AnglersMark Re: STS relay for door lock - 02/10/10 11:19 AM
The KSU part number was a 3500-00, vers 1.02 Thanks
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: STS relay for door lock - 02/10/10 11:46 AM
The 3500 was the STS. The STSe is 3501.
Posted By: JOHNYREB Re: STS relay for door lock - 02/10/10 02:16 PM
I recently installed the same setup on an older STS the other day. Check your software version then give tech support a call. You will have to have the latest firmware in the STS to use the relay. Forgive me but I do not remember off hand which it is, tech support sent me the required chips free of charge. After updating the firmware, I programmed the relay to follow an an unused CO port and it worked like a charm.

edit.....As an after thought, I belive the firmware upgrade was to accomodate the newer style door box, not the relay.
Posted By: Derrick Re: STS relay for door lock - 02/10/10 03:19 PM
I am pretty sure if you program the realy for co line control (option 4 plus co line number), that when the line is in use the relay closes, so the relay is normally open.
Posted By: AnglersMark Re: STS relay for door lock - 02/15/10 06:40 AM
Thanks guys.
Posted By: draynor Re: STS relay for door lock - 02/18/10 08:39 PM
I think that AnglersMark was trying to use the (free relay) 25th pair to work the door opener. I've been told that relay does not exist. The regular relay port would work for the opener.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help