atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: pilgrimtel SBX satisfaction - 03/23/10 03:44 PM
I've lost a dealership status on another IP product due to sales quota issues and I'm considering taking on the SBX IP320 system. It seems to fit my typical customer's profile and price. What is the consensus from my telecom compadres about the SBX? What are the negatives and is there something better?
Posted By: pilgrimtel Re: SBX satisfaction - 03/23/10 03:46 PM
Also Vertical shares today are at .0085 cents per share. Is Vertical going to survive?
Posted By: cswroe Re: SBX satisfaction - 03/23/10 04:43 PM
Actually, we just recently (Within the past two weeks) switched to the NEC DSX. We have done two sites and have gone well. Starts at 4 lines 8 stations for the DSX40 and maxes out at 96 stations and 64 lines for the DSX120. The only feature I miss is SIP capability, but have been told to expect it before the year is out. This system can not be networked (for now) at this point either, but we really do not have any networked SBXIP systems out there anyway.

It just filled a niche for us and has worked VERY well, much better that I expected. Having to stock a single type phone for small/medium systems took me back to better days with Vodavi.

We still have several SBX systems out there, and I do enjoy them, just have been soured the last year or so and NEC was able to help ease that pain a bit.

EDIT: Just saw you sell DSX, so I was preaching to the choir, but maybe someone else will find this helpful.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: SBX satisfaction - 03/23/10 04:52 PM
Keep in mind that this and most other Vodavi products are manufactured by LG. The LG folks aren't going out of business anytime soon. LG has been marketing the SBX platform worldwide for years.

I and most will agree that when Vertical introduced the SBX a couple of years ago in the US market, it truly wasn't ready for prime time. After several major improvements to adapt to the US market, it is getting close.

Most issues have been with the limitations of the voice mail component. For the price, it is supposedly doing very well with the recent enhancements. It certainly isn't the greatest, but in that price range, you can't expect too much.

As for Vertical's survival, I wouldn't fret. The fact that the product is being manufactured by LG is a good thing. I think you'll be OK.
Posted By: pilgrimtel Re: SBX satisfaction - 03/23/10 04:57 PM
I've been using NEC DS and DSX for about 7 years and they are really nice. It pains me to thing about having to learn a new product but NEC is taking forever to roll out IP networking and SIP trunks. They are way behind what I was told when the migration from DS1000/2000 to DSX family happened and I will be needing a networking option for 2 customers fairly soon. Thanks, Bob
Posted By: MnDave Re: SBX satisfaction - 03/23/10 06:06 PM
All of my networking and VoIP applications have been with the Vodavi XTS. My sales of SBX have been poor and so I have no VoIP apps with it as of yet. I also sell the NEC DSX because of it's simplicity, VoIP extensions and cheap but decent voice mail.

However, the VoIP apps that are available to the SBX right now are running circles around the DSX. The only down side is it's learning curve. If only there was a standard telcom glossary of terms for features and functions.
Posted By: Derrick Re: SBX satisfaction - 03/24/10 04:46 AM
I have two installed SBXs. I didn't care for the first one a bit, but have made no service calls on it since it installed over a year ago. The last one was with the new FP and, well my customer loves it. I have one going in today and two more large ones are being installed soon. There were a lot of bids and I got it based on what it would do for the price. They will be networked together, we shall see how that goes.
I am warming up to this system the more I sell it.
Posted By: MNCommunications Re: SBX satisfaction - 03/24/10 07:06 AM
I have done a couple SBX setups now and the first while it took some doing to get it done right has been trouble free. No service calls for more than a year. The second one just done last week will probably be the same thing. They didn't need much and this fit the bill. I also didn't sell the system but was the installer for it. I have found that the programming is easier through the sbx admin program than through the set. There are some things that are quirky with it. Such as not being able to put a vmail button on the phone (it is the call back button) But you can do a seperate call back button and label it vmail. Like mentioned the learning curve was steep for me but I can't say i didn't get the basics figured out.
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: SBX satisfaction - 03/24/10 08:46 AM
I've warmed up to it as well. We have not networked any, so I hope Derrick will report his outcome.
Posted By: Ray01 Re: SBX satisfaction - 03/24/10 10:36 AM
I have several SBX out in the field but no network. No problem so far. I am pleased with them but also know the improvements and upgrades will be great.
Posted By: Derrick Re: SBX satisfaction - 03/24/10 11:27 AM
You bet. I can you this one thing in advance. You have to provide Vertical the KSU serial numbers, this is not a code, but the actual number printed on the control unit in order to get the network unlock code. This code also comes with some client software for a pc that provides BLF for all phones for all systems along with some other info. You don't get blf lights for networked phones on the phone itself like you do with the XTS. Nor do you have centralized voice mail, all networked SBXs need to have their own VM card.
Posted By: Vgallagher Re: SBX satisfaction - 03/24/10 03:26 PM
Here's my first post...

I have several SBX 320's in the field. I love the system and what it can do. I have 4 networked and hundreds of miles between them. They are also using SIP trunks instead of POTS lines, being fed by an Edgemarc router. Not really approved or supported but if the WAVE can do it i thought I'd give the SBX a try and wow the money you can save a customer in a small market.
Posted By: dwflood Re: SBX satisfaction - 03/31/10 05:47 PM
We've installed a handful of the SBX, and for the most part never hear from the customer once the system is in and the wrinkles are ironed out.

Seems to be an ok system, but I never really cared for the admin software. Not intuitive at all.
Posted By: jsaad Re: SBX satisfaction - 04/02/10 06:56 AM
can you change the extension numbers to match a customer's old system, for example if they had 4 digit extensions or extensions starting with 2xx?
Posted By: Derrick Re: SBX satisfaction - 04/02/10 11:32 AM
Networking always uses 4 digit numbering and all numbers are flexible.
Posted By: aweaver Re: SBX satisfaction - 04/07/10 07:17 PM
We have some installed for over a year now and are happy with reliability. We tested the IP phone and CTI application with no problems to report--have not tested or installed any networked sites.
Posted By: phoneguy10 Re: SBX satisfaction - 04/14/10 08:00 AM
I have been a vodavi dealer since 2002. Tons of XTS/XTSc and STS out there. Have quite a few networked XTS sites and it works great. I have had an SBX on my test bench for a while, upgraded to FP 3.whatever and I just cant get used to it. Used to flash programming on the vodavi stuff and honestly programming through the phones on the SBX is a bear. I sell IPitomy on the IP side and we have been pretty happy with it, not perfect but pricewise its great and once you get over the networking issues its fine. The SBX is for some reason not doing it for me. I know its LG Nortel, but at this point I dont have a lot of faith in Vertical (financially) so I will stay with the XTS for as long as they have it and IPitomy.
Posted By: Ray01 Re: SBX satisfaction - 04/14/10 09:06 PM
Doing alot of programming by phone on the SBX is very tough. Using the PC Admin is alot better. With that, you can actually see so much more as to what is programmed on the switch. The SBX is very different from the STS/XTS but it is a good little system. Once you practice awhile on the PC for the SBX you will see a difference.
Posted By: Ironhedz Re: SBX satisfaction - 04/15/10 09:32 AM
The programming on the SBX takes me back to the Telenium line that Vodavi once had. Very similar to that system.
Posted By: phoneguy10 Re: SBX satisfaction - 04/15/10 12:31 PM
I have the SBX pc interface, its ok. Honestly, it seems better than it was but I still need to take a closer look. We just put in an XTSc (almost the last one around) and it is so easy to do, so easy to program and so easy to use flash programming that its hard to step away from it.
Posted By: billyho Re: SBX satisfaction - 05/01/10 11:21 AM
I have 30+ systems out there and I'm very happy with them. They go in fairly easily, are reliable, and the customers seem to like them.

I've tried lots of systems and for inexpensive systems this seems to be a well rounded system with very few drawbacks. So far I've only had a couple of situations where this system didn't fit well.

Once you get over the programming interface you'll find the system is quite flexible.
Posted By: Derrick Re: SBX satisfaction - 05/02/10 11:26 AM
Ths SBX bugs me a bit when compared to how easy the STS programs, but I can't always put a voip customer into an XTS even with the new price reductions. So the price is right, plus my customers like it a lot.
Posted By: dwflood Re: SBX satisfaction - 05/02/10 01:18 PM
Seems Vertical has incorporated a bunch of things we have been complaining about in the upcoming 3.5 release...

From their vconnect site announcement....

* Robust Voice Mail Feature Enhancements
o Cascade mailbox
o E-mail notification of voice mail
o Administrative mailbox
o Virtual mailboxes
o Announce only mailbox
o Class of Service (COS) settings
o Outcall retries/interval
o User enhancements
- Distribution lists
- Rewind, FF, pause/start when
listening to a message
- Future delivery, private message,
confirm receipt, dial-by-name on
sending a message
- Temporary greeting

* STS digital telephone support
* Call Screening (answer machine emulation)
* Caller ID name/number in call log
* Improved Administration
o All new parameters can be programmed
from the TUI or PCAdmin
o Improved voice prompt upgrade process
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help