atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: PKERN Vodavi STS Infinite - RS-232 connection - 04/11/11 02:24 PM
Not able to establish communication with the system via RS-232.

I just had the system loose all programming due to a long power failure. Got it reprogrammed and would like to back up the programming to a computer with Flash 86. Followed the settings in the manual, but have no connection on either RS-232 port 1 or port 2 of the KSU.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Derrick Re: Vodavi STS Infinite - RS-232 connection - 04/11/11 07:46 PM
I had nothing but problems myself trying to get an STS serial port to work.
Posted By: MnDave Re: Vodavi STS Infinite - RS-232 connection - 04/11/11 09:54 PM
Gee. I rarely have problems with the serial port and use it all the time. 9600/n/8/1. Are you using a straight thru cable? The Dispatch cable is a null modem cable.
Originally posted by MNDAVE:
Gee. I rarely have problems with the serial port and use it all the time. 9600/n/8/1. Are you using a straight thru cable? The Dispatch cable is a null modem cable.
Ditto.
Posted By: adteldon Re: Vodavi STS Infinite - RS-232 connection - 04/12/11 05:26 AM
I don't recall ever having a problem connecting to an STS through the serial ports. My question is that you said STS "Infinite"? Infinite and STS are two different systems. I do recall having an issue with the Mach 1 that used Infinite phones. Something to do with the serial card not having a plastic washer on the screw that straps it into the KSU.? I think it was grounding itself out or something.
Posted By: PKERN Re: Vodavi STS Infinite - RS-232 connection - 04/12/11 10:59 AM
Ah, the Null Modem cable is the culprit!

Regarding the STS and Infinite being different systems: Yes, when I first took over service on this, my supplier said "that's not possible, those phones (3015 & 3011-71) won't work on the V70 3500-01 KSU." He finally helped me conclude, based on the chip set, that it is Software Upgraded to a Infinite system. So I get to support a system that technically does not exist :-)

Thank you all for your input on this.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Vodavi STS Infinite - RS-232 connection - 04/12/11 11:24 AM
Oh, it technically exists alright. It is just sold only through authorized dealers. The mainstream version of the STS does not support those phones.
Posted By: Derrick Re: Vodavi STS Infinite - RS-232 connection - 04/12/11 07:38 PM
Originally posted by MNDAVE:
My troubles were mostly with trying to get the pc admin to work and yes I was using the STS version. wink
Posted By: MnDave Re: Vodavi STS Infinite - RS-232 connection - 04/12/11 09:53 PM
PC Admin? What is that??? No, seriously, long ago, in a galaxy far away, when Star Wars 4 was still Star Wars 1, my fingers memorized the terminal method. Being able to perform real time changes without uploading and rebooting has always been my preferred approach.

Now when we talk SBX, I don't dare touch it without the PC Admin program.
Posted By: adteldon Re: Vodavi STS Infinite - RS-232 connection - 04/13/11 10:32 AM
Actually Ed, once Vertical took over Vodavi, they "relaxed" the authorized "gold" dealer thing. I'm a Bronze and have been purchasing "Gold" products since they became Vertical. I don't think they would sell it to an unauthorized dealer, but Bronze, Silver , and Gold levels seem to be all the same now.
Posted By: MnDave Re: Vodavi STS Infinite - RS-232 connection - 04/13/11 06:18 PM
Bronze, Silver , and Gold levels seem to be all the same now.
What a wonderful thing to learn now that the STSe was just discontinued two weeks ago! I was only a Silver for years.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Vodavi STS Infinite - RS-232 connection - 04/13/11 07:56 PM
Yep, I guess that gold is of no value in Verticalville either. I had no idea. I suppose that part of it is my fault since regular communication with dealers effectively ceased and we were expected to navigate our way through that blasted Web site to find out things on our own. I still can't find half of what I need and often have to contact my inside sales rep. I guess that I'm not computer savvy enough.

I sure miss Vodavi.
Posted By: MnDave Re: Vodavi STS Infinite - RS-232 connection - 04/15/11 11:54 AM
So I could have been purchasing the 3501-01 KSU all along? There go a few lost sales opportunities for the STSe.
Posted By: Derrick Re: Vodavi STS Infinite - RS-232 connection - 04/15/11 12:45 PM
When I ordered the 3501-00, sometimes I would end up with a 3501-01 instead.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help