atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: BradM Starplus 616 line 2 not working - 07/21/11 09:57 AM
Hi all, it's me again

I've diagnosed as many things as I possibly can, and can't come up with a way to solve this. Only thing I haven't done is a full reset, and that's only going to happen if someone thinks it'll help.

Incoming Line 2 never makes it to any of the handsets. I've swapped the incoming cable to other lines and get dialtone with the correct phone #. I've also tried other incoming cables into line 2 and still get nothing.

We only have 4 lines coming in, so I can easily use one of the spare 2, but it gets a bit confusing since our main two phone lines in are now split between 1 & 3.

Anyone have an idea on how to solve this other than replacing the KSU (or replacing it and getting it fixed as a spare)?
Posted By: JWRacedog Re: Starplus 616 line 2 not working - 07/21/11 01:46 PM
Do you have a Vodavi 616 Flex? Or is this a newer system. I'll answer as if you have a 616 Flex. Sounds as if port number 2 on the KSU (steel cabinet) is bad. The only thing you can do is to put line two into port three, line three into port 4, line 4 into port 5. On your phones you would have an empty line appearance where line two was.

Now--Ports 1, 3 & 4 are programmed to do something maybe---but we don't know about port 5. It will have to be programmed if there are some things that don't work right on port 5.

Also---Ports 1, 3 & 4 are programmed to ring at certain phones---port 5 is perhaps not programmed to ring where you want it to ring.

If you don't have a manual or you've never programmed this system--perhaps you're going to need some help from a local Vodavi tech.

You can go ahead and reset the system--most of the time, it won't hurt anything---but be careful. This is an older system and the memory may not hold the programming if it's shut off. It all depends on if the KSU has a lot of customization to it, or if everything is at default.

I'd get the number of a technician who knows this system and keep it ready. Best case scenario is you're not going to have line appearance two. If that's a big deal---look at replacing the KSU.
Posted By: Derrick Re: Starplus 616 line 2 not working - 07/21/11 06:42 PM
If you can press the line 2 key and get nothing but line 2 shows up on the display you have a bad port. Resetting will not fix this problem. I have had them refuse to release a line, it stays lit and a reset will usually fix that. You can also plug a toner into the port, and hear it if the port is good.
Posted By: skip555 Re: Starplus 616 line 2 not working - 07/21/11 07:22 PM
if having a blank between line one and two bothers you move 1 to 3 and use 3,4,5,and 6 leaving 1&2 blank
Posted By: keytel Re: Starplus 616 line 2 not working - 07/22/11 04:25 AM
If its a 616 Flex, your line 2 button can easily
be reprogrammed for a different line using *05
programming.
Posted By: MnDave Re: Starplus 616 line 2 not working - 07/22/11 04:42 PM
The 616FLEX was a grey cabinet. The 616EX was black. The EX doesn't permit flex button programming while the Flex as Paul says, does. The basic programming was so easy that I could still do ring assignments without even cracking the manual.
Posted By: BradM Re: Starplus 616 line 2 not working - 07/27/11 12:39 PM
Yes, it's a 616Flex.

Thanks for the info everyone. Was hoping this was a common problem and had an easy solution (ie: component X is usually the culprit, replace it)

I do have the full manual, and may investigate re-arranging the lines using *05, but for now, we just have a gap at line 2.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help