atcomsystems.ca/forum
Like the title says, when I press the voicemail button all it does is ring until you get bored and hang up.

I tried connecting via serial cable but that is providing me with nothing.

I am running linux, using screen (which is most reliable, nothing) even minicom. It acts like it connects but gives me a blank screen. Eve used hyperterminal to connect COM3, it just says connected with nothing else happening.
You can try to power cycle it to restore it to service but this usually means the hard drive is failing. You can't power cycle a failing unit too often without the hard drive completely failing and becoming unreadable with simple recovery tools.
I don't use hyperterm to connect. I guess it might work. I always use e-com terminal software that comes packaged with the admin software. I have that on my web site.

Like Dave said, a power cycle should bring it back online unless the hard drive bios hosed up.
How does one power cycle the unit? Also, I did replace the hdd with the same exact model. Even cloned the information off the old hdd to the new one.
How does one power cycle the unit?
By unplugging the power supply for a few seconds.
You probably cloned a corrupted HD. I only transfer the customer files to a good known working HD.
Well there is a coin battery in it as well, which more then likely preserves the memory incase power is cut off.

Just removed that now.
No luck, will check out e-com terminal...
Sort of at a loss right now. Could it be the board is fried completly?
Also, where can I get a copy of the In-Skins Admin software? Was never given a CD and cannot seem to find a downloadable online. Found one link but it is just an error 404.
See Derrick's post (#3) above.
Admin 316?
When I launch that, it says connection lost or trying to reboot.
This is on Both Boxes.
You'll need to verify your settings in ADMIN. It is trying to connect via a com port that you don't have. Despite the fact that this message box will continually pop up, just keep ignoring it and go to the settings link at the top of the options bar. Go down to port setup. Make sure that you have this set to match your local serial port. The other settings, such as baud rate, etc. should not need to be changed.

Last but not least, make sure that you are using a null-modem cable.
What are the lights on the side of the Talkpath when you try to power it up? Just curious. I have had to delete the .dolkey file when putting in a cloned/imaged drive in as a replacement.

But you need to be able to connect to it first to do that.
Which voice-mail are we talking about?
When the model voice mail is not mentioned in the original post we techs are going to assume it is a Talkpath or Dispatch. Our troubleshooting suggestions are going to be much different than for an inskin flash based or hardrive based.

One type uses a serial cable another a null modem. The hardrive inskin has a connection for monitor and keyboard.

Ncphoneman has it right-you need to verify exactly what type of voice mail it is.

I strongly wish I could tell you, I have no documentation on this and there is no model number listed on it. The grey vodavi box had model 5000-00. Googled voice mail with it.

It strongly resembles:
Vodavi Communications System Inc Digital Voice Mail DHD-04 Dolphin 303-04

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vodavi-Com...-04-/310662414639?_trksid=p2054897.l4276 (not my posting, just a picture of what it looks like.

The box already had a serial cable attached to it.
oobie: On the left side of the box there are eight leds numbered 1-8. All are solid red but 1 (the first led labeled one).
The voice mail, if it is a grey box, is an analog system, if light or dark blue it is a digital voice mail. The admin 316 software is correct, and to connect you do need to use a null modem cable. The cable that came with the system is grey. The admin software is designed to work with XP or older Windows OS. I have never installed in on a linux pc.

As a note the voice mail could be a Dispatch or Talkpath or Dolphin. It's all the same box.
oh, eCom that other software that comes with the install. It just says it is the wrong port and nothing else.
Derrik : Ya I have tested this out on a laptop running xp. The software and hyperterminal just is not pulling anything up.

How can I tell if it is Dispatch/Talkpath/Dolphin? This thing has no labeling whatsoever.
Oh wow, eCom actually opened this time!?
I take it I press dial modem and inter the number that is written down on the modems phone line?
It will be better to connect thru a com port, not a modem. The modem is for remote access. Do you have a db9 serial port on your laptop or pc? If not you will need a usb serial adapter. If you do you need to know which com port it is and tell the admin software as well. Connect the voice mail directly to your pc, don't try to use the modem.
Ya I have been using the COM through ports. Using a usb to RS-232. Installed on COM3.

There just is not connection between the two.
For the eCom, my question is. I just open it with the connections there making sure that the preferences are set right. Then it should send me to a menu?
On the bottom left of eCom, it has the status COM3 9600 8n1 (How do I change the 8n1?)
You shouldn't have to, but to change them, click on preferences at the top, then parameters. Make your changes there and click OK.
I think one of the very best things you could do at this time is call a Vodavi Tech. Do not mean this in a bad way but you are jumping around all over the place. Do yourself a favor & get you some onsite help. All of these guys are telling you the correct things. But honestly you seem lost. A good tech will save you plenty.

David
If you are IT why would you believe you would use a modem when sitting in front of the unit. Do you have an understanding of communication?
As one of my old IT supervisors had told me, if you are not breaking things. You are not learning.

Well Success! Finally established connection via serial. Even through a virtual xp.

It is a Vodavi Communications Systems Model:
DHD-02
Issue:1
Revision : 1.2

It boots to System Bios Configuration.

No bootable device available, so I have replaced the Ide with a new one, just apparently it does not know what do do with the new one.

So in the +DIE0 box I have attempted R, S, ESC after the +DIE0 and pressing send. It seems to hand and does nothing. The RXD lights up for a sec after the TXD well because I send the command.
You still need help. You could have read that info on the side of the unit. You still need help.
Is this not a place to converse with people who may have had the same issues as I am facing now? A community to help one another resolve issues so there are more people that an help inform others as well. Hence Forum.
Think about it, I go here asking for help and your best response is, "you need help." Bit silly & redundant is it not?

See, now got it to recognize the hdd now.

Finally have C:\HELLO> to show. ^-^
Plus I could not find the technicians manual. Friday I managed to find one! So I am no longer walking in the dark for this system and can actually read decent information as to what to do to get it up and running again.

Since I finally have a cmd prompt to execute commands, I am finally making progress.
You have received help from the forum members. The purpose of the open forums is to give basic help to users, not step by step technical instructions. The good people of this board have spent years and hard earned cash to get the knowledge they have, just as you or your employer has in your training.

The "you need help" statement means, you need help beyond what the the rules of this forum allow.
[SOLVED]

If you get a beep code of three it does not like hdd.

Thank so much again for the of you who tried to help as to the best of their knowledge to help alleviate the situation with me.
Trust me. You'll always need help.
Originally Posted by l3l00
How does one power cycle the unit? Also, I did replace the hdd with the same exact model. Even cloned the information off the old hdd to the new one.

By pulling out the black power cord or unplugging the transformer/power supply from the wall. Surely you powered it down before replacing the hard drive? Or am I missing something.
I sure hope you got it going. You have had some of the best technicians offer you help. Derrick, nfcphoneman, Ed, Oobie are the best of the best, even better than some Vodavi/Vertical tech support. And you just blew them off because you're an I T guy. I hope the system was for your personal use because if it was for a company they must be having some doubts about your ability. But I see you became a phone guy 6 days ago. What gave you away was you trying to access the voice mail thru the modem with the equipment in front of you.

Happy trails
I think we have done all we can do to help here.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help