atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Clint R AT&T Expansion Handset Link to Base - 07/05/11 07:18 AM
We've ownd an AT&T Model 5870 Base with one Model 5800 Expansion Handset for several years. We recently bought a newer Model 5800 Expansion Handset at a garage sale but can't figure out out to link it to the base unit. The instructions list it as compatible with the 5870 Base but the registration procedure requires a 15 digit base ID, but the base ID on our 5870 Base only has 14 digits. I've tried inserting a zero in various places but nothing has worked. Does anyone know how to link a handset that calls for a 15 digit base ID to a base with a 14 digit ID??
Posted By: dexman Re: AT&T Expansion Handset Link to Base - 07/05/11 09:28 AM
The 5800-series telephones have been off the market for quite a while.

Try contacting VTech/AAT (Advanced American Telephones) and explain the situation. They may have a solution. It does seem odd to have a handset with an wrong number of digits in the ID.

https://telephones.att.com/att/index.cfm/product-support/contact-us/

If you check the existing handsets (the one that came with your telephone and the 1 expansion unit you already have) are the IDs 14 or 15 digits long?

VTech/ATT produced a 3358 telephone which looked very similar to the 5830/5840/5870 sets. While I've never seen or used one, the IDs may have been 15 digits long.
Posted By: Clint R Re: AT&T Expansion Handset Link to Base - 07/05/11 03:35 PM
The two Model 5800 expansion handsets appear to be identical. The BASE ID has 14 digits but the program in the newer handset requests that a 15 digit BASE ID be entered. Since I haven't been able to enter an acceptable 15 digit base ID, the handset won't link to the base.
Posted By: dexman Re: AT&T Expansion Handset Link to Base - 07/05/11 05:22 PM
I have a few 5800 expansion sets (from when I used a 5840) tucked away. I'm in the process of charging one up and will report how many digits it expects to see.
Posted By: dexman Re: AT&T Expansion Handset Link to Base - 07/05/11 06:24 PM
Ok....after finding 2 working battery packs, I checked my 2 spare expansion handsets and both are looking for a base code that contains 15 digits.

I checked our (2) 5840 bases and the codes that appears on the LCD when I select "Base ID" from the menu both contains 15 digits.

I'm not sure why the base code for the 5870 only gives 14 digits. I think I had a 5870 at one time (back when I was writing lots of telephone reviews for epinions.com). I know that the 5870's base does not have an LCD. If the code is printed on the base, could 1 digit have worn off?

My thought is to contact VTech/AAT and see what they say.
Posted By: Clint R Re: AT&T Expansion Handset Link to Base - 07/06/11 07:15 PM
"If the code is printed on the base, could 1 digit have worn off?"

dexman,

Your question caused me to take another look at the base ID. After a series of 14 numbers, there is a space and a very small asterisk (asterisk size instead of letter size). When I added an asterisk to the 14 numbers, it worked!

Thanks, Clint
Posted By: dexman Re: AT&T Expansion Handset Link to Base - 07/08/11 12:29 PM
Glad I could help! laugh
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help