atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: answersman Considering DS-2000 - 03/04/05 11:51 PM
Don't let my name fool you! I'm the new kid on the block and I have some basic questions re our selection of a new phone system. I've been strongly considering the DS-2000 system as it appears to be feature rich and seemingly within my "limited" ability to install myself. My questions are: 1)Will the system manuals likely enable a layperson to successfully complete installation? (I've previously moved/reinstalled our current keysystem) 2)Is this system stable and trustworthy in a typical office application, or is it considered temperamental & prone to have problems? 3) How long is NEC expected to sell/promote/support this system? 4)Is there another system (NEC or otherwise) that I should be considering? Thanks for any and all input.
Posted By: nectec Re: Considering DS-2000 - 03/05/05 09:33 AM
The DS2000 is a great system any very advanced for the price. Its digital,easy to install, only requires 1 pair for each station and the Intramail if you decide to use it simply plugs into the processor and is truly plug and play. The system is dependable and very expandable. The only thing you would have to do to install the equipment is to make sure you can put on some modular connectors for the wiring to the station block or buy some ready made cables. The system cards DSTU, ASTU and ATRU, all have RJ45 connectors.

------------------
Louisa Telephone Service
Posted By: groundstart Re: Considering DS-2000 - 03/05/05 05:24 PM
I 2nd the motion..........excellent system...
Posted By: answersman Re: Considering DS-2000 - 03/05/05 07:11 PM
Thanks guys! You're confirming my initial thoughts. I genuinely appreciate your input.

Any comments re NEC's long-term commitment to this system?

Also, it appears the VM now provided with the DS2000 is referred to as "Intramail" (NEC#80044 or 88) which has apparently replaced something called NVM or NVM2e? Am I correct in my understanding? I found the on-line info a bit confusing... it's either out of date or intentionally misleading. If I'm correct, which of these two (80044 or 88) do you recommend? Finally, where will I likely find the best price? Our local Graybar offers the 80099 package w/VM for about $x,xxx (+tx)... should I keep looking? Thanks for your time, patience and advice. Dan (aka answersman)

[This message has been edited by dtmf (edited March 06, 2005).]
Posted By: groundstart Re: Considering DS-2000 - 03/05/05 07:35 PM
PLEASE DONT QUOTE PRICES....................

The NVM was the older Flash Based Voicebrick style.

It is still used on some installations, but the Intramail & Ultramail are the bread & butters...

PLEASE HAVE THE MOD. ERASE THE PRICES.....
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: Considering DS-2000 - 03/05/05 07:39 PM
What is wrong with him quoting prices from Graybar? The DS2000 is an over the counter system without needind to be a dealor...and in fact dealors cannot purchase these systems exept THOUGH Graybar or other retailer. This would be akin to quoting jack inserts.
Posted By: answersman Re: Considering DS-2000 - 03/05/05 08:19 PM
Sorry guys!!! Certainly didn't mean to upset anyone, nor spill the beans. I simply figured you were already aware of this info and may have some other suggestions as to where I should look. This bullentinboard is certainly your domain and you've obviously invested a great deal of time and effort... I'm just looking for some direction in your area of expertise. I really do appreciate your guidance thus far, as well as anything else you may care to share. Thanks, Dan
Posted By: nectec Re: Considering DS-2000 - 03/05/05 08:38 PM
I would go with the Intramail verses Ultramail. Intramail comes in either 4 port 4 hour record or 8 port 8 hour record time. The Intramail is a PC card and plugs into the processor board and does not use any station ports. The Ultramail plugs into a slot in the DS2000 cabinet and does take station ports, making less ports useable for actual telephones. As Groundstart suggested I would stay away from the NVM mail.
Posted By: groundstart Re: Considering DS-2000 - 03/06/05 03:51 AM
Actually I recently found out that GRAYBAR is selling fone systems to whoever walks in the door....

My NEC area rep told me that if they find out that an enduser purchases a DS system from GRAYBAR, their rights to sell the system will be yanked........
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: Considering DS-2000 - 03/06/05 01:16 PM
How is that? I thought anyone could buy the DS2000 over the counter there. I mean they also sell Panasonic and whatnot as well.
Posted By: groundstart Re: Considering DS-2000 - 03/06/05 01:34 PM
Do you think it fair business practices to have a company like Graybar sell to an enduser at the same time you, the hard working trying to survive phoneman stands next to him in line....
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: Considering DS-2000 - 03/06/05 06:04 PM
I am just wondering GS. I haven't seen where you need to be a certified Tech or dealor to use the DS2000 and I thought that's why it was there.
Posted By: clgjr Re: Considering DS-2000 - 03/06/05 06:19 PM
NEC should do something about graybar overcharging prices on the ds-series! Coral tech is right, anybody has the right to buy this system. But if you need tech support from NEC you do have to be certified. Personanlly I think selling to the end user is a bad idea. For one the average joe bob has no clue of even how to use the damn thing, let alone install one properly.
Posted By: HK91_Tool Re: Considering DS-2000 - 03/06/05 07:13 PM
Ditto...

How many other manufacturers have gotten a bad name from non-cert. installs where switches don't work right. NEC's are by far the most involved initial software program intensive systems I have worked on. Highly customizeable, but you need to program most everything to your taste. It's the best and the worst thing about them.
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: Considering DS-2000 - 03/06/05 07:24 PM
Yes and no. They simply have another piece of equipment to cover a customer base they think they need to. I used to be rather annoyed at the DS2000 when we were selling the i-series because it was very simular. But when you started looking at apps it really wasn't the same nor as capable.
Posted By: Guntech Re: Considering DS-2000 - 03/20/05 04:49 PM
Unfortunately NEC has stated that they will do nothing about Graybar selling to the end user. They have no intentions of changing this policy either. Graybar couldn't care less who they get the check from, and in the process will drive the DS series into the ground. Every other 5 star NEC dealer I've talked to is looking for another system to replace the DS series.

big hooray to NEC eh?
Posted By: groundstart Re: Considering DS-2000 - 03/21/05 02:59 AM
HIP HIP HORRAY FOR NEC.........

THey are #2 in Sales in North America behind you know who......
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: Considering DS-2000 - 03/21/05 04:04 AM
I don't know of any NEC 5 star dealers that sell the DS series over the Aspire.
Posted By: cconley Re: Considering DS-2000 - 03/24/05 01:33 AM
Back to the question at hand... there are plenty of retailers you can purchase the DS series equipment from that blow Graybar away in pricing. I would agree with the forum that the consumer/end user is really getting the short end of they have a non-certified tech install the system.. alot to go wrong and little recourse... Of course, that just means service calls for those of us who are certified.. right? This is the same for the KX-TD series from Panasonic that Graybar blindly sells to any Electrician who thinks they can install a phone system for a customer... and then who do they call when it doesn't work or the programming is not right...

Anyhow... just do a Google search for NEC DS1000 or DS2000 and you will find 3-4 reputable online retailers who carry the series with more competitive pricing than Graybar and will give you alot more hand holding support if you need it...

------------------
Posted By: BillFlippen Re: Considering DS-2000 - 03/24/05 08:11 AM
I personnally never played with the DS series, but wasn't it initially design to be the next Generation Portrait or Onyx?. Something to act as a rung between the Onyx and the i-series?
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: Considering DS-2000 - 03/24/05 01:52 PM
It's a system NEC puts out (old Nitsuko) for the general public to buy and install. Panasonic and Vodavi have been doing it for years. Why I have a problem of someone complaining about posting pricing is that you don't even have to be certified to use it. It's like posting the cost of jack inserts between Graybar and Home Depot. If the local Joe thinks he can install it and get it done God Bless them...I am sure we all will charge the correct amount after it's screwed up. I was rather pissed when I first saw the DS phones because they look VERY simular to the i-series. But, the system is more like an onyx than an i-series.
Posted By: Tip&Ring Re: Considering DS-2000 - 03/24/05 03:45 PM
I was talking to a field engineer the other day at NEC while working on a software issue on an Aspire system and could hear another tech support guy in the background trying to explain to someone about how the CO lines terminated on a USOC jack and plug for the DS series!

NEC tech support is plauged with calls by novice people installing the DS series systems, it causes dealers and techs valuable time and money for us to have to wait in "on hold land" while they have to deal with the "across the counter sales".
I wish they would drop it altogether and let dealers and techs who have paid for the training install these systems.

It gives the whole industry a bad look from people that think they can just hook up a pair of wires.....

DJ
Posted By: clgjr Re: Considering DS-2000 - 03/24/05 04:16 PM
You mean NEC is helping people that are not certified on the ds series?.... Its not hard to get certified just do the workbook and send the answers to NEC.
Posted By: wanebo Re: Considering DS-2000 - 03/30/05 09:01 AM
Hmmm,

I've installed a couple of the DS series. Pretty nice and feature rich for their size. Haven't had any problems so far with them breaking down.

Any contact info or a website to go to for getting certified on this system? I can see where having the cert would be beneficial in helping to sell the box and install.
Posted By: clgjr Re: Considering DS-2000 - 03/30/05 02:16 PM
You need to call NEC customer Care to get the workbook for Certification!
Posted By: nectec Re: Considering DS-2000 - 03/31/05 08:50 PM
It helps to have a system (but not mandatory) to use for programming when doing the workbook. I did my certification when I was installing a system and found it easier if you had a system to work with. If the system is for a customer be sure to default it and reprogram to customer specs before installing.
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: Considering DS-2000 - 04/01/05 03:39 AM
I just went and cleaned up a DS for customer 2 days ago. Never even touched one before but all the NEC/Nitsuko/Vanguard serial connections work with the system. Seems pretty straight forward...except for the fixed forwarding which seems a little vague IMHO. Apparently some 3 techs and 3 weeks later they couldn't get it working. I don't know how you couldn't with the manual. It is what it is, it's a low end, inexpensive system, that has a decent amount of features. The phones kinda look like the iseries and the Aspire phones had sex and this was there baby.
Posted By: groundstart Re: Considering DS-2000 - 04/01/05 06:33 AM
The next version of the DS phones which will be called the DSX are gonna look like the Aspire phones which will probably cause an uproar....
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help