atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: BIGDOG3c NEC IPK VMAIL backup - 04/11/05 05:12 AM
I may be bringing up an old post, I search back to to December and did not see anything on it.

I am going to try and find a way to back up the onboard vmail on the IPK.( without taking up to 3 hours).

If anybody has already worked on this please let me know your findings.

These are failing at a very high rate and I want to see what I can to help speed up the recovery time.

------------------
[Linked Image from home.columbus.rr.com]

PARALLEL TECHNOLOGIES INC.

WWW.ABUGSEYEVIEW.COM

[This message has been edited by BIGDOG3c (edited April 11, 2005).]
Posted By: chrislebeck Re: NEC IPK VMAIL backup - 04/11/05 05:44 PM
only way i know of is to use the bru utility. and it does take forever and the vm is down the whole time. it really sucks how they did that. there should be a better way.
Posted By: BIGDOG3c Re: NEC IPK VMAIL backup - 04/11/05 06:07 PM
Well its on my todo list. If I come up with a better way. I will let you know.

------------------

WWW.ABUGSEYEVIEW.COM
Posted By: chrislebeck Re: NEC IPK VMAIL backup - 04/11/05 08:51 PM
please do!

now let me ask you what kind of vm is it?

a vms? still would probably have to use bru

a fms, cms, vmp(non hard drive)? you can archive the database, shut down the vm, pop the cf card into a reader (cf to pcmcia or a usb cf reader) then read the archive off of it pretty fast! then pop it back into the vm & reboot it.
-----------------------------------------
now moving the archive from a fms, cms, vmp to a newer vmp will not work as the databases would probably be different. much better to rebuild from scratch. but you could use cosessions to copy the greetings etc to the drive & do the same above (pop the cf out etc......). that would be ok. as long as you're going from the same platforn to the same platform AND the same version to the same version (newer platforms don't like the older databases either)

[This message has been edited by chrislebeck (edited April 11, 2005).]
Posted By: BIGDOG3c Re: NEC IPK VMAIL backup - 04/12/05 04:41 AM
Its the hard drive ones I am working on. We have had EVERYONE fail that we have put in.

So I want to come up with a recovery plan. The hours spent on rebuilding these have really stacked up.

I want to knock the time down to a couple of hours from start to finish.

------------------

WWW.ABUGSEYEVIEW.COM
Posted By: chrislebeck Re: NEC IPK VMAIL backup - 04/12/05 05:37 PM
no easy way there. you could get a usb to 2.5" laptop drive adapter thingy to read off the stuff pretty fast.

the drive is just dos.
Posted By: new2nec Re: NEC IPK VMAIL backup - 04/13/05 12:16 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chrislebeck:
no easy way there. you could get a usb to 2.5" laptop drive adapter thingy to read off the stuff pretty fast.

the drive is just dos.
</font>

Since I have the attention of the two NEC techs here, I have a small suggestion on this route:

Most of the newer computer mobo's allow you to boot off your compact flash reader (USB based.) Just select it off the bios.

I have a couple of 128 mb compact flashes that are loaded with different OSes just for quick recovery from disasters.

I have seen adapters from standard 40 pin IDE to laptop 2.5" IDE's. Why not just get one of them and plug into your motherboard, just for these instances?

I have a CF setup for each DOS 6.22, Win 98, Win2K, and WinXP. I have successfully booted from USB CF reader, get to a prompt, and can "see" other compatible harddrive partions.

Most recently, I have successfully "xcopied" the content of a CF/64mb of a FMS(2) and put it into a bigger CF/128mb card. I put the 128mb CF card back into the FMS. It booted, and proceeded to start up the VM. However, it acts as if the VM system is "not activated."

So, I think that if you are trying to just "copy the content" then it's pretty easy to do. However, I think you would still have to get a new activation code from NEC for any new media (CF or harddrive) that you deposit the drive content into, unless there's a hidden/system file that is not accessible to XCOPY and/or DOS that holds the activation info.

What do you think?
Posted By: chrislebeck Re: NEC IPK VMAIL backup - 04/13/05 08:12 PM
that sounds right.

still think it would "see" that something is different and want a new key code tho
Posted By: BIGDOG3c Re: NEC IPK VMAIL backup - 04/14/05 02:46 AM
I wonder if you ghosted the original drive to it if it would work.

I am new dealing with the NEC vmail. I have been working on the Keyvoice product for years. They have the ability to shutdown and do a routing maint.

Does the Nec have a similar routing for routine Maint. Or do they think that DOS does not need defragged?

When I get a chance I am going to dig deep into the NEC vmail and see what I can come up with.

------------------

WWW.ABUGSEYEVIEW.COM
Posted By: chrislebeck Re: NEC IPK VMAIL backup - 04/14/05 05:34 PM
you can set it to do a routine defrag/scandisk.

can't remember off hand where in the vm it is. either easymade apps or the switch setup pages.
------------------------------------------

try to ghost it. it may work!?
Posted By: new2nec Re: NEC IPK VMAIL backup - 04/14/05 09:31 PM
I will try to ghost it this weekend, and report back as to the results.
Posted By: chrislebeck Re: NEC IPK VMAIL backup - 04/15/05 02:29 PM
there used to be a guy on here that worked for active voice (people who make the vm). classofservice i think is his handle. he might have a better answer 4u
Posted By: Tip&Ring Re: NEC IPK VMAIL backup - 04/16/05 05:12 PM
Not real sure how NEC BSSD does thier drives but the drives both hard and Compact flash units in the Aspire, DS and I series have hidden serial numbers that are not seen by any OS other than the manufacturer.

Thats why you have to pretty much have to send these back when the hard drive fails or there is enough damage done to the flash units.

DJ
Posted By: BIGDOG3c Re: NEC IPK VMAIL backup - 04/16/05 05:54 PM
Thanks for all the responses and Ideas!

Why I am looking to do this is disaster recovery. When the hard drive fails, I want to be able to rebuild the drives back to the original state from the last back up. I may just need to copy over key files for the vmail. files that contain the vmail structer and the recorded promts. maybe even name, greetings and messages. Depends on what its going to take.

I understand I might have to replace it with another vmail from NEC, when I do, I want the onsite time to be minimal.

I rather spend a few bucks up front then pay a tech 8 plus hours rebuilding a voicemail. When a backup can cut the cost down to 1 hour.

------------------

WWW.ABUGSEYEVIEW.COM

[This message has been edited by BIGDOG3c (edited April 16, 2005).]
Posted By: new2nec Re: NEC IPK VMAIL backup - 04/19/05 03:49 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tipandring:
Not real sure how NEC BSSD does thier drives but the drives both hard and Compact flash units in the Aspire, DS and I series have hidden serial numbers that are not seen by any OS other than the manufacturer.

Thats why you have to pretty much have to send these back when the hard drive fails or there is enough damage done to the flash units.

DJ
</font>

I think you are right about this hidden serial number stuff. I just tried "ghosting" the image of the existing CF 64MB over to a 128MB and even a 512MB.

After booting up, both of the ghosted drives act like they are "new" and requires activating. Obviously, the hidden serial number must be in the Master Boot Record, or somehow outside of the data area that's reachable by normal dos utils.

So, so much for my experiment. If I have some more time, I will take Norton Utilities and go through the drive and see what's abnormal about this setup that comes from NEC.

I gotta be careful about this exercise though, since one wrong keystroke can render my CF useless.

Yikes!!! what a scary thought.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help